Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UmWorried

Scared and Unsure

UmWorried

Hello all,

I am 42 years old and not sure where I stand. A couple of years ago I was overweight and before I started eating better and exercising, I weighed 203 pounds. I did a fasting blood sugar test and it was 107. A few months later I dropped 15 pounds and it was 87. A year later it was 93 (all fasting instant blood sugar tests).

Anyways, about a year ago I suffered from depression and stopped eating good and working out. I ate fast food a lot, lots of chocolate and just bad stuff. I weighed myself in mid October and I was shocked. I weighed 217 pounds. That was a 30 pounds gain and I am only 5 foot 7 (male). So obviously I decided to start eating better and exercising again and I went to the doctor today. I weigh 207 pounds, blood pressure was 110 over 72 and resting heart rate was 64 bpm. I will say though that even during the past 2 months I was still eating lots of carbs. Bread and butter at restaurants and still a decent amount of chocolate.

So I mentioned to my doctor that at times I will be standing up and I feel a little lightheaded. Also I notice that 1 of my eyes with my glasses on gets a little blurry. She did a fasting quick blood test prick and it was 120!!! She told me that 121 meant diabetes and that she ordered blood work to check my H1C. The last time over a year ago I got my H1C checked it was 5.8. So now I am freaked out. I looked online and it said between 100-125 was pre-diabetes and 126 and over is diabetes. But why did she say 121 is diabetes? I am confused.

Be honest guys, do you guys still think I have pre-diabetes and I can change this or do I have diabetes? I am hoping I haven't fully hit diabetes yet but I am scared. I don't have increased thirst symptoms which is good I guess. I am on the treadmill now 5 days a week for an hour and I do weights as well.

Please give me some thoughts and thanks!!!

Kit

Hi UmWorried, welcome to the group.

It does indeed sound like you are insulin resistant.  Be it diabetes or pre diabetes (really just a quibble in phrasing) it can certainly be managed.

The biggest affect will be lifestyle changes.  Dropping extra weight, exercising, and diet can work wonders.

Watching your carbohydrate intake is the biggest factor.  I would recommend you get a blood glucose meter and start testing yourself before and after meals.  These are, in my opinion, more useful numbers than your morning fasting number.  The before will give you a base line, the after will help you determine how your body reacted to the food you ate.

You'll also want to set your target goals.  I personally aim for non diabetic numbers.  This mean I want to be under 100 fasting or before meals and back under 100 by 2 hours after the first bite.

A good rule of thumb for an A1C under 6 is to be under 100 fasting and before eating and under 140 by 1 hour and under 120 by 2 hours.

I have to run for a meeting.  Good luck.  Take a look at our recipe section, there are a lot of good meal ideas there.

UmWorried

Hi UmWorried, welcome to the group.

It does indeed sound like you are insulin resistant. Be it diabetes or pre diabetes (really just a quibble in phrasing) it can certainly be managed.

The biggest affect will be lifestyle changes. Dropping extra weight, exercising, and diet can work wonders.

Watching your carbohydrate intake is the biggest factor. I would recommend you get a blood glucose meter and start testing yourself before and after meals. These are, in my opinion, more useful numbers than your morning fasting number. The before will give you a base line, the after will help you determine how your body reacted to the food you ate.

You'll also want to set your target goals. I personally aim for non diabetic numbers. This mean I want to be under 100 fasting or before meals and back under 100 by 2 hours after the first bite.

A good rule of thumb for an A1C under 6 is to be under 100 fasting and before eating and under 140 by 1 hour and under 120 by 2 hours.

I have to run for a meeting. Good luck. Take a look at our recipe section, there are a lot of good meal ideas there.

Thanks for replying but to me it is important if I have full blown type 2 or not there yet. Is it true that 126 means you have it but 120 doesn't? That seems to be the consensus online at various websites. I do know regardless of what it is, I have work to do to stop this from progressing where it would be 100% evident that I have type 2. I got the working out and cardio thing down. Now I am cutting for the foreseeable future all chocolate and processed sugar out of my diet. Oh and the bread and butter schtick at the restaurants. Right now 207 pounds is very overweight for a 5 foot 7 inch male. Let me get down to the 180's and I think things will be much better. Unfortunately that's not easy to do.

