Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

email scam

dowling gram
2 hours ago, control said:

Google Hoax Hotel.  Lots of good videos handling these calls. Many are NSFW (language). 

Some of them are tax frauds.  Some are technical frauds.  I've kept some of the tech scammers on the line for up to 45 minutes without even being anywhere near an active computer.  I once took a call while grilling outside.  The callers know almost nothing about computers and operate from a script.  It's easy to put them off their game or string them along.  If they think they're getting a credit card number at the end of the call, they'll put up with a lot.

These calls have nothing to do with computers. They are phone calls saying the police will arrest you and you'll be taken to court. They are made by well spoken individuals and sound legit if you are not aware that it is not the way Revenue Canada operates. They are not looking for a credit card number They want cash and tell you that it must be done immediately. They give you a phone number to call when the transaction is complete. Of course it's a bogus number that is somehow untracable

Hammer

Wow, I guess I must be really rich!  Every day I get at least two e-mails from some official at the Bank Of Africa, informing me that I have received a donation or inherited $5 million, or $20 million, or $50 million (the amount varies).  Adding all of these up, I have over $1 billion waiting for me in the Bank of Africa. (it's always the Bank of Africa.)  I guess if I wait long enough, with all of these donations, eventually I'll be a trillionaire!:lol:  

TX_Clint

My mobile service provider identifies many of these calls and gives them a caller I’d of ‘scam likely’. It’s a running joke to ask friends how many times Scam Likely called today or if they know him or are aware that he really wants to talk to them.

Kit

My current coming in via email is making use of an old password of mine.

As an IT professional, I always HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend

1)  You never use the same password for multiple sites

2)  Change your passwords at least a couple of times a year.  Guess what one of my first tasks is on New Years day.

3)  Go for random generated passwords.  Longer is better.  If you can't remember them, make use of a password manager.  There are a number of options out there to fit any combination of platforms you may use.  My current one I sync the database between my desktop, phone, and tablet via Google drive.  The key file (also needed to access the database) is not kept on Google drive but local network storage at home as well as the devices I used to access it. 

Anyway, so the email goes like this.

The subject line will be something along the lines of "Your password is XXXX"  or it might just be the password by itself.

The content goes along the lines of we know your password and we did some very impossible things using technology in a way that is not possible (a pixel on your monitor cannot be turned into a camera) claiming they have video footage of me doing something I don't do to sites I never go to and unless I want to send this video footage to all of my best friends and family, I have to send them X amount in bitcoins.  The price varies anywhere from $600 (Mr Fuzzy felt that value was insulting) to $7000.

Given how I manage my passwords, I know for a fact the password came from the LinkedIn breach some years ago.

So warning.  No matter how careful you are, we can't control how other sites protect our information.

Be careful of what you share.

Don't reuse passwords

Change your passwords on a regular basis.

Using a password manager, I have about 4 I have to remember (one for the password manager itself) and I spend some time and effort coming up with something I can remember and yet still be long and complicated.  And those also get swapped out at least a couple times a year.

adiantum

" Scamwatch is warning people to be careful about being caught out by holiday season scams.

“Scammers will take advantage of special days or major events like Christmas to fleece people of their money or personal information,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

Here are three common holiday season scams people should look out for:

• Online shopping scams: scammers will set up fake online stores or post goods for sale in buy‑swap-sell groups or online classified sites to trick people into buying items that don’t exist. This scam has cost Australians nearly $3 million in 2018, with more than 8,700 reports.
  • Travel scams: scammers trick people into believing they’ve won a holiday or scored a really good deal on a travel package, like a cruise. Unfortunately the prize or the cheap accommodation are phony. In 2018, nearly $135,000 has been lost to this scam.
  • Parcel delivery scams: scammers may ask you to print off a label, do a survey, claim a prize, or view the status of your delivery by clicking on a link or downloading an attachment. Some scammers may even call or text with claims about an unsuccessful delivery. These scams are aimed at getting people to download malware onto their computer, or give up their personal information. People have lost about $31,000 to these scams in 2018............................."

ran23

After forgetting one of my p/w's for a while, what is a good Password manager program?    One of the most stupid emails I get (in the spam folder) is  'robot@ craigslist'

Kit

I personally use Keepass for Windows

https://keepass.info/index.html

There are unofficial ports for Android and Mac.  I don't know about others.

I personally prefer this one because there are multiple levels of security and its not online so you can still access your passwords if you don't have internet access.

Personally I stick the database on Google drive and sync that with my devices.  I use a key file as well.  I do not store that on Google drive but have it on all on my devices and stored on our internal network.  Then you also need a password in order to access the database as well.

All accounts have their own unique randomly generated passwords and there are only three I need to remember.  Home domain, Google Drive password, and password for the database.

adiantum

Scamwatch is warning members of the public about a spate of text messages asking for emergency assistance. These messages are coming from phone numbers not in your mobile contacts. For example, the text message might read, ‘Please call me back right away. It is an Emergency I need your help!’

