Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tashabinx

Type 2 + Pregnancy + BG monitoring

tashabinx

Hello everyone

I am 5 weeks pregnant, and am due to go onto insulin this week, to replace Sitagliptin. I have been advised to test my glucose levels 7 x daily. 

So i've been asked to test myself, before every meal, 1 hour post prandial and again before bed. I am just a little confused about my snacks, ie soya milk tea, or some nuts or fruit - and the timing of my post prandial tests.

Do I just time the PP test, after my breakfast, but then ignore if I've had a snack? Or do I have breakfast, wait until my morning snack, and then test? The diabetic nurse just said to test after my 3 main meals, but didnt mention snacks.

Appreciate your advice as this is all very daunting x

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. Your goal is to get your blood glucose levels as close to normal as possible, much of this has to do with what you eat and the timing of that food consumption. A non-diabetic has their blood glucose back to baseline (under 100 mg/dl) within two hours regardless of when they eat, but as diabetics it may take hours more so eating a carby snack too soon after a meal (less than 2 hours) can extend an PP rise in blood glucose longer and skew your 2 hour results, especially if it is a carby snack. I try to spread my eating out at least 3.5 hours and eat low carb snacks only, but if you do have a carby snack such as fruit I would test to make sure it is not extending your previous meal's blood glucose rise even more.

NoraWI

I assume you have been given an insulin to carb ratio for dosing before each meal. That is the action you take after you test before a meal. Have you also been given a correction ratio if you run higher than goal after a meal? If not, it makes no difference whether you test PP or not since no action will result. As to when to test PP, if you were told 1 hour, then test then. Can't you go 4 hours without snacking? If not, then eat extremely low carb things such as nuts or cream cheese on celery.

JohnSchroeder

Nora gave you some good advice there.  The point of testing is two-fold.  One, to know how much insulin you need to give yourself.  Two, to learn what impact the foods you are eating have on your blood sugar.

Were you T2 diabetic before the pregnancy?  Or is this likely a temporary situation due to gestational diabetes?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.