Moonpie

Welcome, the bread baskets , when eating out, are so tempting, maybe you can ask the server to not bring it to the table, or only bring one roll to the others if you are not dining alone. Lifestyle & food choices can go a long way in stopping this from progressing any further. 

hexex0

Pre-diabetes is diabetes.  It's a progression, not a switch, unfortunately.  Look at it this way, the steps you'd take to "reverse' pre-diabetes are the same steps you'd take to control diabetes.  They're changes you're going to need to make and stick to indefinitely for the best outcome.  If you take the steps soon enough, you'll avoid a lot of progression and have a much easier time of it, thus the nomenclature of pre-diabetes vs. diabetes.  I understand that it's important for you to make the distinction, but it's not that clear cut, especially with one test.  They could test you again immediately and find it's higher or lower.  The important thing is to control it immediately regardless of the diagnosis on paper.

Is it possible that you can cut your carb intake, add regular exercise, see near normal or normal numbers and exist that way indefinitely?  Yes it is, and that's going to be what tells you how far the progression is.

Welcome to the site, lots of good people and information here.

jwags

Any fasting above 100 indicates diabetes. Pre Duqbets is 100-125 and over 125 is Diabetes. That being said Pre Diabwtes is Diabetes in its early stages. The initial weight gain may have caused you to become insulin resistant. The Fasti g numbers are usually the last ones to rise. a good indicator would be for you to test your blood sugar after meals.

Kit

What everyone else said.

Think of it this way.  If you are 3 pounds under the obese definition, does that really make you in much better shape than another who is 2 pounds over?

Diabetes or pre diabetes, you are insulin resistant.  What's important is how you manage it and the steps required to achieve that management.  The medical community likes to use the term reversing diabetes.  This does not mean cured, it just means that someone is managing to keep normal blood glucose levels.  It does not mean their diabetes has magically gone away.  Or, more accurately, their insulin resistance has not gone away.

meyery2k

Um - Welcome and kudos for taking this seriously.  The clinical definition of Type 2 diabetes in the United States are the following based on the information from the Joslin Diabetes Center (http://www.joslin.org/info/how_is_diabetes_diagnosed.html)

We really can't tell you if you are diabetic or not, your doctor would be the best person to make that determination.

Kit has provided some wonderful advice to see for yourself if you are insulin resistant or not.  Whether you fit the criteria for being diabetic or not, if you are insulin resistant, that needs to be addressed.

One strategy that works for many here, including me is to limit the amount of carbohydrate eaten.  Most of the daily carbs come from non root vegetables.

Try and avoid pasta, grains, rice, bread, potatoes, fruit, and sugar. 

This may sound like a very limited diet but, the reality is that there are many wonderful foods to eat instead of sugars and starches.

One year ago, I would have openly scoffed at the information presented here.  Unfortunately, I had foolishly not visited the doctor in years and was blind-sided with a diagnoses.  I fit the criteria with 2 random readings over 200 and an A1c of 8.5.  I have witnessed, first hand, family that have lost limbs, eyesight, organs, and eventually, their lives to complications.  It was a painful, ugly, and smelly process and I will do everything I know how to not subject myself or my family to that.

Through testing, as Kit has explained, I have found that I am primarily insulin resistant.  I make plenty of insulin.  Through diet and exercise I have my A1c below 5, my fasting BG is in the 80's usually, and I rarely go over 120 after eating.  I eat better than I have eaten in a long time.  I have learned to prepare food.  There are many wonderful recipes out there for us to try.

Please do not worry overmuch about being diabetic.  Yes, it is important to respect that you might have diabetes (if it turns out you do) and to acknowledge it.  There is much you can do to help make sure you can live a full and productive life with it.

Diabetes vs. pre-diabetes - Many here consider it the same side of the coin.  You are just not badly off yet to be called diabetic.  The consensus here would be that, if you are pre, you should treat yourself like you are diabetic and you have an excellent chance of not crossing that threshold and facing the headaches of life insurance, health insurance, and the other bureaucratic bs.

I hope you decide to join our community.  Feel free to ask questions.  You will get great advice here from people that have lived with this for a long time. ~ Mike

I do hope you decide to join our community. 

