Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Dave_KC

New to here, new to diabetes (type 2)

Dave_KC

Well, I had to reschedule my appointment, and was able to get in this morning.  

The Nurse Practitioner I see won't refill my Metformin...  I no longer take a diabetes med!  They'll watch it and see me in three months.  If things keep good they may be able to stretch my appointments out to 6 months, rather than 3.  My feet were fine, and circulation fine, and I can still feel the tuning fork as long as she can in her hand.  

I will stay on the Lisinopril for kidney protection, but other than that, we're just watching it and seeing how things go.  

:)

Oh, and I'm the fastest she's ever seen turn around and get off diabetes meds...   ever!    

Dave_KC

I just had an interesting conversation with a co-worker with diabetes.  

She said I had inspired her to try LCHF, and said that she's down almost 30 lbs, no longer needs insulin and cut her metformin dosage in half, and she's hoping to be able to go completely off meds.  And her A1c went from in the 7 range, to 5.5.  

Cool to know I encouraged a co-worker to better health!  

Dave_KC

Today I had my first 50+ colonoscopy...  yippiiee!  

Well, after the prep my number this morning was 90, and before the procedure, it was 83.  And I now have lovely pictures in my colon, and all is well, and they don't need to see me again for 10 years unless something else comes up.  

Glad to have that one out of the way.  Afterwards I was groggy and wanted to eat anything in site...  but behaved myself pretty well. 

Dave_KC

I got my blood work report back today, and my A1c, first three months without any diabetic meds was....    5.0.  

This is right at one year since diagnosis, and it's hard to imagine that a year ago, right before Thanksgiving, I got the call that my numbers were consistent with diabetes.  I have an appointment the Tuesday before Thanksgiving for my annual physical.  

Anyway, with meds I dropped my A1c to 4.7, and without it's just up to 5.0.  Gotta keep this going!  

Dave_KC

So, after a delay due to the practitioner calling in, I had my annual physical today.  

Interestingly, it's not my regular nurse practitioner was out on maternity leave.  She was very pleased with my numbers, and seemed a little shocked at my A1c, and very pleased.  

All of the numbers were good, and at this point, I don't go back for 6 months now.  I'll go in for a test regarding my legs and circulation, primarily to have a baseline for future reference.  Again, no problems with my feet at all.  

So, encouraging, and we'll see where this goes from here, but it's a good appointment. 

Fraser

I think the leg circulation was called a PAD test I had it several years ago no issues, has not stopped me from "running". 

They just checked blood flow, 

Edited by Fraser

Dave_KC

That sounds about right @Fraser.  There's no expectation that I have issues, other than she simply thinks it might be wise, as basically a baseline. 

Dave_KC

I had the blood work done for my six month checkup, and just checked the patient portal due to the inability to sleep...  my A1c after six months of seeing the daily numbers go up, really going strongly LCHF on the diet (mostly low carb before) is at....  5.0

Same as it was six months ago, and I'm thrilled.  All the other tests came back good as well.  

Dave_KC

It's been awhile since I posted here, and I haven't been as active as I'd like to be, but I want to share an update of where things are at.  

Each time I get a major checkup and results, I tend to read through this post about my progress.  And I'm glad I do, because it helps perspective.  

So today I went for my annual physical.  Two years ago I went in and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, A1c of 12.6.  I was shocked and scared by that, but I knew a few things and went with what I knew which was the Atkins diet, along with the prescribed meds.  My numbers started dropping rapidly, going in three months to 7.4 and at six months to 5.0 (and dropping a lot of meds).  By 9 months it was 4.7, and all meds were removed.  Now at a year it was 5.0.  And six months later it was 5.0.  And during this year I moved from an Atkins style diet to a keto Low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet.  

So today I went in for the physical.  They actually didn't take the A1c, but being I track my blood glucose numbers every day, she wasn't worried.  And the lab work showed my blood glucose at 90.   As a result, she described by condition as beyond well controlled diabetes, and they are actually marking it as resolved on my medical chart.  

Now she knows that I know I can't go back to eating what I want, but it's incredibly encouraging.  Also, we're testing me being off the blood pressure meds (which I was put on for kidney protection), since I'm living with non-diabetic numbers.  

It's almost mind boggling what's happened.  

And let me just add, thanks to all of you here who have been a part of this and encouraged me along the way.  I'm very, very grateful for your help.  Two that have been big influences are @Kit and @meyery2k, but all of the rest too.  It has been a huge help to hear of others and their success along the way.  I still will be poking my head around here, and hopefully can be more active as life allows.  

But thanks again all.  I'm very grateful.  

Dave

MalteseMom

Dave, I’m so thrilled for your success! I had it also but I’ve lost it and now I must start over. I’m sure my A1 C is not dangerously high but I’m sure it is a little bit higher than  I want it to be.  I was so excited to have the success in my diet that I had only to let my divorce completely rocked my world. I still have not   Found that starting place again and I desperately need to. In three months I lost almost 40 pounds mostly off my belly I am was looking forward to getting back to actually living what I thought was the dreams that my husband and I Planned. You can imagine my shock when I discovered he was living that dream with my best friend of 9 years. Anyway, it’s good for me to have returned to all of you whom I credit with my success. 

And I do wish that my doctor had the mindset that yours did and took me off the Metformin  and then started working on blood pressure medications And cleared my health record. So this is my goal for 2019 thanks for listening

Dave_KC

Thanks @MalteseMom.  I'm sorry about the struggles with the divorce.  That's never easy to deal with.  

BTW, here's my half Maltese dog...  Yorkie/Maltese mix. 

IMG_20181206_222249.jpg

MalteseMom
19 hours ago, Dave_KC said:

Thanks @MalteseMom.  I'm sorry about the struggles with the divorce.  That's never easy to deal with.  

BTW, here's my half Maltese dog...  Yorkie/Maltese mix. 

IMG_20181206_222249.jpg

How adorable! I am a sucker for a pretty face.