Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auenk9

Possibly Pre-diabetic? I am so confused!

Auenk9

Firstly, I apologize for the length of this post; however, I want to give you all the history.  I am hypothyroid, taking 100 mgs of generic Synthroid.  I am also on generic Lipitor, 10 mgs and generic Cymbalta, 20 mgs.  I am a female and will be 61 in January.  I see my Primary Care Physician twice a year for blood work.   At the last appointment in April, my B-12 was low, and all my "heart" numbers were up, but not horribly.  Thyroid was fine.  Nothing was said about Glucose.  I was told to go on a Sublingual B-12 supplement.  I tried various supplements and finally just went to a Vitamin B-12 tablet 1000 mgs  I would take it if I remembered, a couple times a week.  This past Monday I had my 2nd appointment for the year.  

My Cholesterol was 171 which was down from last time; My triglycerides were up to 87; My HDL was 71 and my LDL was 83 which all together puts me in the low risk category for coronary issues.  My T3Total and T4Free were within normal range; My TSH was low.  My B-12 was now HIGH!

Now here is the kicker.  My Glucose was 139!!  This was after a 12 hour fast.  AND, I come to find out that in April, it was 116!!  I was never informed in April of the 116 number.  The doctor ordered an A1C test this time.

I did research (of course) and found that what I wanted to hear was that my A1C test was 5.7 or lower.  On Thursday, I received a call from the doctor's office telling me that the doctor found no evidence of diabetes.  That my number was 5.8.  I asked for their laboratory reference range (knowing that I wanted less than the 5.8 stated) and the nurse said 4 to 6 percent.  That I was in the normal category!

Thus, the confusion!  Do different labs use difference reference ranges?  Is my 5.8 from their lab truly within the normal range which means I am not pre-diabetic??  I do plan on getting in touch with the doctor next week to verify the results and find out if while I was told I was not "diabetic" ---- whether I am in a pre-diabetic state.  

Thoughts?  Help?  Thanks for any input you might be able to give!

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately many medical facilities fudge diagnosis for different conditions to save on costs. If they say you are normal until you reach an A1C of 6.1 they save you and them additional office visits, referral to dietitians, prescribing medication, etc... When I was first diagnosed they wanted my A1C below 7 and considered anything under 6 normal. I had a blood test done 10 months prior to diagnosis and like you no red flags were raised at that time. When I began going to the tribal clinic they set 6.5 as the upper limit and consider anything over 5.6 as prediabetic requiring special attention. If I had gone there first (didn't qualify based on blood quantum until later) they probably would have caught my prediabetes and I could have made lifestyle changes earlier.

miketurco

The real test is called an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. See if you can get one of those. In most states you can order your own blood tests online if the doc won't do it for you.

The diabetes standards used by the medical community were lobbied into place by big pharma and the insurance companies. Don't trust them. Instead, listen to people here who have extensive personal experience and a high level of success in managing their condition.

That 139 is worrisome but it could have been stress induced, etc. Your A1c is not terrible but it's definitely higher than average. If you go that high during your ogtt you may have a problem with glucose tolerance.

You can actually do the ogtt at home with a blood sugar test kit and a medium potato. Not kidding. Maybe someone here remembers the details and can give further info.

Mike

NoraWI

You have received some good information above. I have read that statins can and often do cause higher blood glucose numbers and, eventually, diabetes. Consider dropping Lipitor and cutting down on the carbohydrates you consume. Even if you consider your diet to be a good one right now, cutting down on carbohydrates will improve your numbers and your general health.

Gladtobehere

Yep.   Down with carbs and up with exercise are nice easy first steps for a suspected diabetic, or anyone seeking to improve their health.

If cutting carbs seems tough then simply start documenting your daily intake of carbs and review the results to determine where you could start.  1 less tsp of sugar in your tea or a smaller portion of potato..........whatever.

Start small, stick to the plan.

Jeapa

I was probably pre-diabetic for several years before I realized it. I never requested copies of my labs so unless my gp mentioned some value was off I never questioned it. I also went untreated for hypothyroidism because my doctor believed you didn't need treatment until your tsh went above 10. It turns out I had Hashimotos.

I would talk to your doctor about your concerns and definitely purchase a meter so you can monitor your bg levels.

Auenk9

Thank you, all for your input!  I am somewhat overweight-not horribly.  Could stand to lose .bout 10 pounds or so. While I don't "exercise" per se, I am pretty active, as I train and show my Golden Retriever is various venues (obedience/agility/dock diving/rally/barn hunt).  However, I am a CARBAHOLIC!!  Give me Pasta or give me death, and apparently if I continue the give me Pasta route, I will see death!  :-)  What is the normal daily carb and sugar "target" that I should shoot for, as in keep it under?  Thanks again for your help.  I truly appreciate it! 

Mary Lou

miketurco

Ah yes, the pasta death equivalency. I've heard of that ;)

Carbs are evil but I don't think they hurt everyone. Also, being overweight doesn't cause diabetes, diabetes is the cause of being overweight. (Personal belief but I'm not alone in that thought.)