Dave_KC

Hi:

As one recently diagnosed with diabetes, first things first, start taking care of yourself now and you've got a shot of it not getting out of control.  Those are very borderline numbers, and you sure want to keep them down.  

I would guess with the right lifestyle choices now you'll stay under control and not get out of control, and that's what matters.  

Anyway, great to have you here, and best of luck in dealing with these things. 

Orlando

You seem to be exactly where I was almost 4 years ago. FBG of 121and ca 110 KG ie242 lbs. I now weigh about 65 Kg[ 143 lbs] and my FBG this morning was 75 mg/dl. Was it easy to get here, NO IT WASNT, but the alternative is far worse, so there is the motivation. You got some really excellent advice above.

My advice ,get a glucometer, test your FBG and post prandial results ie 1,2,3,5 after the first bite, you will soon discover if you are insulin resistant and to what extent. Read plenty, knowledge is power. The rest will follow. Enjoy the forums and benefit from the combined wisdom and experience of its members. 

UmWorried

You seem to be exactly where I was almost 4 years ago. FBG of 121and ca 110 KG ie242 lbs. I now weigh about 65 Kg[ 143 lbs] and my FBG this morning was 75 mg/dl. Was it easy to get here, NO IT WASNT, but the alternative is far worse, so there is the motivation. You got some really excellent advice above.

My advice ,get a glucometer, test your FBG and post prandial results ie 1,2,3,5 after the first bite, you will soon discover if you are insulin resistant and to what extent. Read plenty, knowledge is power. The rest will follow. Enjoy the forums and benefit from the combined wisdom and experience of its members.

Thx Orlando, yeah it seems like I am pretty similar to you. I know that some people on here don't like labeling but I think 120 is still in the pre-diabetes range (although not by much). What's going for me is that I caught this before there would be no question about me having type 2. Is my blood pressure 110/72 good and 64 resting heart rate good? I am walking on the treadmill and hour a day 5 days a week using an incline which takes some getting used to. I avg about 20 miles a week on there.

Now though after that 120 result I am cutting ALL sweets and the majority of carbs from my diet. No more working out and then deciding to have a short rib sandwich with tomato and cheese and then a brownie and ice cream. That pretty much negates my hour of walking. If I could go from 207 pounds now down to mid 180's in a few months I think I will be much better off. I am scared though.

Joisey

My co-worker got a FBG of 103 and was told he is pre-diabetic. My understanding is normal is between 80 and 120. My guess is that perfectly healthy folks tend towards the lower end of the scale. Try LCHF for a year and I bet you get back to normal.

UmWorried

So to update, after my 120 reading yesterday morning after fasting approximately 10 hours, the doctor ordered more complete blood work. So I went to a lab right after and got more blood work(still not eating or drinking yet).

The results came back and she said my A1C is 5.9. My cholesterol is 139 and my triglycerides are 190.

So can someone tell me if I am a diabetic? What does all of this mean. I am so confused. Thx. Oh and my fasting blood sugar from the lab was 104. Why was it so different an hour later than 120? Please help me guys and gals. Thx.

Fraser

First test readings vary, there is even a 10% variance on each peice of equipment. 2nd lab test use blood from a different source so it is usually different than finger prick numbers. BG levels vary from hour to hour or even more, that the body just doing its job, So all you are looking for is trends not specific numbers. And your trend is very clear, your blood sugar is elevated above the normal level, but not necessarily in the range that requires medical intervention. At your level most protocols suggest diet and portion control, increase exercise and loose weight at that level. So in my opinion you do know what to do next.

As to being prediabetic or a diabetic, it is a diagnostic and insurance term. It does not really matter, your numbers are elevated .

I would proceed with diet, exercise and weight loss. .

My opinion hope that helps

meyery2k

Worried - Your doctor would be the one to determine if you are diabetic or not.  There are diagnostic critertia that must be met.  Usually the outcome of several different tests are taken together and then evaluated. 

It would appear, based on the data you have presented, that you do have elevated glucose levels.  The A1c of 5.9 falls into the range of pre diabetes and the "normal" fasting glucose level is now defined as 100.  I seem to remember the threshold being 110 or 120 not too long ago but it would appear these limits are being adjusted downwards as more evidence supports that complications, while far less likely, can still occur within these ranges.

