Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mystiquarte

Understanding Diabetes & How To Avoid It

funkynassau

I posted about this yest. but now it's gone!  Avoid diabetes?  Both my parents and some aunts and uncles had it so the odds of me avoiding it were slim to nil.

Ok, I found it!!!  No idea why it didnt show up before I posted this time!

jwags

Before Diabetes I did everything right. I ate very healthy, mostly organic vegetarian foods. I never ate sugar, honey or any white flours. I worked out in the gym at le least 2-3 hours a day. Most days I would play tennis and do 2-3 gym classes. I had no family history of diabetes but my Endocrine system just stopped working correctly. I am one of those weird thin Type 2's. Nothing I could have done before would have stopped this.

inglucerant

Here's the  problem with these claims about "reversing" type 2 diabetes.

From the Body+Soul "study":

"Professor Wayne Dysinger, president of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, who recently addressed the Australian Lifestyle Medicine Association conference in Sydney, says about half of the cases of type 2 diabetes that have been diagnosed could be totally reversed by lifestyle change alone.

He says recent evidence from the US shows that after taking part in a 30-day intensive therapeutic lifestyle change program, close to 50 per cent of diabetics were no longer diabetic."

Let's take this apart a bit. When he says they "were no longer diabetic", what does he really mean? He means that their fasting blood glucose numbers and/or their A1C results were no longer in the diabetic range. Therefore, the measures they took to treat their diabetes -- better diet, exercise, or both -- resulted in a "reversal" of diabetes.

This is incorrect. Diet and exercise do NOT generally restore your beta cells, or decrease your insulin resistance. Most T2 diabetics and prediabetics who have achieved normal or near-normal numbers only need to eat a few slices of bread or a bowl of rice, and they will go right back to spiking over 140.

Health food blogs and supplement manufacturers love claims of "reversing" and/or "curing" this or that medical condition. It appeals to our desire to fix ourselves with the minimum commitment. All we need to do is lose a few pounds, run a few miles, and we can go back to eating the way we did before we were diagnosed. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I was dx'd 18 months ago, when I developed neuropathy in my feet. I immediately went on a LCHF regimen (about 30 carbs per day). I continued my exercise routine, which involves bicycling around 120 miles per week. I have not "cheated" a single time. Whenever I'm tempted, all I need to do is wiggle my numb toes, and I quickly remember why glucose spikes are so bad.  I haven't gone above 125 a single time since then, and my A1C is 5.7. Technically, these may no be diabetic numbers, but my neuropathy is still there, and all I need to do is eat a single bagel and my blood sugar will spike to around 180.

While I think lifestyle changes are a great way to deal with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes, I don't think you can view this as a fix or a temporary measure. It's something you have to do the rest of your life, unless science discovers a way to truly repair beta cells.

Orlando

Here's the  problem with these claims about "reversing" type 2 diabetes.

From the Body+Soul "study":

"Professor Wayne Dysinger, president of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, who recently addressed the Australian Lifestyle Medicine Association conference in Sydney, says about half of the cases of type 2 diabetes that have been diagnosed could be totally reversed by lifestyle change alone.

He says recent evidence from the US shows that after taking part in a 30-day intensive therapeutic lifestyle change program, close to 50 per cent of diabetics were no longer diabetic."

Let's take this apart a bit. When he says they "were no longer diabetic", what does he really mean? He means that their fasting blood glucose numbers and/or their A1C results were no longer in the diabetic range. Therefore, the measures they took to treat their diabetes -- better diet, exercise, or both -- resulted in a "reversal" of diabetes.

This is incorrect. Diet and exercise do NOT generally restore your beta cells, or decrease your insulin resistance. Most T2 diabetics and prediabetics who have achieved normal or near-normal numbers only need to eat a few slices of bread or a bowl of rice, and they will go right back to spiking over 140.

Health food blogs and supplement manufacturers love claims of "reversing" and/or "curing" this or that medical condition. It appeals to our desire to fix ourselves with the minimum commitment. All we need to do is lose a few pounds, run a few miles, and we can go back to eating the way we did before we were diagnosed. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I was dx'd 18 months ago, when I developed neuropathy in my feet. I immediately went on a LCHF regimen (about 30 carbs per day). I continued my exercise routine, which involves bicycling around 120 miles per week. I have not "cheated" a single time. Whenever I'm tempted, all I need to do is wiggle my numb toes, and I quickly remember why glucose spikes are so bad.  I haven't gone above 125 a single time since then, and my A1C is 5.7. Technically, these may no be diabetic numbers, but my neuropathy is still there, and all I need to do is eat a single bagel and my blood sugar will spike to around 180.

While I think lifestyle changes are a great way to deal with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes, I don't think you can view this as a fix or a temporary measure. It's something you have to do the rest of your life, unless science discovers a way to truly repair beta cells.

Great post, its the truth ,the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

William V

Here we go on the same old merry go round..............

Nobody can legitimately claim a cure when the specific cause is unknown for type 2 or even type 1. There are already almost a dozen areas/systems of the body which are treatable and have scientific proven positive effect on type 2. 15 years ago most of these didn't exist. The endocrine system appears to be influenced by those areas. Together or individually none add up to a cure. This indicates the disease has multiple dynamics.

I've come to believe the use of the phrase "reversal of diabetes" is in error by the writers and is probably due to poor grammar. Higher education does not necessarily mean good skills in grammar ( lawyers excluded).

I would suggest a proper reframing of "reversal of diabetes" found in some studies and literature to say "reversal of diabetes symptoms".

This phrase is more accurate and very believable by many on this site thru their own life experiences living LCHF diet. Waiting too long to take action may, depending on individual circumstances, limit effectiveness. This varies for everyone.

LCHF/keto diet has been practiced by members on this site decades before it became a fad. Now science has started to take an interest in it. Glycemic index is another been there done that. Scientific research has shown for over a decade the prediabetes numbers cause complications and really should be the true defining number for diabetes rather than the politically ascribed one. A few good books have been written and an independent website with corroborating scientific research listed. Endocrine conferences presented on these back in 2012. The list goes on and on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.