You need to find out whether your body is managing sugar or not. You can do the OGTT test at home. You need an empty stomach, a blood sugar test kit, and two tubes or a big bottle of glucose tabs. Perform the test follows:

1) Measure your blood sugar when you wake up

2) Immediately eat 75g of sugar pills. (that's 19 big pills, they taste like sickeningly sweet chalk tabs.)

3) In one hour -exactly- measure your blood sugar

4) In one more hour -exactly- measure your blood sugar again

The official (very very loose) criteria is as follows:

> 100 at step 1 = prediabetes

> 125 at step 1 = diabetes

> 140 at step 3 = prediabetes

> 199 at step 3 = diabetes

The extra poke at one hour mark is just for the heck of it because we're masochists. Just kidding. It will help you understand how your body responds to sugar. Also, be sure to wash your hands before testing. 

This is an at home "quick test" that will tell you what you need to know.

Equipment: get the RelyOn Prime Meter from WalMart AND a bottle of 25 strips to go with it. Also, buy enough tubes/bottles of glucose tabs to make up 75 grams of sugar. Should come to under $25.

As to how many carbs you should have in your diet, think of it like this. A true "average" A1c test result for a non-diabetic is somewhere between 4.8 and 5.2. You're at 5.8. In my book, that means your body has difficulty handling glucose, and regardless of the definitions and standards, you do have a slight problem with that. The question isn't how many carbs a person can eat, the question is how many carbs you can eat. My thought is this: cut back to 100g/day or less and do another A1c test in three months. See how that works for you and go from there.

Pretty cool that you show dogs! I've got two dogs. One would be good at diving but the other one you'd have to toss in the water and then jump in and pull him out. As far as doing the barn hunt thing... we've got a cat for that :)

Mike

jwags

Thank you, all for your input!  I am somewhat overweight-not horribly.  Could stand to lose .bout 10 pounds or so. While I don't "exercise" per se, I am pretty active, as I train and show my Golden Retriever is various venues (obedience/agility/dock diving/rally/barn hunt).  However, I am a CARBAHOLIC!!  Give me Pasta or give me death, and apparently if I continue the give me Pasta route, I will see death!  :-)  What is the normal daily carb and sugar "target" that I should shoot for, as in keep it under?  Thanks again for your help.  I truly appreciate it! 

Mary Lou

Even if you did exercise and were thin , you could have still been dx''d as pre diabetic. Eating pasta is the same as eating pure sugar. all carbs turn into Sugar. Normal non diabetic ranges are 70-100 Fasting and 70-120 after meals. Most non diabetics still have a good imsulin response and they may not spike at all with normal carb intake. Pasta contains about 38-45 carbs per 2 ounces. Most people consume much more than 2 ounces. Even a piece of fruit may have 30-50 carbs.

meyery2k

Auenk9 - Welcome to the forums.  Giving up many components of the Western diet is difficult but doable.  Start small and success will reinforce larger steps.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing from time to time.

Auenk9

Thanks again, everyone for all the information. I picked up a ReliOn Glucose meter at Walmart this a.m.  It is the Ultima.  Got home and had my husband stick me.  Now you have to understand, I am known to "faint" when giving blood, so this diabetes thing isn't sitting well with me.  When I was younger, I recall saying if I ever got diabetes, I might as well "die" because there is no way I could do the sticks needed. Fainted both times I got my ears pierced.

I digress.  It took 2 pokes because the first time the machine gave us an Error 7. lolol  Second time it worked and my number was 94.  This was about 1 p.m.  I hadn't eaten yet, other than a cup of coffee with a tiny amount of cream around 8:30 a.m.  My number was 94.  Oh, and when I was taking the "needle" out of the poker thingy, I stuck myself!  My husband and I about died laughing.  So, after 3 pokes, I am still here.  :-)

Thanks Mike for the information on the other test.  

Mary Lou

jwags

Put the Lancer setting on the lowest setting and Lance the side of the tip of your finger. I never liked needles and I don't have pierced ears to this day but I poke myself painlessly 4-5 times a day. Also I rarely change the lancet thing until it gets dull.

meyery2k

Marylou - Many here, including me, use the Relion because the strips are usually the least expensive.  I must say that I LOATHE the lancing tool.  Even at the lowest setting it seems to punch me in the finger and result in way too much blood.

The One Touch Delica lancer with the 33 ga tips work better for me.  Not painful and I can usually get it in one jab.

It never ceases to amaze me what we can do when we have to.

Now the key will be to test and observe over the next several days. 

Test first thing in the morning when you wake up (this is your fasting BG).

Test before a meal, then 60-90 minutes after starting the meal, and then 1 hour after this test.  You should observe a rise and then a fall back to your starting reading at the 2 hour mark.  In general, a non-diabetic will not exceed 120 during this time.  Those with insulin resistance (like me) will exceed 140 if eating too many carbohydrates during that meal. 

Log these results over several days and you will see how your body works.

Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.