Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holymoly

How long did it take for your body to adjust to normal blood sugar?

holymoly

My endo tells me that much of the muscle/joint pain and fatigue I have been experiencing lately is caused by my body adjusting to normal glucose levels. Been on insulin going on 4 months and my numbers have been very good for at least the last 3 months. Just wondering how long it took some of you guys to adjust to having "normal" blood sugar levels. Today I seem even more sore/weak/tired than usual.

HM

funkynassau

I guess I am just weird.  I never felt sick or off or odd in any way so finding out I had t2 was a massive shock to me.   I know some people do feel tired or ill etc., but not me!  Even when my numbers became normal I didnt feel better or different!  

jwags

I think it depends how long you had high Bgs before. It probably took me 6 months or more. I still get some sympyoms if my BGs go Hogh and then crash to normal. My joint and muscle pain has gotten worse since I was dx'd with diabetes 10 years ago. I really do 'nt know if it is age or the diabetes. I have just learned to live with the pain or treat it with OTC meds.

meyery2k

HM - I was diagnosed with Type 2 and not given insulin.  My doctor wanted to see what Metforin, diet, and exercise would do so my circumstances are a little different than yours.

When I first started getting a handle on things, it was a weird time.  In some ways I felt better than I had in years and in other ways I felt much as you described.  I too would have great days and not so great days.

I started exercising seriously for the first time in 20+ years and I was 300+ pounds so it seemed like I was always out of breath, sore, tired, something...

On top of that, as my BG came down to normal and I was trying to get used to low carb my vision was blurry and I felt slightly "unwell" for a period of time.

On top of THAT was learning more about diabetes and going through the anger and feeling bad for myself WHILE trying to learn my new way of eating.

It is a lot to put together but, it can be done.  I feel great now.  It took a few months though. ~ Mike

NoraWI

I felt great the moment I started on insulin. I suggest you ask your doctor to run a TSH or T3, T4 blood test for thyroid function. It seems that problems with the thyroid go hand in hand with diabetes. Sometimes diabetes comes first; sometimes the thyroid acts up first.

Kit

It took me 6 months to go from an A1C of 10.4 to an A1C of 5.2, so my drop in numbers was slow.  I suspect that may be why I didn't notice much since the change was gradual.

There was also a lot of emotional stress at the time (not all of it diabetes related) so just not noticing may have also been a factor.

Bar&In

I felt great immediately after receiving insulin but I was basically the walking dead so not a shocker. It did however take some time for side symptoms, blurred visions, tingles in the feet, etc. to go away.....about 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

meyery2k

I felt great the moment I started on insulin. I suggest you ask your doctor to run a TSH or T3, T4 blood test for thyroid function. It seems that problems with the thyroid go hand in hand with diabetes. Sometimes diabetes comes first; sometimes the thyroid acts up first.

Yeah that's right, I also had the underactive thyroid thing going on too...

Fraser

I was only dealing with high BG fasting 325bg. doc requested I work primarily with diet and. exercise so going from 12.0 to 7 took about a year, and sometimes my coworkers wondered why I had become so difficult to work with.

So did I but, it worked. Well, eventually for me.

But socially it was difficult, understanding eating.

Hammer

Holymoly, by chance are you also taking a statin?  The symptoms you described can also be caused by statins.

If you aren't taking a statin, what you might be experiencing is what we call the "carb flu".  As your body tries to adjust to eating less carbs, you can develop flu like symptoms for a while.  Those symptoms eventually go away, but how long it takes to go away depends on the person.  The only symptoms that I had when I started on insulin and got my BG levels down to normal levels, was blurry vision, and the pins and needles feeling that I had in my feet went away and was replaced by pain...pain that was from the nerves in my feet repairing themselves.  I think those symptoms lasted for about two weeks.  I had no "carb flu" when I switched to a low carb diet, but again, we are all different, so I had no symptoms, but the next person might.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.