Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

email scam

adiantum

These are the most recent scams here..

Watch out for three common holiday season scams:

• Travel scams: scammers trick their victims into believing they’ve won a travel prize or scored a really good deal on a travel package, like a cruise. Unfortunately these seemingly too-good-to-be-true holidays are nothing more than a scammer’s con. In the past 12 months, nearly $86,000 has been lost to this scam, with about 1750 reports.
  • Online shopping scams: scammers will set up believable looking online stores to trick people into goods that don’t really exist. They might also set up fake online classified or auction site listings. They entice people with legitimate looking discounts and may even advertise items as the perfect Christmas present for a loved one. This scam has cost Australians more than $1.3 million in the past 12 months, with more than 6440 reports.
  • Parcel delivery scams: with millions of packages moving across the country to get under a Christmas tree in time, scammers will send fake ‘missed delivery’ notices to potential victims. These scams are aimed at getting people to download malware or ransomware onto their PCs, which can be costly to remove; or steal their personal information. Scamwatch has received about 1700 reports of this scam in the past 12 months

macksvicky

Thanks for the warning Lee! Here when we have a "missed delivery" there is a note posted on the door from the post office or UPS, Fed-EX, whomever and you can call and make arraignments. None of these companies have my email address LOL

adiantum

The parcel post here has my email address & mobile phone number.

If the parcel has a tracking number on it, I get an email advising me its from so& so  &  its in the system & the likely delivery date.

I then get another email & text saying it will be delivered  Friday for example.

Yesterday I got an email & text saying theres been a delay & it will arrive another day & has to be signed for.

Today theres an email & text saying it will be delivered today & has to be signed for.

You can opt out of these notifications but I like to know whats happening.

7 hours ago, macksvicky said:

Here when we have a "missed delivery" there is a note posted on the door from the post office or UPS, Fed-EX, whomever and you can call and make arraignments. None of these companies have my email address LOL

Ive had scam emails but they  require a reply even if its STOP & thats something the PO never do.

Hammer

Ah yes, the e-mail scams.  I use Hotmail, so I can see the first part of the e-mail without opening it.  When I see an e-mail that starts out, "Hello dearest beloved one...", I know that's a scam, so I just delete it.  These idiots don't seem to understand that you don't start a letter with "Dearest beloved one".... it would be more like, "Dear sir...".

I keep getting these third world country idiots calling me on the telephone, telling me that they have a check for XXX millions of dollars for me.  I tell them to keep it, I make more money that that every week, so I don't need that useless amount of money.

When I get a call, and the third world idiot says, "Can I please speak to (my name)", I say , "No you can't", and I hang up the phone.  I get at least one or more of these calls every day.

adiantum

From the Au gov scam alert email....

Victims Scammed Via Western Union May Get Refund

Dear Lee,

The ACCC’s Scamwatch is urging all Australians who lost money to a scammer through Western Union from 2004 to 2017 to take action by 12 February to try to get it back.

Western Union has agreed to pay a penalty of US$586 million to the United States’ Department of Justice (DOJ) after admitting to aiding and abetting wire fraud. The DOJ is using this penalty to provide refunds to eligible people worldwide who were tricked into paying scammers via Western Union.

Australian consumers can use an online form or apply by post to have the money they lost refunded by the DOJ. As this is a US-based action, the ACCC is unable to make claims on a consumer’s behalf or assist consumers with their claims

“Scamwatch hears heartbreaking stories on a daily basis from Australians who have lost money to scammers by wiring funds through Western Union. Over $5 million is reported lost each year to these scams but this is just the tip of the iceberg as many victims don’t contact us,” ACCC Acting Chair Michael Schaper said.

“The sad reality is that in most cases, once you have fallen victim to a scammer, the money is gone – and there’s nothing you can do to get it back. For people who have wired money via Western Union from 2004 until 2017, this may be your chance to recover some of it. There are no guarantees but we strongly encourage you to try by 12 February.”

Scamwatch says scammers often promise prizes, loans, jobs, discounted products and other financial rewards in exchange for sending money upfront through untraceable wire transfers. They also pretend to be family members in urgent need of cash, or law enforcement officers demanding payment for fines, or countless other excuses, but no one ever receives the cash, prizes or services they were promised by scammers.

For further information, visit the US Department of Justice website www.WesternUnionRemission.com for updates and a detailed list of frequently asked questions.

dowling gram

Lots of scams originate in India or there abouts. As soon as I hear that accent I know it's a scam. I know Microsoft does not contact anyone by phone and I can usually spot a scammer in the first few minutes of their call.

The one that really concerns me for seniors is the one I got the other day. This woman spoke perfect English and sounded like she was an educated person. She said she was a lawyer from Revenue Canada and there was an error on my income tax and I owed the government back taxes which must be paid immediately. I was to call a phone number and failure to do so would result in litigation. If I were not aware that such scams were happening to seniors. If I had some dementia or was uneducated and fearful of the government or an immigrant who's first language wasn't English I might of fallen for it. She sounded so legit. Of course I didn't but I could see how some people would and that makes me angry.

