Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ed71

Anyone here tried the "Jason Fung" Diet?

Ed71

Just found this one out lately. Since I think Im on my last leg of having type 2 diabetes and my insulin has become almost super resistant (had it for nearly 20 years) I figured why not give it a try. The logic sounds about right, a low carb high fat diet following Atkins 1st phase keeping to about 20 carb grams a day, but the only difference is that it adds some scheduled fasting controled by tiny amounts of pure fat eaten on or in the middle of the fast to contain hunger.

So far after a week, Ive lost maybe 1 pound. (well actually lost 5 pounds, but most of that would probably be water) Ive seem to have no problem fasting for a whole day with the amounts of fatty stuff consumed in small amounts. Then on the regular days, I just eat twice a day as long as part of that day I dont eat for 12 hours (another smaller fast) and this is done while sleeping. Then on the every 3rd day, just do the 24 hour fast again.

So far its working for me better than the Atkins alone. And since its easier and cheaper rather going the normal way which is to somehow buy or get more insulin, its the ONLY way for me these days due to my low income.

Has anyone here tried it?

meyery2k

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/78598-trying-dr-fungs-fasting-protocol/?hl=fung

Like many ideas here, it would seem to be a YMMV topic.

There are so many reasons people can be diabetic that there is apparently no one solution fits all.

You have the right idea and the tools to observe how it works for you.

NoraWI

There was a T1 here a few years ago who started to fast periodically and her need for insulin declined dramatically until she used almost none. That gave me the willies as depriving a T1 of insulin can cause ketoacidosis. You can probably find the thread in the archives. That reminds me of the fact that before insulin was discovered, the only way to keep T1s alive was to starve them. :(

mystiquarte

how uncanny, I just found a few videos of Jason Fung I was watching while eating breakfast...fascinating  

I am not allowed to do this though, but i see how it can be benificial and I really like his style of treating the problem not the symptom - - I like him

meyery2k

While not as dramatic as Butter Bob, I used to get grief about my diet.  Now that I have lost 90+ pounds eating "bacon and eggs" for breakfast AND can prove my cholesterol is excellent (after being told it wouldn't be), I get asked for advice and taken seriously.  I have gone from a 44 to a 38 and 36 is now looking like a real possibility.  Go figure...

Orlando

I eat just 2 meals a day with a 14-16 hour fasting zone. A bit difficult to get used to in the beginning, but now its simple most of the time. If I need something, I have a drink , aqueous of course. I now find this WOE suits me well and is good for keeping my BG values in check. I think its well worth a try for anybody trying to improve their BG and/or weight issues. Never bothered to follow any guru doc, it aint that complicated IMHO.  

Ed71

I agree, its not hard to understand. After the low carb craze finally got excepted and got the medical community thinking twice about its now skeptical nutrition pyramid, I can guess, most people can see the logic behind it.

But then I find out about "Jason Fung" and then I like slap my hand to my head and say, Why didnt I think about that? Its relatively simple. Despite knowing that almost every human thru out time didnt eat 3 times a day and sometimes didnt eat occasionally. It makes more sense now.

Humans were not meant to eat so much food.

LaRue

I'm new here too Ed71, and I'm pre-diabetic.

When I looked up Dr. Fung, it appears he's simply taking about a ketosis diet, sometimes just called keto.

About 2 months ago I started eating much few carbs, and also went through that feeling bad stage while your body adjusted.

It just wasn't getting it for me, and I'm on day 10 of high fat, very low carb eating. It took me 2 days or so to go into ketosis (I bought a box of those ketostix off of amazon) and quickly after that I started feeling much better overall. One day I made some bad choices, and went out of ketosis, and boy could I feel it.

Re the fasting, I'm not ready for that yet. My understanding is that it can be as simple as getting all your eating done within an 8 hour period, then just waiting 12 to 16 hours before eating again.

Yes, I agree, it's a very natural way to eat. Way back then we didn't eat because a clock or hunger told us to, we ate when we caught something.

I'm personally glad I first started with cutting out the obvious carbs, cereal, bread, juice and the like. 

I think if I immediately went into eating only 25-27 net carbs in a day, I would have felt so bad and confused about what to do, I would have given up. It is very confusing to be able to eat as much fat as you like, and a couple of times it's been a challenge to bring myself to eat, even though I was hungry. But, like I said, it's only been 10 days.

Keep in mind Ed71 that I'm talking net carbs, which is grams of carbs minus grams of fiber.

Basically it's eating above ground vegetables, particular nuts, fish, meat and lots of fat.

A little while ago, I finished dinner, and was really satiated. When I look at what I recorded I ate, I guesstimate it was about 1500 calories. I'm not counting calories at all, but I just found it interesting that if I had eaten 1500 calories while eating carbs, right now I'd be in my car on the way to Burger King before it closed.

2 months ago, when I started the low carb by itself, (counting total carbs, not net, doing about 150 a day) I told myself that once a month I would treat myself. Once a month is how often I have to this particular place to drop off billing I work on, and there's a fried chicken place on the way there. I said "I'll just get that, that'll be a treat."

The first time I drove by, I had eaten within the last few hours, and wasn't interested in food, so let it pass. Yesterday I went by the same place, and the thought of fried chicken totally grossed me out. That's nasty fat. Plus, with all the grass fed butter, virgin olive oil, nuts, and other good fats I'm eating fat is the last thing I would crave.

If you look up keto diet, just like anything else, there both good and bad info out there.

I'm going to go watch the rest of your video now.

LaRue

meyery2k, I'm really looking forward to having bloodwork done in a few months.

I just enrolled for next years insurance, and had to pick another doctor, since my plan was no longer offered.

