Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Dave_KC

New to here, new to diabetes (type 2)

Dave_KC

Great job Dave

I think you find many extreme exceptions out there, especially on this site.

Welcome to the club.

Thanks.  While I had a lot of the concepts already, having once done the Atkins low carb diet, this site absolutely helped, and encouraged me to keep going on it, and I just got a huge payoff for doing it right (and ignoring the ADA diet).  

Kit

Thanks.  While I had a lot of the concepts already, having once done the Atkins low carb diet, this site absolutely helped, and encouraged me to keep going on it, and I just got a huge payoff for doing it right (and ignoring the ADA diet).  

I wish there were more of us like this.  The ADA can't ignore it if there was a big trend.  :)

Dave_KC

I wish there were more of us like this.  The ADA can't ignore it if there was a big trend.  :)

And yet, what's amazing is that it's well documented that many people who get the bariatric surgery very quickly go off diabetic meds.  Clearly diet has a whole lot to do with this disease, especially among those with type 2.  

I suspect that the ADA numbers are what's needed to bring it under control with the use of meds, and hopefully get those who don't want to significantly change their diet to delay the onset of complications.  

That said, I think I'm doing better but undercutting their recommendations, but I also know enough to know there's never a guarantee of tomorrow, and thinks can go wonky despite my best efforts.  But without questions, thus far for me, radically changing my diet has worked wonders.  

Edited by Dave_KC

Carol_42

Dave ... I am so happy for you.  You are a positive role model for others who face the challenges of this disease.  Hugs and happiness to you and your family.

Dave_KC

Dave ... I am so happy for you.  You are a positive role model for others who face the challenges of this disease.  Hugs and happiness to you and your family.

Thanks!  Apparently I'm not so positive a role model for my co-worker who is diabetic, for far longer than me.  I commented on his large piece of chocolate cake, And claimed I was violating all kinds of boundaries.  So, when I saw him get a piece of French Silk pie, and today, pasta, I didn't say anything.  I wanted to, but he obviously doesn't want to hear, so I've stopped saying anything.  It's sad, but when he's refusing to hear, and demanding that I not say anything, I think I've done what I can. 

Fraser

Just keep talking about how well you are doing and what you are doing to control T2 hopefully people will listen

Kit

Thanks! Apparently I'm not so positive a role model for my co-worker who is diabetic, for far longer than me. I commented on his large piece of chocolate cake, And claimed I was violating all kinds of boundaries. So, when I saw him get a piece of French Silk pie, and today, pasta, I didn't say anything. I wanted to, but he obviously doesn't want to hear, so I've stopped saying anything. It's sad, but when he's refusing to hear, and demanding that I not say anything, I think I've done what I can.

You can offer advice, but if they refuse it, that's all you can do. Just lead with your own actions, don't be apologetic for your good choices.

Dave_KC

I won't apologize for doing well, and I have a lot of cheerleaders at work (especially the folks that oversee our health insurance and wellness programs).  :)

Carol_42

Thanks!  Apparently I'm not so positive a role model for my co-worker who is diabetic, for far longer than me.  I commented on his large piece of chocolate cake, And claimed I was violating all kinds of boundaries.  So, when I saw him get a piece of French Silk pie, and today, pasta, I didn't say anything.  I wanted to, but he obviously doesn't want to hear, so I've stopped saying anything.  It's sad, but when he's refusing to hear, and demanding that I not say anything, I think I've done what I can. 

In all fairness to you, I think I would stay away from that co-worker.  And I'm saying this "in-love": agape love and compassion for you and your family.  What you just described, makes me want to design a T-shirt that boldly states: I WANT TO LIVE!

(((Kudos to your continued great efforts)))

meyery2k

Dave - As a person that has been in the same mind-set as your co-worker, he is probably not going to listen to you until he decides it is time for a change.  For me, being diagnosed with diabetes convinced me that it was time to pull the brake and make some changes.

My family urged me to see a doctor for a long time before that and I now realize how foolish I had been.  Fortunately, the consequences have been minimal and I would now eagerly listen to you if I was at the point I was 18 months ago.

Setting the example, and more importantly, maintaining it will likely prove to be far more convincing than talking about it.  My daughter's boyfriend even commented upon how surprised he was that I still keep up with my new lifestyle since, in many cases people start to adopt a new style and then stop when they see improvement. Then the weight comes back and maybe even some extra and "everyone" is justified that that particular change is a fad or doesn't work.

You have discovered, like I have, that we have to do this for this rest of our lives to see continued good results.

Dave_KC

I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor.  He's younger than me, and quite a bit bigger.  He was recently diagnosed, with an A1c in the 9 range, but has terrible issues with Metformin, especially the ER (which I've had the almost complete opposite issues).  

He's going in for the bariatric surgery today or tomorrow, with the express purpose of getting off his meds.  I don't know that it'll work, but it's known that many reduce or eliminate their needs for meds once they've had the surgery.  I'm hoping it works for him, as he's a great guy, and they've got a little boy about 4, and he needs his daddy.  

Dave_KC

Was at work today, and chatting with a couple of co-workers, and another walked in on the conversation.  Apparently all four of us have t2.  It was interesting and helpful to discuss these things and challenge each other.  It started by one co-worker asking me how much weight I'd lost (around 50 lbs), and that it's basically my High School weight!  

Anyway, I was just on another thread and encouraging to talk about these issues, so it's time to update.  

In general I think numbers have been good, and sometime this week I need to go in and get my blood work done.  They're doing A1c, but also a full work-up for cholesterol and kidney function too, so it'll be interesting to see where I'm at.  The last of those in late January were fantastic, after diagnosis in later November.  I'm thinking I should have great numbers, but we'll just have to see.  

Anyway, I'll report once I know the numbers. 

Dave_KC

And I just got the numbers...  my A1c is at 4.7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :)

Dave_KC

I'm a little surprised I haven't heard from the clinic, but I go in Wednesday morning anyway, so that's probably when I'll hear.  I know the doctor was on vacation last week, and that may play into this as well.  He's a friend so I know where he was because of Facebook!  

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what they'll do, and tomorrow is the last Metformin on my current prescription.  Anyway, very curious about the next appointment.