Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crizal

Carbs and sugars in beer

Crizal
I confess I like to drink beer. Since Mr. D showed up I've been sticking to "lighter" style beers, (pilsners, kolshes, etc.), as a compromise.  The other day, "She Who Must Be Obeyed" (SWMBO), slyly asked, "Doesn't beer have a bunch of sugar that you're trying to avoid?"  I quoted Ben Franklin, "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy."  But pithy comments to change the topic stopped working on SWMBO long ago. I tried to counter with, "Well it's sugar and CARBS, and I'm drinking lighter, lower carb beers now as a compromise to heavy malted beers."  SWMBO tightened the noose, "But aren't "lighter" beers made using rice sugar, and you're always telling me how you can't eat rice, so isn't drinking beer made from rice sugar--what's the word--idiotic?"  The second SWMBO said "rice sugar" my brain screamed, "TRAP, TRAP, retreat, retreat", but it was too late.

We had a good conversation after that, but in the end her point that beer was counter productive in every way, was hard to dismiss.  So I humbly turn to this forum for some perspective/advice on alcohol, specifically beer, with its sugars and carbs.  Are there "better" choices than just abstinence?  I know we can't cut everything, but is my thought that "lighter" beer is any better than "darker" beers sound?

For perspective my diagnosed A1C was 8.3, and my last lab was 4.9, so I doing a lot of other things right to manage my D.

While I'm still trying to figure out how/who fed SWMBO the "rice sugar" tidbit--way out of her wheelhouse--I am preparing, I'll admit honestly, "justifications" to avoid sending beer the way of Chunky Monkey.  The best I've come up with so far is that we live in a state with legal recreational pot, so eliminating bread, rice, ice cream, and BEER could be a gateway move to becoming a pot head.  But I doubt SWMBO will buy that. Alas, Ben Franklin also has no pithy quotes that help.

TrickyTreeFrog

First and foremost.....thank you for the giggle....second...Merry Christmas.

I am not a beer drinker but I do not think that a couple of beers are bad...now if your drinking a six pack a day hummm we may need to rethink the math.....others that have better knowledge can chime in....but if I am to place my vote.....

..votes tis otay to drink a beer or two here and there .....they say (a) glass of wine at night helps with D.....but maybe someone here can tell you a bit more about that ...wink

Hugs 

DaFwog

NoraWI

Sugars ARE carbs. Carbs ARE converted to sugar. And all sugars are sugars, rice sugar included, whatever that may be. That said, I drink an occasional Michelob Ultra with 2.6 carbs (read the labels). By occasional, I mean a couple of times a week during the heat of summer. If we had hot weather in winter, I would drink it then, too :). I like beer. There are quite a few "lite" beers out there. I have tried them all and decided that Michelob Ultra is IT for ME because it still has taste. You may decide otherwise. Drink beer. Drink dry wine. They are good for you. :D

BTW, you seem to be doing splendidly controlling your numbers. I'll drink to THAT!

meyery2k

I believe the occasional beer is OK and indulge once in a great while.  As with all, "Can I eat..." questions, the best way to determine this would be to test at 1 and 2 hours after consumption and see if it affects your BG badly.

I have taken to drinking spirits regularly now so I don't have to worry at all lol...

Kit

Good for swmbo for pushing awareness of the subject.  :)

Yes, beer is carby. Some are more carby than others.  Look at the nutritional information to find out which ones are higher than others.  I'm not a beer drinker so its a subject I haven't delved into very much.

Also, test, test, test.  This will let you know what you can tolerate.

Wines and hard alcohols are usually not a problem.  The carbs in those have been pretty much completely converted into alcohol. 

TX_Clint

Based on my personal observations. Alcoholic drinks are ok within limits. Alcohol inhibits glucogenesis and if consumed in excess can actually cause a low. I don't drink much beer but when I do it's usually mic ultra. I think the carb to alcohol ratio may make a difference. I wouldn't try a dark ale. My go to drinks are, Long Island Iced Tea, Scotch on the rocks, Cabernet Sauvignon, low carb cider spiked with bourbon (perfect for the season), and Irish Coffee for a dessert drink (coffee w/Baileys and bourbon).

LaRue

Whoo Boy Crizal, I'm sure your wife has really earned through blood sweat and tears the title you gave her.

