Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeapa

Amount of Protein per Meal?

Jeapa

I am new to LCHF eating. Is there a formula of how much protein, fat, and carbs to eat at each meal?

Tonight I am grilling steaks and will be having squash and zucchini cooked in butter with onions. The steaks are about 8oz. Is that too much protein? I wish there was a way to know before I eat it.

My guess is everyone is different and I will just have to test. Thanks. 

mystiquarte

from what I've being told Jeapa the size of protein shouldn't be bigger than your fist or weigh about 115 grams 
{i am a vegan though}

Kit

Everyone's protein needs are different based on body take/makup, activity levels and the kinds of activity involved, whether you are trying to maintain or increase muscle mass, etc.

I personally aim for around 70g per day, which can vary based upon a number of factors.  Amount of protein per meal can also vary upon how I feel, how hungry I am, etc.

I'd normally aim for about 6oz of a steak if its a fatty cut.

I've got a great recipe making a steak sauce from the pan droppings, some HWC, and a splash or whiskey or similar.  Now I wish I had some steak.  :)

Jeapa

ok thank you. I think 8oz was probably a bit much based on grams of protein, I am going to test at 2 hours post and see where I am at.

I am very happy to report that my pre-meal BG was 118!!!! I haven't been that low for a long time.

I need to start a log book and keep track of these things so I will have a reference.

Jeapa

Everyone's protein needs are different based on body take/makup, activity levels and the kinds of activity involved, whether you are trying to maintain or increase muscle mass, etc.

I personally aim for around 70g per day, which can vary based upon a number of factors.  Amount of protein per meal can also vary upon how I feel, how hungry I am, etc.

I'd normally aim for about 6oz of a steak if its a fatty cut.

I've got a great recipe making a steak sauce from the pan droppings, some HWC, and a splash or whiskey or similar.  Now I wish I had some steak.  :)

What is HWC? I would love to have your recipe. I used a little A1 and just counted the carbs toward the total for the meal. 

Jeapa

from what I've being told Jeapa the size of protein shouldn't be bigger than your fist or weigh about 115 grams 

{i am a vegan though}

My steak was definitely bigger than my fist lol. I will post what it did to my bg at the 2hr mark.

Kit

What is HWC? I would love to have your recipe. I used a little A1 and just counted the carbs toward the total for the meal.

Warning, I don't measure. Depending on how much drippings you have in your pan, add in whiskey, bourbon, or brandy 1Tbsp or so while on high heat. Once alcohol evaporates, add in some heavy whipping cream (hwc) and simmer on medium low heat until the cream thickens. Add seasonings to taste. Usually a little salt and pepper.

mystiquarte

My steak was definitely bigger than my fist lol. I will post what it did to my bg at the 2hr mark.

I'd be really careful - if it's bigger than your fist maybe cut it half and make sure the meat you choose is the leanest meat with no visible fat 

Fraser

Or if you follow LCHF you don't need to keep it lean)

There is not just one way to control your BG.

The old phrase is eat to your meter. Then adjust.

And A1c of 6.0 can work also.

Jeapa

My 2hr post meal BG was 134. I think this is good? I was at 118 before the meal so up 16 after eating an 8oz ribeye and a healthy portion of squash with butter and onions. I will test again at 3 hours to see if there will be a delayed spike.

I just hit another goal, under 140 2 hrs post meal!! I am  excited about this LCHF lifestyle change and how it is helping my numbers come down so quickly.

Kit

Congrats, that is good to hear.

Celebrate all of the little milestones. They help show just how much progress you are achieving. :)

Jeapa

Warning, I don't measure. Depending on how much drippings you have in your pan, add in whiskey, bourbon, or brandy 1Tbsp or so while on high heat. Once alcohol evaporates, add in some heavy whipping cream (hwc) and simmer on medium low heat until the cream thickens. Add seasonings to taste. Usually a little salt and pepper.

Thank you Kit. I am going to try this the next time I cook a steak in a pan. I grilled these tonight so I wouldn't have been able to use the drippings.

I'd be really careful - if it's bigger than your fist maybe cut it half and make sure the meat you choose is the leanest meat with no visible fat 

I am following the LCHF diet so I was more concerned about the protein then the fat. It is my understanding that fat is not converted to glucose, but protein can be. I am going to embrace this diet for the next 12 months and then see where I am at. Thus far everything I am reading seems to indicate that following this way of eating will give me the best shot at controlling my BG levels with the minimum amounts of medication, while still maintaining nornal or good cholesterol numbers.

I will keep reporting my numbers here so hopefully we can all learn. I am encouraged to continue by the numbers on my meter.

Jeapa

My 2hr post meal BG was 134. I think this is good? I was at 118 before the meal so up 16 after eating an 8oz ribeye and a healthy portion of squash with butter and onions. I will test again at 3 hours to see if there will be a delayed spike.

I just hit another goal, under 140 2 hrs post meal!! I am  excited about this LCHF lifestyle change and how it is helping my numbers come down so quickly.

