Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barry6547

Did I get ripped off?`

Barry6547

For whatever reason, several mornings ago, I popped up out of bed at  2 a.m.  While checking my email I found a sales promotion by a Dr. Marlene Merritt.  She claims that the following have a positive effect on blood sugar....and that will even allow some cheating on one's low-carb diet.  

Extract of Mulberry leaf

Alpha Lipoid Acid (ALA)

Banaba leaf

GS4 Gymnema

She sells a booklet on controlling blood sugar as well as capsules that contain the above-mentioned ingredients.

I make poor decisions when sleep-deprived...at least that's my excuse for possibly being ripped off.  I should be 

receiving a month's supply of the capsules and booklet, plus other stuff.  

Have you folks heard of those ingredients?  I wonder if there is any danger in trying them.  I have heard horror stories

of persons taking herbal-type products and doing damage, for example to their liver, kidneys, etc.  I would ask my doctor

before trying such, but I am certain he is not versed in herbal alternatives.

Any thoughts, feedback would be appreciated.  Right now I feel like an idiot.  At least I am confessing here and presenting

this info. to you as you are a no-nonsense group of  enlightened folks I trust.  I wish I had run this past you prior to pulling

the trigger on ordering from this woman, but what's done is done.  Thanks.

hexex0

I expected to find no studies showing any usefulness at all but with very little research I found some interesting studies on the first two supplements that suggest otherwise.  I'd say you should look for similar studies if you're trying to decide whether or not you might see any benefit, but my gut reaction to most of these supplements is: avoid for any and all uses.  Mainly because:

There is very little or no regulation.

You have no idea if what you're ingesting is what they claim it is, unless there is a valid reason to believe otherwise.

You have no idea if, assuming you're ingesting what is claimed, the dosage is as stated.

You don't really know how the supplements might interact with other foods and medications you may be eating or taking.

Even if it helps, it's not going to help as much as a mild reduction in dietary carbohydrate which requires you to take no risks at all.

ALA might be an exception, since it seems to be widely used for a variety of conditions, but I'd still vet the source before taking it.  If you feel confident in the manufacturer and any possible interactions, sure, why not.

mystiquarte

according to articles I found on mulberry extract it's used extensively in asian countries to control blood glucose and diabetes, quiet effectively. the side effects and warnings:  not proven safe to be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  you have to watch for hypo's and it's safe to be taken for up to 5 wks.

banana leaf is also used in asia for controlling blood glucose levels and diabetes.

:: i don't think you were ripped off, these extracts have great results in clinical trials you do need to be taking 1-2.5grams x 3 times a day of each mulberry and banana leaf extracts to get results ::  i'd be really interested in seeing your results!!

good luck:)

NoraWI

He said *banaba leaf* NOT *banana leaf.*

Sources for all supplements are important because adulterated products are commonly sold.

mystiquarte

banaba can lower your blood pressure, not to be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding, hypo's can occur they suggest monitoring your bgl's closely

are you intending to still use diabetes meds while taking these herbs?

Seagal

GS4 Gymnema and banaba leaf are used for b.g. lowering and banaba leaf is in several of the Berberine supplements.

I think the one Hammer just mentioned (in another thread) had the GS4 Gymnema(similar to gymestra)(sp) included.

I have used R-ALA for joint pain and antioxidants for quite some time.  It and biotin are often used for b.g. (Insulow & Jarrow).

mystiquarte

I am not taking any meds for the prediabetes.  I appreciate all the feedback....

then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, as there is problems when you are taking insulin or insulin inducing meds

i'd suggest doing a base line before starting: so in the lead up to the herbs arriving take your blood glucose readings, record what you eat and take a weight and measurement readings.  then after say 4wks redo the checks of weight and measurements and compare!!  they recommend taking your blood glucose readings regularly as they can give you a hypo

hope it really works for you, be interested see your results

adiantum

Barry , I & many others here don't take meds .

The correct nutrition & exercise is how we control this D.. The day might come when we need meds & that's OK too

Hammer

Some time ago, I was reading up on Mulberry Leaf extract, and the articles that I read said that Mulberry Leaf Extract can lower your glucose levels because it contains a substance that is found in some oral diabetes meds.  I ordered a a bottle of it, but I never opened it.  I figured that, since I was taking insulin and had good control of my BG levels, taking something that could lower my BG levels would mess up my insulin doses.  SInce I'd have to pay for yet another supplement, I decided to just stick with my insulin since I was having good results. I still have the bottle sitting on my kitchen counter.

If you decide to try Mulberry Leaf Extract, there are different kinds of extract that the article mentioned.  It said that one of those extracts would be better than the others, so to search for the extracts that contained that type of extract, so I did and I found this one.  I believe the name of that substance is called Mulberry Leaf Extract (Morus alba)

dowling gram

My belief is that there are no quick fixes for anything including Diabetes and there is always some people trying to make a quick buck off of people who are looking for one. Some of those quick fixes are downright dangerous. I'm not saying yours are but I'd do a lot of research before I took them

Hammer

My belief is that there are no quick fixes for anything including Diabetes and there is always some people trying to make a quick buck off of people who are looking for one. Some of those quick fixes are downright dangerous. I'm not saying yours are but I'd do a lot of research before I took them

Yes, I agree.  What most people don't realize is that a lot of the prescription medicines are derived from various herbs and plants, so taking a supplement is like taking the unprocessed form of some drug.  While there are probably many harmless supplements out there when taken by itself, those harmless supplements might not so harmless when you mix it with a prescription drug.

Barry6547

The only reason I "fell" for the online ad regarding the book and a one-month supply of the capsules was that sometimes I really want something that would raise my bg...such as, possibly potato chips, ice cream.  I keep such a strict regimen of low carb that I just find myself craving popcorn...or even higher-carb veggies such as blackeyed peas.  The ad suggested that taking the capsules would enable a person to "cheat" a little every once in a while without impacting postprandial readings.  I am super strict with my diet....breakfast:  scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, black coffee...Lunch: grilled chicken breast, mustard greens, cabbage, salad with blue cheese dressing, water....Dinner:  possibly a steak, or fish or chicken, one veggie such as cauliflower, broccoli or green beans...and water....so you can see that I am really limiting my carb intake, hence the cravings from time to time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.