Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Dave_KC

New to here, new to diabetes (type 2)

meyery2k

Relion makes a meter for day to day testing and they also have a home based A1C test.  There are 2 tet kits in the pack.  You can test your A1c at home.  My experience is that the difference between the home test and the lab test has been less than .5 either way.

I have gotten into the habit of testing my A1c with the home test at the end of every month to cross check my management.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-FastA1C-Test-At-Home-A1C-System/39384290

Edited by meyery2k

Dave_KC

Well today I had the "how to eat now that you're diabetic" session at the Dr's office today.  

Overall she was very pleased with my numbers, and in fact she has new diabetes patients count the carbs tightly, but due to how well I understood what to do, and that my numbers have been good that she didn't feel it was necessary for me to get crazy on the carb numbers and track them tightly.  

She did suggest 50 carbs per meal and 15 for a snack.  I'm planning on shooting for well under that, but it's good to know that I'm good so far on the numbers.  In the next few days I'll have my labs drawn, and this time it'll be with the A1c number.  

And according to whatever BMI standards, I'm still obese, but by .5...  guess I need to shed a few more pounds. 

Overall, it was a good visit.

Dave_KC

Well, I got my A1c pull last Saturday, and finally got the results today (delayed likely between a predicted ice storm and a holiday weekend) and after being tested just before Thanksgiving at 12.6 I was now at 7.4.  Yeah, I want to get it lower, but that's a HUGE drop!  I'm very pleased by that number.  

Dave_KC

So, follow up appointment today at the medical office.  I've been seeing the nurse practitioner, and she was very thrilled with my results, saying it's one of the best responses to diabetes she's ever seen, and to keep it up.  

We talked about meds and the form to get Januvia via the Merk Helps program (http://www.merckhelps.com), as it's very expensive.  I had not received anything from Merck, and finally called them to find she had made a mistake on the form...  :(  Interestingly the person at Merck asked a question about whether they were going to have me on long term, as she only prescribed a 60 day supply, so I asked.  

She said it was too early to know for sure, but if my numbers keep where they're going, it's very possible they may try cutting back on meds!  Also, she emphasized that it wasn't the meds as much as it was me working to take care of myself, commenting that many don't manage their diabetes well.  

So, I don't go back for another three months, and I'll get my A1c tested again in early May.  

Anyway, I'm very, very pleased.  

Oh at BG at the office today as 71!  

Dave_KC

So, continuing on with life these days, and an interesting tidbit about my condition.  

While I've seen the nurse practitioner at the medical clinic, the Doctor that officially handles my case is a friend from church.  I was chatting with him and his wife on Sunday, and while I try not to go all medical on them at church (it's not the office), he was commenting on how happy he is with what I've done on the response to having diabetes.  He wife commented how he gets very frustrated by those who don't change their lives after a diagnosis, such as keeping on smoking with a COPD diagnosis.  

Anyway, another interesting encouragement that I'm doing the right stuff with the diagnosis.  

Dave_KC

So, I've updated my signature line with the latest results...  saw someone else doing it, so why not.  

I'll have my blood work done in a couple of weeks, and I'm very curious about where my A1c will be.  

Great Dan

Hi there Dave!

I'm also new here and we're also in the same situation. It's been a bit difficult to cope up with the changes especially the meals.

adiantum

Hello Dan, Welcome to the forum.

If you tell us what foods you like, we should be able to offer suggestions..even recipes

Kit

Hi there Dave!

I'm also new here and we're also in the same situation. It's been a bit difficult to cope up with the changes especially the meals.

Hi Dan and welcome.

You should make your own post so we don't take over Dave's.  However, it gets easier with the meals.  I found that once I made that mental shift to what a meal contains, it became much easier and I started having a lot of fun coming up with new meal plans.  :)

Edited by Kit

meyery2k

Dan - Welcome.  We would encourage you to tell us a little about yourself.  You will find great advice here. ~ Mike

Carol_42

Welcome to Dave and Dan. You've come to the right place. We have many well-seasoned researchers here who have the skills and experience to help you along your path. Kudos to you both for taking charge of your diabetes concerns.

Sending hugs to you both.

CB

Dave_KC

Dan, welcome (and no worried on posting on my thread).  :)

Hope you are getting along with this, and please, please, please feel free to post thoughts, questions, concerns, and the like.  There's a lot of good people here who know what you're dealing with, and want the best for you.  

As to the meals, it's lunch time, and I'm having a McDonalds Grilled chicken bacon ranch salad (no dressing) a McDouble (and the bun will go in the trash) for my lunch.  Good, low carb, and pretty tasty.   

Dave_KC

Got my labs drawn today...  now just waiting for them to post to the portal at the Dr. office.  This one includes the first A1c that will be entirely after diagnosis...  hoping for a really good number.  

Dave_KC

And the answer is...  

Hemoglobin A1c/Hemoglobin.total in Blood
  5.0 % 4.0-6.0 completed Not applicable 05/02/2017

It's down to 5!  

Dave_KC

And after that report the Dr's office just called.  They want me to drop the Januvia entirely (no more $385 a month pill) and 1/2 the Metformin dosage.  Wow, just WOW!  

meyery2k

Dave - Those are fantastic results!  Thanks for sharing!

This is remarkable progress!  From 12.6 to 5 in roughly 6 months.

Dave_KC

Dave - Those are fantastic results!  Thanks for sharing!

This is remarkable progress!  From 12.6 to 5 in roughly 6 months.

Thanks!   :D

Dave_KC

Off to the Doctor's office this morning after my recent blood work.  It'll be interesting to see how things go...  but I'm suspecting good news since I hit 5.0 on my A1c.

Dave_KC

I'm back from the Doctor's office, and I've never had a more fun, positive visit in my life!  

First, she was thrilled with my numbers, and had up 16 exclamation marks after my A1c number of 5.0.  And she pointed out that's a non-diabetic number.  She said we're going to stay on the 750 mg of Metformin for now, and draw the labs again in three months.  She also said if things keep going the way they are, she may be able to pull the Metformin entirely and see how it goes.  She even mentioned the possibility of reversal, which about blew my socks off (although they were off for the foot exam).  

She also commented that I could feel the tuning fork in my feet when she couldn't in her hand!  She also played around with the foot poker and purposely went on top, and got one of the thickest callouses on my foot...  and I still felt it. 

The saddest part is that she said I'm the extreme exception, and that so many who have diabetes don't deal with the diet at all, and it just gets progressively worse.  That is very sad indeed.  

Anyway, it was a fantastic report, and I'm very pleased

Fraser

Great job Dave

I think you find many extreme exceptions out there, especially on this site.

Welcome to the club.