People who have called the number back report being verbally abused by a recording on the other end. This is a new and emerging issue. While people have not yet reported losing money as a result of these calls, you may find the content of the recording distressing. Scamwatch therefore advises that you exercise caution or do not respond to these text messages.

Kit

Are people really so gullible that they fall for stuff like that? 

Any text message from any number I do not know and does not identify itself gets deleted and ignored. 

adiantum

Sadly, some are so gullible & I've no idea why.

Ive had an email supposedly from a friend in Michigan claiming she was in London on an emergency family crisis & needed money.

I just deleted it , but another friend of hers actually replied. She didnt send money but just  replying was risky.

Hammer

I have many passwords and usernames also, but I use the tried and true method....I write them down in a small, pocket, spiral, notepad that I keep on my computer desk here at home.  Since I'm the only one who lives here, no one else can see it.☺️  My method obviously wouldn't work if you need to use computers away from home, since you'd need to bring the small notepad with you, and it could get lost or stolen.  I guess you could place all of your usernames and passwords on a thumb drive and password protect it, that way, you'd only need to remember the one password to access the thumb drive.

Kit

My mother does similar as she never needs to access most things unless she's on her computer at home.  She has a lock box she keeps the sheet in a lock box she has a hiding spot for in her house.  Not the best thing to do, but better than nothing.

Not entirely friendly for me.  Here's an example of one of my passwords.  Not one of my actual passwords, but generated to the same specifications.

gatYDXQD_+Ycfz#Ef9c$+FCT_=zZ7@s2vD6DMGN8DSb69sV8cY9%dYfswP7P&YX&WW3_NcF2JEB+G9fD96v@x$-cB2f9fc*FeG@b2Lq=%_k4PPv%U7ek$n+_MJR9&7?YWSvwuZQY!8v=pL?3DXp*TTX-wP5CX-=V+_hzTUacMuWfk@?5s-^nd?FyzaJx+HUj_*agB*yL^-r9%6E7jswRa33N?898LB7ye*?qZxkxzb48VmAWGC?96?SBW8AeQ9Q=

Hammer

This post is not about a scam, but I found a website that was able to check and see if those of us in the US, have had our Social Security Numbers stolen, which I think is a type of scam.  I came across this a few days ago, and decided to check it out.  It's call checkmyssn.com, and what it does is to check through a number of credit companies, banks, loan companies, etc., to see if someone else is using your Social Security Number illegally.  A one time use costs $4.95, but, being the suspicious type, I wasn't sure if this was a legitimate site.  After a bit of investigating, I determined that it was a legitimate site, so I paid the $4.95, and I got a report, indicating that no one else was using my SSN.  This site doesn't give out any personal info, and when it checks to see if anyone else is using your SSN illegally, the report that you get, doesn't give out a lot of personal information that it puts in the report.  It just gives out the first name and last initial of anyone using your SSN, their city and state, but not their actual address or phone number.  I used this site because I was always wondering if someone else was using my SSN illegally. 

What made me want to do this was because, many years ago, I got my usual statement from my prescription drug insurance, showing all of the prescriptions that I had gotten in the last few months, and there were several prescriptions from a pharmacy that I never heard of, for prescriptions that I had never heard of, so I called my insurance company and told them about it.  I don't know what the insurance company did about it, since I never saw any more prescriptions filled at that pharmacy for those medications that I had never heard of.

Diana_CT

Passwords... I use various levels of passwords. For sites like creating polls for my bog or other low security sites I use the same passwords. For banking sites and other high risk site I use a unique pass phrase like "the big red fox jumps" and then add a string of numbers.

Spam emails... I never open them.

Robocalls... Everyone in my contact list has a special ringtone; my family has a special ringtone, my friends have a different ringtone, and businesses on my contact list also have a unique ringtone. If it is not one of those ringtone I don't answer the phone.

adiantum

@Hammer , it's possible that the pharmacy itself was attempting  fraud with your insurance co.

My sisters former doctor got caught doing it. She was contacted by the medical fraud investigators to confirm some of the visits to that doctor.

There were numerous discrepancies with his claims, some were when she was in hospital yet he claimed she visited him in his surgery.

Its sad that people are falling victim to scams. How did they miss   the lesson of  theres no such thing as easy money without a catch. 

I know of two of our former members have been stung with the Nigerian romance scam. One even thought she was reporting the scam to an authority but it was a scam to " report a romance scam ".

If I know of two then its possible theres others, so discussing scams might just save another.

In todays media  a retired US Colonel is lobbying facebook to do something about scammers.

Scammers have made him a victim by using his face, name  & story .

Over 3,000 women have been duped & some have even contacted his wife & family.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-12/facebook-bryan-denny-is-the-face-of-military-romance-scams/10786180