So I guess I can go in and get it all done the first visit.

Question for you meyery2k, do you feel you are in anyway restricting what you eat, or are you just eating when and in the amounts your body tells you to?

meyery2k

LaRue - This is a challenging question.  I am not sure how to answer.  I DO still count calories of the major foods I eat and I try to stick around 1500-1800 calories.  I don't watch the fat or protein as much as I should but I try to keep the carbs under 30.  Some days when I eat a lot of vegetables then it pushes 40g of carbs.  I still measure things like cheese and meat becasue I still fail at portion control by eyeball.

I know a eat a few hundred more calories than I log since I don't measure butter for taste or fat that I use to cook.  I would drive myself crazy trying to do that.

So I don't really restrict WHAT I eat per se (except for the obvious carbs) but more of how much since that has always been my downfall.  I enjoy all food, I just enjoy it too much when I don't employ discipline.

Early on, I would eat 8 oz steaks thinking no carbs.  My meter showed me that was not a good idea though.  Then I learned about how protein works as far as glucose control.

I eat 3 meals a day.  Roughly equal in calories and macro nutrients.  Most days I have one meal that is meatless.

Ed71

LaRue,  Yeah I know its a ketogenic diet. It didnt surprise me when I saw it on some of his videos. But the different key for me was that he added "fasting."  In his book, he goes into more into the specifics of fasting rather than the ketogenic part of his plan.

Since Ive already done the ketogenic diet on and off for many years, I would have some benefits, but never enough to say I lost tons of weight. Just a better energy path, and much less insulin use. However, like everyone else, we do screw up here and then and have that one doughnut, that one beer, that one sweet sugary item that screws the whole thing up and then you have to do it again for bout 3 days or until your body has to switch over to ketogenic again. Or one just gets sick of meat and fat all the time.

But since the hardest part is the fasting, He mentions that the intake of pure fat while on the fasting helps with not eating anything (If your in pure ketosis and burning nothing but fat) But eating small amounts of fat while fasting is not considered "real" fasting. But hey, it works than eating nothing at all. And, since its a ketogenic diet, one should technically feel satisfied and less hungry when eating fats and meat. I know I did.

But then again, its hard still. Not really expecting to lose massive weight unless I add some 10 mile walks every day. Its mostly cause insulin is costing me much more and at the moment insulin is killing my wallet without any insurance. Low carb and fasting is alot cheaper. (If I can keep it up)

LaRue

Ed71, what's the amount of time you are calling fasting?

It could just be 16 hours. Or 24 or more. Intermittment fasting.

I'm planning on trying that in the new year, 

Yeah, I'm not crazy about all the meat either, but you can supplement it with lots of veggies.

I just ate dinner (my 2nd meal of the day), made an egg salad with just 2 hard boiled eggs & mayo, and an average size spinach salad with bacon, the bacon fat, a little of my favorite dressing, A champagne vinegarette, and tomato. Quite tasty, simple, and not much meat. The bacon was just for flavor.  I was thinking of adding nuts, but I'll save that for later, to add to whatever my 3rd meal will be.

Ed71

He mentions 12, 16, 24, or if one can do it, even longer. He does mention that before 1976 most americans ate from 7am to 7pm. The rest was downtime and sleeping. This was in itself was considered a pure fast cause nothing was eaten. I cant recall off hand what the why is after 1976 this supposedly changed. Maybe television, stores stayed open longer, or fast food rose sharply.

The reason I believe it may work is that many times working in the shipyards I worked 12 hour shifts on the 2cnd night shift for 12 hours and usually before starting work I ate something small. Usually protein or fat based. And I did this many times. And always, I lost alot of weight. I didnt really do it for weight loss but because eating carby snacks always raised my sugar and I would get sluggish and sleepy after lunch. So I just skipped it. Sometimes though, I would simply eat a snack bar machine bag of small peanuts.

But being that now in my area (Hampton roads, Virginia) The shipyards have taken a sluggish turn for work due to cutbacks, I have just sat around the house for 15 months. Its just so hard to make myself get up and walk. physical work seemed to make me walk faster not to mention a foreman constantly getting on people which put some anxiety into work.

Kit

Ed71, what's the amount of time you are calling fasting?

It could just be 16 hours. Or 24 or more. Intermittment fasting.

I'm planning on trying that in the new year, 

Yeah, I'm not crazy about all the meat either, but you can supplement it with lots of veggies.

I just ate dinner (my 2nd meal of the day), made an egg salad with just 2 hard boiled eggs & mayo, and an average size spinach salad with bacon, the bacon fat, a little of my favorite dressing, A champagne vinegarette, and tomato. Quite tasty, simple, and not much meat. The bacon was just for flavor.  I was thinking of adding nuts, but I'll save that for later, to add to whatever my 3rd meal will be.

Have you ever tried a hot vinaigrette?

Cook your bacon in the pan as usual.  Once you take it out, add a little chopped shallot (or onion) and saute until translucent.  When that's about done, add a wee little dab of mustard and a splash of vinegar.  Stir or swirl around in the pan until mixed and then poor over your salad.  The spinach will wilt a little.  Crumble bacon on top, and yummy!

LaRue

That sounds good kit. 

Wilted spinach salad is great. Yes to the mustard and some ACV in it.

Two things I really like about this way of eating is, one, there's little waste. Things we've been told are "bad" can just be incorporated into the meal.

Two, and fun to me, is that this is what I think of as "messy eating"

There's no "oh it's breakfast time, and this is the approved list of things you eat in the morning." Or that fact I'm cooking and combining certain foods that many people would say "Those 2 foods don't go together."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.