I don't think she was sly at all asking you that. Seems like a pretty upfront question/statement from her.

Then again, I too am immune to pithy comments, "Hail fellow well met" comments meant to evoke feelings of "what a funny guy" from other people, and obfuscation.

My first thought when reading your post was "How much is he drinking?" I would guess the answer to your question ultimately hinges on your answer.

As far as "who's been feeding her this information", it didn't take me more than 1 google search to see that rice is used in a number of brands, and it's the 2nd most used supplemental ingredient (I think in the U.S.)

Personally, if I had to make the choice diabets-wise of drinking beer or smoking some legal weed, I'd go with the smoke. Although IRL I do neither.  I know you were joking, but if you fear you would smoke enough to be a "pot-heard", I'd be worried how much beer I was drinking.

It's kind of like, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Moonpie

Don't pot heads get the munchies, so not a good idea to crave junk food ;) In any case, you can test yourself after a beer or two & see how the numbers go, & show the wife the results. Wine generally has little to no (bad) impact on my bgs. Does she object to your drinking?

Swmbo was the way Rumplole referred to his wife, folks, don't take it in a bad way, its a funny endearment.

TX_Clint

Well friends I had chateaubriand with Madeira mushroom sauce with two servings of mixed veggies and two glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon. I followed that up with a low carb cheese cake and Irish coffee. Yum, yum, merry Christmas and a bg reading of 100 at 2 hrs..

Kit

Don't pot heads get the munchies, so not a good idea to crave junk food ;)

Actually it depends on the strain.

Its amazing what you can learn on the radio while commuting.  :)

Moonpie

Actually it depends on the strain.

Its amazing what you can learn on the radio while commuting.  :)

well I am not into pot, but thanks for the information.

JSBrooks

Hi folks, I am new here.

I have been type-2 for 7 years.  I am on an ultra-low carb diet of no more than 5 grams of carbs per meal.  I also have chronic joint and bone pain, and I have found that beer and red wine reduce my joint and bone pain dramatically.  I was also clean and sober for 27 years, before I discovered that beer and red wine reduce my joint and bone pain dramatically.  So, I drink 1 12oz can or bottle of either mich ultra, or Miller 64 every evening.  They have 2.6gm of carbs per 12oz serving, so I see no rise in my BG after 1-2 hours. 

I also have 5oz of the darkest red wine that I can afford each day.  That means I am drinking merlot out of a 5L bag.  It only has about 4-5gm of carbs per 5oz drink.  Again, I only drink 1 5oz drink /day, and I see no rise in my BG up to 2 hours later.

On the carbs in beers, ciders and wines:

Fermentation converts most of the carbs in the mash into alcohol, protein and CO2.  The protein is actually ATP, which is the energy of the cell, so it might just be that beers, ciders and wines might be super-foods, if we can drink them in moderation.  I have done so for 16 years.

On marijuana:

Recent research has shown that marijuana reduces blood sugar.  I started experimenting with one toke per day around the 1st of the year.  I found a dramatic reduction in stiffness and pain of arthritis, and I even found my blood sugar drops about 10% after smoking.

On the munchies:

If the post-smoke snack is ultra-low in carbs, like: nuts, or cheese, then I find no rise in my blood sugar following a therapeutic toke.

LaRue

Hmm.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, or arugumentative, but I'm wondering how someone who has been "clean and sober for 27 years", discovered all of a sudden that beer and red wine helped with joint pain, and are fine with now drinking daily because of that.

Just sayin' JSBrooks. I haven't drunk since July of 1987, so I'm trying to imagine how a can of beer or glass of wine would have even made it into my system. 

Hey, if you have discovered you're not really an alcoholic, or can control your drinking now, more power to ya.

Ozzy

On marijuana:

Recent research has shown that marijuana reduces blood sugar.  I started experimenting with one toke per day around the 1st of the year.  I found a dramatic reduction in stiffness and pain of arthritis, and I even found my blood sugar drops about 10% after smoking.

On the munchies:

If the post-smoke snack is ultra-low in carbs, like: nuts, or cheese, then I find no rise in my blood sugar following a therapeutic toke.

This has been my experience as well.

One thing to counteract any potential munchie issues is that I have my snack before I take any. That way my tummy is full. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.