As Fraser pointed out, diabetes is a label used to diagnose a condition.  It would appear that, whether you have diabetes or not, your glucose reading are slightly elevated.  The good news is that you see this now and have a very good chance of getting those numbers down like Orlando did.  It will require some changes but they might not be as large as you think.

With your glucometer and the testing advice you have been given, you have an excellent chance of keeping this under control.  You might not have to be as rigid with what you eat as many of us must do.  Everyone is different so the advice given here can, and should be, tailored to what works best for you.  You might find you can tolerate more carbs than those of us with full blown T2.  You might even find some foods have little effect and others you need to avoid.  I have found that I can eat potato (a reasonable amount) and I am fine but rice, or anything made with rice like noodles, mochi, rice flour, etc...  will send me over 140 quite readily.  Bread, sadly, does the same.

If you don't have one yet, get a Relion meter from Walmart and the strips.  The strips are the financial black hole of pre-diabetes.  You can get a pack of 100 strips for about $20 at WalMart.  They are accurate enough to watch for the trends that we have been discussing.  Yes, you will find variance between the meters and with the labs but if you read 140 or higher 2 hours after eating on ANY meter, that is an indication that you need to determine how/why that happened and adjust accordingly.

You have mentioned on a couple of occasions that you are scared.  I empathize since it is scary facing the fact that you might be "broken".  It might help if you share some of your specific fears.  This is a very large community and I would bet, dollars to donuts, we all have experienced this and we can counsel you. ~ Mike

Fraser

Just had a thought. I personally would try to avoid having a diagnosis of t2 diabetic. We don't know what the new guidelines will be when Obama care is recinded or changed. When I was diagnosed T2 (before Obamacare) was consisdered a "preexisting condition". Which meant you could be refused health insurance, all or part. When I was diagnosed I was looking to change jobs, decided it was best I did not.

I also could not start my own consulting business, there we no exchanges, and most companies would not insure a diabetic, at all or for a period of time.

That changed under Obama Care.

So that is all up in the air now. Something to think about

UmWorried

Wow, thx to everyone for all the great advice. I am really taking it all in. How is my cholesterol at 139 and triglycerides at 190? And blood pressure of 110/72 and resting heart rate of 64? What do I make of those readings?? Thx again.

adiantum

Fraser has given you great advice in avoiding a diagnosis of diabetes.

Its unknown territory what the changes will be to the health system.

Here in Australia, I have to declare being diabetic when renewing my drivers license & that I don't take meds for it.

Those that take meds have to get a letter from their doctor to declare them as controlled.

One  driver who has had a few accidents has to test & record her BG when she gets into her car & every 30mins from there after until she leaves the car.

Her insurance company has her dancing to their tune.

To me you are diabetic but if you avoid fruit & juices, pasta, rice, flour products such as bread etc you could get your A1c down to a pre D level.

jwags

Your BP is good but it can change quickly during the day. in the morning my BP is usually around 100/64 with a HR of 60. But later in The day it can jump much higher. Your TRIGS seem high to me but ask your doctor. normal fadting is 70-90. Once it goes above thst your in the pre diabetic range. My husband has been type 2 for 20 years and his HbA1 c runs between 5.5-5.8. he is still a type 2. I think now a days doctors are intervening earlier and earlier. my doctors want my fasting below 100. I feel best when it is 84-100 range. I am a thinnType 2 who exercised 2-4 hours a day before diabetes. I weigh 112 pounds and my BMI is. 20. I usually walk and do elevation for 90 minutes a day or 4 miles. I am in great shape but I am still a diabetic and at risk for lots of other complications. I don't want to be a diabetic, but I am and I just have to deal with it. Type 2 is usually about eating carbs, not sugar. So Even healthy carbs like whole grains and fruit can be problems for us,

Dave_KC

Your TRIGS seem high to me but ask your doctor. normal fadting is 70-90.

I had a Doctor talking on the Triglycerides and normal was below 150, and he indicated that he wasn't worried until they hit 200, so it's probably wise to keep and eye so it doesn't go above that.  

MariaGordon

I read your blog, really it's really painful to you. But i think you can ask this to your doctor. It's batter to you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.