OneEye

I still use a voice message on my phone...I never answer it. I'm close enough to it that if anyone I know is calling I can pick up the phone as they're either asking if I'm there...or leaving a message. For now I use the Vtech default message. At one time I left my own message...

"If you're calling about money...I could use some. If you're calling to sell me something...I'm broke. If this is one of my children...sad news, you were adopted. If this is Pete...bring my lawn mower back you scumbag!" beep

adiantum

Deadline extended to 31 May – Victims scammed via Western Union may get refund

On 1/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, adiantum said:

From the Au gov scam alert email....

Victims Scammed Via Western Union May Get Refund

Dear Lee,

The ACCC’s Scamwatch is urging all Australians who lost money to a scammer through Western Union from 2004 to 2017 to take action by 12 February to try to get it back.

Western Union has agreed to pay a penalty of US$586 million to the United States’ Department of Justice (DOJ) after admitting to aiding and abetting wire fraud. The DOJ is using this penalty to provide refunds to eligible people worldwide who were tricked into paying scammers via Western Union.

Australian consumers can use an online form or apply by post to have the money they lost refunded by the DOJ. As this is a US-based action, the ACCC is unable to make claims on a consumer’s behalf or assist consumers with their claims

“Scamwatch hears heartbreaking stories on a daily basis from Australians who have lost money to scammers by wiring funds through Western Union. Over $5 million is reported lost each year to these scams but this is just the tip of the iceberg as many victims don’t contact us,” ACCC Acting Chair Michael Schaper said.

“The sad reality is that in most cases, once you have fallen victim to a scammer, the money is gone – and there’s nothing you can do to get it back. For people who have wired money via Western Union from 2004 until 2017, this may be your chance to recover some of it. There are no guarantees but we strongly encourage you to try by 12 February.”

Scamwatch says scammers often promise prizes, loans, jobs, discounted products and other financial rewards in exchange for sending money upfront through untraceable wire transfers. They also pretend to be family members in urgent need of cash, or law enforcement officers demanding payment for fines, or countless other excuses, but no one ever receives the cash, prizes or services they were promised by scammers.

For further information, visit the US Department of Justice website www.WesternUnionRemission.com for updates and a detailed list of frequently asked questions.

janice21475
11 hours ago, meyery2k said:

I sadly pressed the "reset" button on Fiare's odometer.  Back to 0 for this month.  

Poor Mike, I can tell this was disturbing as it is the 2nd post I have seen. (((Hugs))) Hope that makes it some better.

adiantum

Yesterdays Scam on my cell phone.

Sender : Accounts

MSG : Dear Lee, Your new account has been activated . 

Your current balance: $13,948.18 AUD

Access your account here : www blah blah blah blah.

It cant be Nigerian as theyre more generous then that.

meyery2k
5 hours ago, adiantum said:

Yesterdays Scam on my cell phone.

Sender : Accounts

MSG : Dear Lee, Your new account has been activated . 

Your current balance: $13,948.18 AUD

Access your account here : www blah blah blah blah.

It cant be Nigerian as theyre more generous then that.

:rofl:

adiantum

Don't fall for a scammer's puppy dog eyes

5bfdf9a7-2529-453a-8380-761eb7900647.jpg

Dear Lee,

Scamwatch is warning people to watch out for scammers setting up fake ads pretending to sell adorable puppies, with more than $310,000 lost and 584 reports about this scam in the past 12 months.

“Puppy scammers play on people’s emotions who have their heart set on a particular breed. Once they see that cute puppy picture in an ad, they drop their guard and tend to miss the warning signs they’re dealing with a scammer,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

“Scammers will advertise puppies they know are sought after, particularly pedigree breeds. Reports to Scamwatch show the majority of people have been contacted by scammers via email or online through classified sites and even social media.”

People in the 25–34 age group reported losing the most money to this scam and women are three times more likely than men to get caught out by these scams.

A key sign you may be dealing with a puppy scammer is in the stories they spin. For example, scammers will often claim that they have moved interstate or overseas and that you will need to pay for transport or medical costs before the puppy can be delivered.

Another common lie involves the scammer claiming that the puppy is overseas and it can’t be delivered unless a payment is made due to customs or quarantine issues.

“If you hear these tales from a ‘seller’, stop all communication with them. The puppy, sadly, isn’t real and if you make those payments, you’ll lose your money,” Ms Rickard said.

Ms Rickard said there were some important tips people can follow to protect themselves from puppy scammers.

“Most important is that old saying: ‘If it seems too good to be true, it probably is’. Scammers will place ads selling pedigree pups at cheap prices. Don’t fall for it,” Ms Rickard said.

“Don’t believe the ad is legitimate just because you see it on reputable websites, social media or even your favourite newspapers.

