Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mystiquarte

Understanding Diabetes & How To Avoid It

mystiquarte

After being discharged from hospital I found these videos really helpful, they are animated so you can really see what is happening inside your body.  You don't have a broken limb or blood gushing out to indicate something is wrong with you when you have diabetes and you can misinterpret the signs and signals being sent from your body...I find once you understand what the endocrine system is and how it works you can better understand diabetes, inability to metabolise sugar and if your pre-diabetic how not to cross-over...

type ii diabetes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXAe3eOjqCk

type i diabetes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxbbBmbvu7I

Gladtobehere

How to avoid understanding diabetes?

I think you should take a few steps back and reevaluate this post.

mystiquarte

How to avoid understanding diabetes?

I think you should take a few steps back and reevaluate this post.

how can you avoid something that you don't understand?

Gladtobehere

You can minimize your chances of getting symptoms but there is no way to avoid diabetes if you are pre disposed.  Understanding helps but most don't listen until they are afflicted. And many don't listen even after they are diagnosed.

mystiquarte

You can minimize your chances of getting symptoms but there is no way to avoid diabetes if you are pre disposed.  Understanding helps but most don't listen until they are afflicted. And many don't listen even after they are diagnosed.

I'm sorry but your incorrect...there is no way to avoid type i diabetes but even with a genetic predisposition you can reverse or avoid diabetes altogether through avoiding sugar and having a healthy diet with regular exercise 

mystiquarte

Ummm... are you trying to teach US about diabetes?

there has being alot of questions from people wondering if they have diabetes and I thought as this IS the prediabetes section that an animation I wached myself could help and yes even if you've been diagnosed for along time isn't cool to see what all the cells do in the endocrine system do!!

Gladtobehere

I'm sorry but your incorrect...there is no way to avoid type i diabetes but even with a genetic predisposition you can reverse or avoid diabetes altogether through avoiding sugar and having a healthy diet with regular exercise 

Sorry, I don' believe that.

Bye.

mystiquarte
control

there has being alot of questions from people wondering if they have diabetes and I thought as this IS the prediabetes section that an animation I wached myself could help and yes even if you've been diagnosed for along time isn't cool to see what all the cells do in the endocrine system do!!

At 7:24 in the Type 2 video, it recommends that you (direct quote), "Eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains..."

While some of the information in the video had educational value, the diet they recommend is not a pathway to good diabetes management.  The medical community as a whole is slow and downright obstinate when it comes to getting on board with diets that have demonstrably better results than the high carb diet they keep peddling to the unsuspecting masses. 

adiantum

mysti.... all you  seem to know about diabetes is what you  learn from these cartoons, so lets simplify it & realise you know bugger all.

You have found a community of experts here & if that wasn't enough for you, Ive recommended books  such as 101 & think like a pancreas.

mystiquarte

it's a guide...a tool for understanding the endocrine system a look at what the cells do before and after diagnosis
thats how I - viewed - it if the diet doesn't agree with you then it doesn't agree with you that wasnt the point of the exercise

control

If you have diabetes type ii then you may be able to reverse it and even if your one of the group that can't...does it hurt trying?

What others call "trying to reverse diabetes" we call "managing diabetes".  It's a more accurate description. 

mystiquarte

mysti.... all you  seem to know about diabetes is what you  learn from these cartoons, so lets simplify it & realise you know bugger all.

You have found a community of experts here & if that wasn't enough for you, Ive recommended books  such as 101 & think like a pancreas.

omg...everyone...look at the section your reading this in and then take this as an educational biological look into the endocrine system

thinking that your an - expert - is what can lead to over-inflated sense of self that can lead to harmful damage because of an inability to take on new information or helpful hints because you know it all

adiantum

You are not passing on new information, you are clinging to the out of date guidance from the ADA.

You are the most likely one that  could cause danger to others.

mystiquarte

the cells in your body don't magically change their function because the ADA has changed it's policy regarding right or wrong food

Fraser

Mystic

I joined this forum because I was looking to learn from others. I have been successful controlling my diabetes, and hopefully I have helped others towards their goal. But I have learned so much more from our members and their stories .

So stay aroundand listen to all those stories. And post when you can say. say I did and it worked or didn't.

Make it your story.

control

the cells in your body don't magically change their function because the ADA has changed it's policy regarding right or wrong food

That's true.  However, the information that a high carb diet leads to complications has been around for decades.  There have been lots of people who lead complication-free lives, in no small part by changing their diet to one with fewer carbs.  The fact that the ADA and HealthGrades and several other organizations fail to recognize this or even educate newly diagnosed diabetics is, to put it bluntly, unconscionable.

Just last night I watched Lorenzo's Oil for the first time.    I was struck by the similarity of the family making great strides in the treatment of ALD, but facing barrier after barrier because they didn't have the proper scientific credentials.  Most doctors do not have diabetes, so, while they may have book knowledge, they don't have the experience of living with it day to day.  When it comes to what works and what doesn't, instead of going to the people who have demonstrated great management, they go back to the dusty old books, which is often very outdated. 

Theory and reality are often two very different things. 

mystiquarte

After being discharged from hospital I found these videos really helpful, they are animated so you can really see what is happening inside your body.  

Mystic

I joined this forum because I was looking to learn from others. I have been successful controlling my diabetes, and hopefully I have helped others towards their goal. But I have learned so much more from our members and their stories .

So stay aroundand listen to all those stories. And post when you can say. say I did and it worked or didn't.

Make it your story.

are you saying I'm not being helpful or not making it my story?  

adiantum

Your definitely not being helpful when promoting your ideals  which has been proven not to work .  

Perhaps you could  post a photo of a salt cellar in your signature ,advising others to take your advice with a grain of salt when they read  your BG readings.

Even your A1c is in danger zone, yet you feel encouraged to lecture experts such as members here.

mystiquarte

it's a guide...a tool for understanding the endocrine system a look at what the cells do before and after diagnosis

thats how I - viewed - it if the diet doesn't agree with you then it doesn't agree with you that wasnt the point of the exercise

its more of a educational tool than a diet education....since I didn't write the video don't blame me, I choose this vid for it's animation on the endocrine system

read much!?!

funkynassau

Avoid diabetes?  Well both my parents had it as well as some aunts and uncles so the odds of me avoiding it were just about nil.

miketurco

You're coming across in kind of a pompous way. I'm sure that's not what you meant to do. It's one thing to say, "here's a really cool video I found," and quite another to say, "hey, this is what you guys need to learn plus here is how to cure type2."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.