Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Dave_KC

New to here, new to diabetes (type 2)

Dave_KC

I found out the Tuesday before Thanksgiving that my blood work came back as consistent with diabetes.  So, now I'm in the learning curve of what's going on, and how to manage this. 

Anyway, I've been in various communities like this in the past for other things, and looking forward to learning from everyone here.  

Kit

Hi Dave, welcome to the group.

The people here are friendly and helpful.  Feel free to ask any questions you may have.  You can't learn if you don't ask.  :)

Edited by Kit

adiantum

Hi Dave, Welcome to the forum.

Lucky your blood was tested before it elevated after consuming Thanksgiving  feast or it couldve been a greater shock.

Dave_KC

Hi Dave, Welcome to the forum.

Lucky your blood was tested before it elevated after consuming Thanksgiving  feast or it couldve been a greater shock.

First, thanks everyone for the welcome.  

By finding out early, I was actually able to be careful at Thanksgiving, and started to modify my diet before I went to my sister's house for Thanksgiving.  

I have done low carb diets in the past, so I'm familiar with some of the concepts of watching carbs.  

adiantum

Great... your already a winner :)

First, thanks everyone for the welcome.  

By finding out early, I was actually able to be careful at Thanksgiving, and started to modify my diet before I went to my sister's house for Thanksgiving.  

I have done low carb diets in the past, so I'm familiar with some of the concepts of watching carbs.  

terri3

Welcome I've only been here a short while but everyone is friendly and great at answering questions and believe me I've asked alot

control

Thanksgiving.  

The main concept for a low carb Thanksgiving is watching the carbs...pass you by on the way to the person on either side of you.

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. I know how worse the diagnosis can be if it is right before the Holidays. I was diagnosed almost six years ago right before Christmas and because I couldn't see my regular doctor until after the first of the year I had a basically carbless Christmas and New Years. The good news is I have found low carb alternatives to all my Holiday favorites (Google: low car + name of favorite food) and eating low carb has helped me to lose a ton of weight that helped me control my insulin resistance better.

Dave_KC

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.  I'm looking forward to being involved here, and learning.  We've discovered "riced" cauliflower already from Green Giant, and it's already helpful. 

I go back to the Doctor on December 30th after labs.  Hopefully the A1C will be lower.  I can already tell some differences in life by eating differently.

Dave_KC

Well, today around lunch time, I took my blood glucose, and had the lowest since I've been diagnosed at 107!  It seems to be some progress there.  

Dave_KC

Well, today around lunch time, I took my blood glucose, and had the lowest since I've been diagnosed at 107!  It seems to be some progress there.  

And then 164 this morning...  grrrr...  

Seagal

Welcome Dave_KC!

Green Giant has riced cauliflower?  How forward thinking of them :D   I know Trader Joe's carries it, will have to keep my eyes open for GG on those days when I am out of cauli (heaven forbid).

Dave_KC

Welcome Dave_KC!

Green Giant has riced cauliflower?  How forward thinking of them :D   I know Trader Joe's carries it, will have to keep my eyes open for GG on those days when I am out of cauli (heaven forbid).

Yep, it's in the frozen veggies section at Wal-Mart.

Blackpearl16

Hello I am new to this site . I was diagnosed with diabetes on 10/17/16. I went to the ER in severe pain fro a sickle cell crises that would not stop hurting. I was told that my blood sugar was over 300 and according to my test I had to have it for a least 2-3 months. I went to my primary care doctor on 11/3/16 which was the first appointment I was able to get and my blood sugar was over 400 and my AC1 was 12.5. He sent me to the ER again. The ER doctor gave me Metformin @ 1 a day for 7 days  then 1 twice a day for the next 30. When I went for a follow up visit on 12/12/16 my ACi was 7.3 and my blood sugar was 214.. My blood pressure was also out of control even though I have been taking meds everyday. Well the doctor added another BP med and yesterday's  readings were, BP-128/80 and BS-145 @9:10am 

at 6:18pm BP-123/88 and BS134. But Today's reading was 124/67 and 210 at 3:40pm. I take 1 500mg metformin 2 times a day . I am going to monitor my readings for a week or so and then talk to doctor about maybe changing dose if they don't stop being a little high at times. He was so pleased about the 7.3 ACI that he did nott even address the 214 BS reading should I be concerned?

adiantum

Hello Blackpearl, welcome to the forum.

Yes, with a blood glucose of 214 you should be concerned.

I'm glad you are going to monitor it & please try to keep it at least below 125 to start with & you  can lower that in  time.

Did the doctor also tell you its not just meds that  control this diabetes but diet & exercise are even more important.

You'll get lots of information & support here & please ask as many questions as you want

meyery2k

Blackpearl - Welcome.  You will get great advice here.  I was diagnosed about 1 year ago.  I started on Metformin.  I adopted the low carb diet and began exercising.  I no longer take Metformin and so far, so good, with my diabetes.  There is a good chance the advice here can work for you too.

The doctor may be happy to see your A1c at 7 and, at this point, you should too since it is better than 12.5.  That is a great first step.

I would encourage you to journey a little further and try to get the A1c down below 6.  You might be able to use diet and exercise to help achieve this.

You have made remarkable progress to this point and I must commend you for taking this seriously.

I hope you will become a member of our community. ~ Mike

Dave_KC

Well, today I got my labs drawn, and just saw the results on my patient portal on the doctor's website.  I then got a call, telling me to keep my appointment...  I felt like saying "duh!"  

Anyway, I had a blood glucose reading of 109 after testing at home at 120.  Then I asked when called about A1c, and found out they're not testing it, since insurance wouldn't pay for it yet...  to which I thought what does it matter, I'm on a high deductible insurance!  

Anyway, I'm still pleased with the dramatically better Blood Glucose number, but very curious what the A1C is going to be.  Guess I have to wait a little longer.  

meyery2k

Well, today I got my labs drawn, and just saw the results on my patient portal on the doctor's website.  I then got a call, telling me to keep my appointment...  I felt like saying "duh!"  

Anyway, I had a blood glucose reading of 109 after testing at home at 120.  Then I asked when called about A1c, and found out they're not testing it, since insurance wouldn't pay for it yet...  to which I thought what does it matter, I'm on a high deductible insurance!  

Anyway, I'm still pleased with the dramatically better Blood Glucose number, but very curious what the A1C is going to be.  Guess I have to wait a little longer.  

Walmart might have a Relion A1c test.  2 kits for about $20.  I have found it is close enough to what the doctor's office shows.

Dave_KC

Walmart might have a Relion A1c test.  2 kits for about $20.  I have found it is close enough to what the doctor's office shows.

That's the meter I've got, but that's a difference between home and the lab, probably about 30 minutes between them.