“It’s also worth doing an internet search using the exact wording in the ad. Scammers get lazy and use the same wording over and over again. People are good at sharing intel like this online to save others from getting caught,” Ms Rickard said.

“Finally, if you are in doubt, seek advice from someone in the industry such as a reputable breeders association, vet or local pet shop.”

adiantum

How can you tell if your getting scam phone calls when there in Chinese.

The only words in English are Chinese Embassy in Australia.

I do enjoy listening to the Chinese dialect but I dont want them phoning me on my landline & cell phone.

dowling gram

I don't think it's a scam. A scammer wants to talk you into parting with your money or info so they would be talking in English. More than likely it was a wrong number. Your phone number must be similar to the one at the Chinese Embassy. You could check that with your phone company if the calls persist.

Years ago we had a number similar to a new Pizza place and we were constantly called. I talked to Bell and they resolved the issue without us changing our number. I don't know what they did but the calls stopped coming.

adiantum

The calls have persisted which is what concerns me.

Having both landline # and cell phone is no accident, especially as the cell # isnt listed.

Since posting my concerns a neighbour has told me both her & her daughter have received the same calls.

Scamming is still possible as  one could be agreeing to accept their questioning without knowing it.

Ive contacted scamwatch asking them to look into it

meyery2k

While not a scam my mobile work number ends in 3000 and the hospital ends in 2000.  I sometimes get those calls at 2AM lol...

adiantum

My old number was one digit off the local mining companies.. I'd often get calls saying they couldnt come to work today.

An email from a  friend in Tasmania  this morning saying she has had one call from the Chinese Embassy in Australia.

adiantum

This issue has just been on the local TV news.

It seems  I didnt identify the scam type because I dont speak Mandarin.

It was advised that if one receives this phone call, to hang up & call the police.

Chinese speakers in Australia targeted by phone scammers threatening violence

"Thousands of people in Australia have been targeted by a malicious international phone scam, police say.

People across New South Wales have reported receiving a call from someone speaking in Mandarin, demanding money under the threat of violence. Dozens have fallen victim to the calls.

The phone call, which may come through the messaging app WeChat, mentions debts or unpaid fines.

The target is transferred to a person who claims to be an official from the Chinese consulate or embassy, who makes threats of violence against the target or their family unless payments are made.

If the target is unable to pay, the scammers instruct them to fake their own kidnapping so their family can be extorted into making payments on their behalf.

On Wednesday NSW police said more than $5m had been scammed in NSW alone. One NSW victim paid $1.9m to scammers and there had been three forced fake kidnappings in the past week, said Det Supt Linda Howlett of the financial crime squad....... "

Edited by adiantum

adiantum

While this is not an email scam , its  a really nasty hacking scam.

dowling gram

Wow-In Canada we don't get Chinese scams so I've never heard of them. Most of ours originate in India. As soon as I hear that accent I hang up but they do make me mad when I'm taken away from something I'm doing or if I'm woken up just to listen to nonsense.

One that is going around doesn't originate in India is one of the most diabolical of them all and the elderly and immigrants are mostly the ones caught up by it. The elderly who may have some degree of dementia and immigrants because they come from countries where they were persecuted and they don't understand how our country works. They call saying they are from revenue Canada and you owe a large sum of money in taxes and if you don't pay up Revenue Canada will take you to court. Revenue Canada would never take you to court--they don't have to.

adiantum
7 minutes ago, dowling gram said:

Revenue Canada would never take you to court--they don't have to.

Thats also in Australia, but other nationals  dont have the same freedom & personal security as Australians , so they easily fall victim to these scams.

Hammer
22 hours ago, adiantum said:

While this is not an email scam , its  a really nasty hacking scam.

I have a webcam connected to my computer so that I can Skype with my brother ever few weeks.  Since that's the only time I use it, I keep it covered with a folded up facial tissue.  All you can see with the tissue over it, is the color of the tissue.

When it comes to online support, I only use sites that list the solution, and none of them ever tell you to download anything to correct the problem.  Any site that requires me to download anything, causes me to leave that site.  Any software that I have that requires updates, will automatically download the updates....I don't have to go to a website to download and install it.

I'm not saying that I would never fall victim to a scam, but as cautious as I am, the odds are pretty slim that I would ever relax my suspicious nature of everything and blindly fall for a scam.

Edited by Hammer

control
On 6/2/2018 at 7:17 PM, dowling gram said:

They call saying they are from revenue Canada and you owe a large sum of money in taxes and if you don't pay up Revenue Canada will take you to court. Revenue Canada would never take you to court--they don't have to.

Google Hoax Hotel.  Lots of good videos handling these calls. Many are NSFW (language). 

Some of them are tax frauds.  Some are technical frauds.  I've kept some of the tech scammers on the line for up to 45 minutes without even being anywhere near an active computer.  I once took a call while grilling outside.  The callers know almost nothing about computers and operate from a script.  It's easy to put them off their game or string them along.  If they think they're getting a credit card number at the end of the call, they'll put up with a lot.