Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Doe

New with a Couple of Questions

John Doe

Greetings-

Although I've been lurking for a couple of days (thank you for all of the helpful information), I'm a bit uncertain if this is where my question belongs. Please excuse me if it is posted in the incorrect location.

Brief background:

• 57 year old male (just typing that number is surreal...where did the years go?).
  • Weight = 184 (down from 200 six months ago, maybe a bit more than average amount of muscle).
  • A1c: 5.9 four months ago; 6.1 three weeks ago
  • Watching what I eat for slow, sustainable weight loss and BG impact.

Question: It seems that a monitor would help me gain a bit of data to guide my efforts. Some of the more informative posts were supported with BG readings at certain time intervals after eating, fasting, etc.

1. Should I secure a monitor and begin regular (or semi) readings?
  2. If so, suggestions on brands, etc.?
  3. Candidly, I am a bit apprehensive about the finger sticks. Should I be?
  4. Do you know of any educational videos that address diabetes beyond the most superficial level?

Any feedback will be helpful.

Please and thank you.

Kit

Hi John, welcome to the group.

Yes get yourself a meter and start testing.  If your doctor won't prescribe a meter and strips then your insurance won't pay for them.  In that case I recommend going for a meter with inexpensive strips.  Walmart's ReliOn Prime meter has strips 50 for $9.  You can also check the cost of strips for the various meters on Amazon.  Sometimes you can get decent strips there.

While finger sticks can sting a little, it really isn't that big a deal.  Paper cuts are a lot worse.  I had worse pokes and prods as a kid playing outside.

Here are a few references that might be useful.

Not a video, but a very interesting series of articles

Its the Insulin Stupid

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/09/its-the-insulin-1.html

Its an 8 part series.  The link goes to part 1.

moe22

YES, differently (sp); you should get a meter if a pre-diabetic or full  blown diabetic ( by that I mean if you take med's)&& yes some on here test at the intervals you talking about; I however test one time a day (usually fasting blood glucose) > A lot on here suggest the Reli-on Brand Walmart sells ( strips are cheaper than most) I think but my strips &meter are paid thru Medicare(Embrace brand); but really any meter is up to the task.....Ha!!....Ha!!! No don't be it's just a mild sting sensation (frankly I rather put up with that is maybe lose a leg or something in the future), no educational video :I was kinda lucky I guess me & one of my girlfriends ( really more of my Mom"s school chum)was Dx about the same time & took classes with her ( Lona Roberts taught them) that was 16 yrs.ago.  also you might want to check at you local pharmacy when I first bought my meter (paid (out of pocket ab that time); I believe if I bough a 100 strips you got a meter that used them strips free & you're pharmacist should also be able to help ( get a fairly cheap meter) cost wise. 

meyery2k

John - Welcome.  Kit has given great advice.  A meter and a box of 50 strips is a small investment that will help you see for yourself if you might be insulin resistant. 

You may very well be able to nip this in the bud and, with a good diet and exercise, avoid a diagnosis of diabetes.

Finger sticks - I have had the best luck with the One Touch Delica tool on the lowest setting and the 33 ga. lancets.  Everything else seems to just punch into my fingers and results in too much blood.

I hope you will join us and ask any questions you would like.  The only bad question is the unasked question. ~ Mike

John Doe

Thank you for the replies and video/resource links. Thank you also for the encouragement and, yes, meyery2k, "nip it in the bud" would be nice. :-)

As you guys know, eating for weight loss and eating for IR are two different things. I've never been "heavy," although using the guidelines on the web I still should loose weight. Like most folks (but not all), exercise is not a "fun" activity for me and needs to be scheduled, etc. Trying to put it all together without obsessing over diet/exercise and allowing it to be the central issue of my day.

On the other hand, just from reading here I can see that there is a fair amount of effort involved. You folks are on top of your game. After I have learned all that you guys know, perhaps the "awareness" will not be so consuming ("How many carbs does that have? What type of carbs? With what am I consuming it?"). My guess is that for some, you calculate carbs, net carbs, blood readings, etc. without too much strain. I'm still trying to get my head around it.

At any rate, thanks very much for the information.

I'll be picking up a meter this weekend....perhaps a brand that can test blood THROUGH the skin, without a draw. :unsure:

Kit

I do want to reassure you, while this all takes a significant amount of mental effort early on, it does get easier.  I can promise you that.  :)

Re exercise, anything done often enough consistently enough becomes a habit.  Many many years ago I started taking evening walks.  When I was diagnosed as diabetic I just increased the distance and time of those walks.  I'm to the point now that I get twitchy if I have to skip one for some reason.  I've gone out in sub freezing temps with high winds.  Rain and wind storms, snow, heat, fog, and just about anything else you can come up with.  :)

re weight loss.  Actually a lot of people report significant weight loss with a lchf diet as well as much better control over their numbers.  I my opinion its worth giving a try to see how it works for you.

Re meter:  sadly there aren't any that that do that, at least not yet.  There are some in development that I'm hoping eventually make it to market.  We are all stuck pricking ourselves multiple times a day.  But really, it isn't bad.  Think of it this way.  What do you prefer, pricking your finger a couple times a day or never being able to read a book or drive a car?  Diabetes complications are very real and self monitoring is vital to successful treatment.  I have a family chock full of diabetics and most of them suffer from at least one complication due mostly to believing their doctors and nutritionists and diabetes educators in that high numbers are just fine and that testing isn't really a requirement.  I honestly sometimes believe they encourage people not to test so that we don't catch on to just how horrible their dietary advice is.  :)

Barry6547

Meyery2K suggested 33 gauge lancets for finger pricks and I strongly agree.  At first I was using the 30 gauge and that was  painful and was simply overdoing it.  I use the very expensive Freestyle Lite strips with my Freestyle meter.  I found the Walmart Relion meters to read higher than my actual BG reading; however, I guess adjusted for the higher reading, you could probably have reliable information...I say that, but know there are many people who find their Relion meters/strips to be accurate, but that was not the case for me.  I do use the Relion lancets, and again, 33 gauge should work without such a wound as when using the larger gauges.  Testing=knowledge=getting things under control.

John Doe

To close the loop on this OP: I purchased the Relion Ultima, 100 strips, 100 lancets (30 gauge) at Walmart.

Had to monkey with the meter (the instructions read "calibrate" but that doesn't seem necessary, etc.) but finally got everything lined up and took the reading (had to stick myself twice as the first attempt yielded too little blood).

My reading is 105 about 1.15 hours after my last bite of dinner (small steak, green beans, tomatoes).

It appears that I am on my way to being able to secure some actual data to inform my "process."

Thanks again for the suggestions and assistance. I know where to come with questions. ;-)

Best wishes for a great holiday!

Barry6547

Orlando, that's an excellent site for everyone!  I like the fact that is dispels with the nonsense about what has been typically considered normal blood sugar.  Thanks for sharing!!

Moonpie

If you get fed up of pricking finger tips, try alternate site testing, I use my forearm or thigh, it hurts a lot less & I am a big baby. Welcome to DF.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.