Ok my 3 hr was 160 so I had a delayed spike. I was afraid this might happen. It seems I should have waited to celebrate :(

thats ok. I have learned something tonight... an 8 oz ribeye is too much protein at one meal. I think I will test again at 4 hr post to see if this is as high as I will spike.

miketurco

Good question! The more I try to learn about this the less I understand.

Counting grams of protein, for starters, can be difficult and you have to look everything up. For example, filet mignon is less than one third protein by weight.  A six oz (168g) filet has only 44g of protein. That's all whole protein, by the way. "Whole protein" means protein that has all the different kinds of amino acids.

Protein is made out of various combinations of twenty-two different amino acids and the body human needs a certain amount of each one on a regular (daily?) basis. Ten of those amino acids the body can make on its own. Ten of those the body can't make on its own so you have to get them in your diet. That leaves two aminos, and you have to eat one or the other. (The body is able convert one to another as needed.)

So your question is two questions, really. How much protein do I need to eat, and how much of that has to be whole protein?

Now, you'd think in today's "age of science" (cough) there'd be a solid answer to that question, but there is not. As you dig into this stuff, looking for a clear answer, what you end up with is a bunch of gobbledy gook. First off, there's this whole business of what the body can/can't produce, what it can convert from one form to another, etc. And once you get past that, you find out that there is NO practical answer to your question(s) at all!

There are, however, established requirements for specific amino acids found in protein. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK234922/

Long story short, this is what I do: I shoot for 100g of protein a day as an optimum thing, and I don't fret over not hitting the target every day. I do know that anything over 120 grams (ish) jacks up my BG, and anything under 50 for too many days in a row makes me wonder if I'm getting enough. Also, I shoot for 10 to 15g of carbs per day. The rest of my calories come from fat. 

Orlando

Seems that I can only handle around 80 grams protein per day ,maximum ie sum total of proteins from meat,fish,chicken,cheese and vegetables. So when I eat meat ex beef, I take just a 90 gram portion. All this was reached by extensive testing with my meter.

A ball park estimation is around 1gram of protein/Kg body weight ie 0.8....1.2 gm/Kg body weight.[ maybe less]

When testing for the influence of protein intake on BG its best to test for up to 6-7 hours after injestion, gluconeogenesis is a slow process. ie if you eat a nice big steak in the evening you can easily get the bad news in the form of your FBG the next morning.

Mike is right, there are plenty of theories, but in the end, we are all different and need to find our own levels of tolerance/intolerance.

The other big factor, as with any diet or WOE, is "portion control"...............no need to elaborate on that.

Looking forward to seeing your numbers and I wish you all the best in your blood glucose lowering campaign. 

meyery2k

Jeapa - It is great to see you taking this seriously!  I would encourage you to join us in posting your daily fasting BG in the forum set up for this.  I find it keeps me accountable to myself and the friends I have made here.  We also learn about other things that get randomly shared. ~ Mike

Jeapa

Thank you Orlando for adding your comments. I definitely got carried away with my portion of steak last night. I had to go to bed so I couldn't keep testing to see if I spiked higher then my 3 hr reading. My fbg was 148 this morning which was 8 points higher then yesterday, so your advice was spot on. This is a learning process for sure.

meyery2k

Thank you Orlando for adding your comments. I definitely got carried away with my portion of steak last night. I had to go to bed so I couldn't keep testing to see if I spiked higher then my 3 hr reading. My fbg was 148 this morning which was 8 points higher then yesterday, so your advice was spot on. This is a learning process for sure.

One of the first mantras we learn here is test, eat, test, learn....

This is usually the response to questions relating to what can be eaten and quantity.  Everyone is different and even daily circumstances can change what you think are "the rules".

I recently discovered that if I cycle enough and burn off 1000-1200 calories (about 90 minutes of exercise) the eating rules seem to be quite a bit more relaxed than I am used to for the day.  On Thanksgiving I actually ate a real Thanksgiving dinner with stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, and bread in smaller quantities.  When I got home and tested 1 hour later, yes, I was spiking at 170 which is not a good thing at all.  I cycled about 16 miles and was down in the 80's.  Stayed stable the rest of the day and even woke up the next morning in the low 80's.  I wouldn't do that every day since I know I am insulin resistant but I now have a way to indulge once in a great while and get back on track.

Serenityearly
On 12/4/2016 at 7:01 PM, Jeapa said:

ok thank you. I think 8oz was probably a bit much based on grams of protein, I am going to test at 2 hours post and see where I am at.

I am very happy to report that my pre-meal BG was 118!!!! I haven't been that low for a long time.

I need to start a log book and keep track of these things so I will have a reference.

I use a free app called One Drop. I enter my foods, activity & BG readings daily. You can enter your health goals (where you want your BG levels, how much daily exercise, etc). Most foods are already in app from popular restaurants & you can edit amount for  what you eat. You can also scan bar codes and take pics of meals for later entry. You can look at and/or print out or email info to your doctor as well. It helps me keep up with carbs, calories, proteins, sugar, etc.  I love it! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.