Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holymoly

Diabetes is really starting to piss me off...

holymoly

It was bad enough being a healthy 31 year old and getting diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes... but I could handle that. Ok, make some lifestyle changes, monitor my BG closely and all will be well.... HA!

Then came the rare form of neuropathy brought on by rapidly normalizing my blood sugars... but I could handle that too. It's temporary and will get better, just tough it out and all will be well... HA!

Then came the worsening eye sight. I went from perfectly normal vision to severe non-proliferative retinopathy in the span of FOUR MONTHS!  Yeah, way to kick a man when he is down!

Then came the autonomic dysfunction. Constant tachycardia, elevated blood pressure, constipation, the shakes.... Now we are just piling on....

Granted, I probably went undiagnosed for at least 18 months... maybe longer, so shame on me for not going to the doctor sooner... I was stupid to chalk all my symptoms up to stress and "not being 19 anymore"

For someone who was only diagnosed about 5 months ago, I seemed to have crammed 20+ years of poor control into those 5 months.

Basically I'm just giving a big F-U to the Big D right now.

HM

holymoly

Oh yeah, and lets also not forget that Mr. Winky no longer wants to come out and play

GRRRRRRR......

meyery2k

Holy - I wish I could offer something more substantive than "I'm sorry to see you going through all of this..."

My experience has been nothing like yours and, I see now, that as far as diabetes is concerned, I seem to be very fortunate as far as effects and management.

While my experience has not been as tough, I do remember feeling poorly for some reason most every day as I worked to get this under control.  Challenges both physically and mentally.

The only advice I can offer is that you will find your center.  If you had gone on doing nothing, you would not be better off now.  It does seem to take the body some time to adjust to not having high glucose and some of the effects are downright unpleasant.  I remember thinking I was going blind because my vision went to he** as I was getting my BG down.  I felt better, in some ways, while feeling terrible as I tried to adapt to my new foods.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are.  There are people here that have gone through what you are now experiencing and they will offer more substantial counsel. 

For my part, I would like to offer that we care and will be good listeners if that is what is needed. ~ Mike

holymoly

Holy - I wish I could offer something more substantive than "I'm sorry to see you going through all of this..."

My experience has been nothing like yours and, I see now, that as far as diabetes is concerned, I seem to be very fortunate as far as effects and management.

While my experience has not been as tough, I do remember feeling poorly for some reason most every day as I worked to get this under control.  Challenges both physically and mentally.

The only advice I can offer is that you will find your center.  If you had gone on doing nothing, you would not be better off now.  It does seem to take the body some time to adjust to not having high glucose and some of the effects are downright unpleasant.  I remember thinking I was going blind because my vision went to he** as I was getting my BG down.  I felt better, in some ways, while feeling terrible as I tried to adapt to my new foods.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are.  There are people here that have gone through what you are now experiencing and they will offer more substantial counsel. 

For my part, I would like to offer that we care and will be good listeners if that is what is needed. ~ Mike

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.

Sometimes I just need to rant... or kick someone in the balls.

HM

GrammaBear

It is okay to rant because as Mike said we do care about you and what happens to you.  Many people, me included,  find comfort just in knowing that they aren't alone in fighting the 'D' battle.

Kit

Everyone needs a place to rant once in a while where others understand where you are coming from.  Rant away.  :)

mzteacher

Sorry OneEye that is not funny. We recently lost a member to this who also had diabetes. Several here have had to deal with those issues plus diabetes. Those are both awful to live with as is  diabetes. Many here champion through diabetes, complications and totally unrelated but devastating health diagnosis. I am sure you meant no harm but to me it is outside the realm of humor.

Remember the old saying be careful what you wish for!

ant hill

Yes this is not good at all as I can be like you as I am not happy too as I see the BG go to the Moon and beyond I also have had enough of being guilty of what I eat, jab insulin for that carb!! *Sigh*

lklacy56

I brought my BG level down from 400 to 100 in 8 days. My eyes went from crap to almost 20/20. Two weeks later they have returned to my pre diagnosed state. Hang in buddy and hopefully all will be well soon.

Larry

jwags

I am a Type 2 with fairly good controlled bgs. I have had 3 or 4 complications including Diabetic Retinopathy, Neuropathy, Macukar Edema and a rare complicstion that Type 1's get called Dibetic Mastopathy. At some point I just was ready to scream. I am always waiting for the next shoe or complication to drop. My Endo says about 25% of diabetics will get complications even with good control. I guess we just happen to be in that 20%.

adiantum

Thanks OneEye, that made me stop & realise   how things could be much worse.

While  I've never missed an opportunity to complain  about something, you have made me look on the bright side & be thankful.

OneEye

Thanks OneEye, that made me stop & realise   how things could be much worse. While  I've never missed an opportunity to complain  about something, you have made me look on the bright side & be thankful.

My own adage of what my father once told me when I complained to him about my feet hurting while we were out hunting once.

"I cried because I had no shoes...then I met a man that had no feet."

OneEye

Did he have any shoes you could use?  ;)

lol... too funny. No such thing as too much humor nowadays. Let's hope we all die laughing! :top:

adiantum

Kit..you are baaaad ..but I like you :lol:

damnit... that was funny!!!

Did he have any shoes you could use?  ;)

MariaGordon

I read your blog. But i cant understand that. But i think its really painful for you, so you can careful your health and check up your health daily. :)  :)

mzteacher

Holy moly I am sorry you are going through so much especially so young.

I am sure Kit there are probably many people on this board that have shoes available for you. Either their own no longer needed shoes or a relatives shoes. This is a Diabetes board and foot loss can be a major diabetes complication. 

​I find humor can lighten a mood and is important in my life. The line of humor being used in Holymoly's thread I feel is cruel and insensitive.  There are people on here suffering and living in fear every day. 

Kit

With no credit to myself, it was quote from a book.

I do have to say though, that while I think its a very good idea to keep perspective, just because another is suffering more doesn't invalidate your own.  It is emotionally healthy to stand back once in a while and scream "this bloody sucks".  And to be able to do it somewhere where others can relate or understand is very helpful.

m2hwb41

The one endo I have gone to told me that I should be glad that she wasn't telling me I had cancer.  I thought she was a real piece of work and had taken an instant dislike to her anyway, but I thought that was an incredibly stupid thing for a doctor to say---especially one that makes her living prescribing drugs that are possible carcinogens. 

My dad has been under treatment for diabetes and high blood pressure for over 30 years, only has one kidney because he had cancer.  From what I've read on the net, I'm guessing that the blood pressure meds he has been on probably caused it, although we will never know for sure. 

This is kind of my rant---I think that there should be some kind of universal law that diabetics can't get cancer or any other horrible illness because we already have our disease.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.