Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LKA3babies

Delivering baby before 39 weeks?

LKA3babies

Okay so I just recently got diagnosed in March with a late onset of type 1 diabetes.. a month later I was pregnant. Currently, I'm 35 weeks, 4 days. My baby girl has not been doing good.. non stress tests show low heart rates. I'm scheduled for a repeat c section December 28th at which point I'll be 39 weeks... I have to have biophysical profile Ultra sounds once a week along with non stress tests and ob appointments once a week. I am wondering if I can request to have her as soon as possible.. this is very stressful and I can't take the thought of losing my baby. Has anyone went through anything similar with diabetes and pregnancy and how soon did you have baby?

mystiquarte

hi LKA3babies unless there is drastic health complications most ob/gyn's won't deliver you before 38-40wks as the last thing to mature are the lungs if born to earlier your bub could be in the NICU
you could however ask if he'd deliver you at 38wks around the 21st dec

good luck i hope all goes well for a smooth birth

William V

38 weeks has risks. Our 12 yr old son was taken early at 38 weeks due to a ripped placenta and growth had stopped. Small baby at birth. Lungs were developed enough to breath on own. Poorly immune system as caught everything for first five years. Aka was constantly sick. Still a runt today. Hopefully puberty will allow him to catch up with his age group.

funkynassau

My son was born at 37 wks, 9 lbs 6 ozs!  He'd have been 11 lbs if my water hadn't broken when it did.  At the time I dont know if I had diabetes as testing wasn't routine then, but I was asked after if I had been checked, because he was so big.

He was perfectly fine.  As long as you do what the docs say you keep the odds in your favour.

Hammer

My sister's boy, who is now 26 years old, was born in 28 weeks.  As was mentioned, the last things to develop are the lungs, but his developed okay.  One thing you might not know is that preemies have a higher chance of having a poor sense of balance throughout their life.  That means that they can't ride a bike, they can't stand on a chair or a ladder, and they may not want to drive a car because they don't feel comfortable trying to control something that they are in that is moving.  This is the case with my nephew, and his father researched it and told me about it.

dowling gram

I don't know how diabetes complicates things but 38 weeks is almost full term. My sister was born at 28 weeks in a time when there were no such thing as incubators. At least there wasn't in the rural town where she was born. She weighed 1 1/2 pounds at birth. She grew up with no complications from her early birth. Today she is 74 years old.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.