Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

provlima

What is more meaningful BG test results after 1 hr or 2 hrs after a meal???

provlima

I see various posts on this forum where BG tests are done one hour after a meal and others 2 hours after a meal

If you only want to test once post meal what reading would be more meaningful?  Thanks for your advice

Kit

It really depends on what you are looking for?  Are you trying to catch your highest after meal peak?  Then maybe 1 or 1.5 hours is the better spot to check.

I personally like to be back at base line at 2 hours, so that's when I test most often.

People might also check and 3 or 4 hours if they have eaten something they suspect will take a lot longer to spike them, like pizza or similar.

I normally stick to 2 hours myself, but may vary if I'm looking for some different information.

Diana_CT

When I was testing after meals my endo said to do it 2 hrs after I ate.

But basically whenever you test just keep testing at the same time so that when you are comparing reading they are all at the same time after you ate. Now I test once a day for a fasting BG reading and that is usually around 5 in the morning.

stevenal

I'm interested in the peak. The 2 hr. test on the downslope doesn't give me a clue where I started from or what effect the meal had on me. I tried testing at 15 min intervals once, and the 1 hr. mark after the 1st bite was the highest. I then round filed the 2 hr. recommendation along with most of the other ADA non-sense. 1 hr. it is.

NoraWI

Depends upon the information you seek. At 1 hour you catch the peak (highest point BG reaches before going back down). At 2 hours, you should be down to baseline, assuming you tested before your meal for your baseline. Your choice.

jims_forum

My read is as follows:

1. Usually most simple to crack carbs is at 2 hours out.

2. Complex carbs and hard to crack are 5 hours delay.

In fact the two peaks are like teeter totter - usually 2 hour stronger and 5 hour smaller but not always. On spaghetti and pizza the two hour will be a weak sister and the 5 hour strong peak. Thus while 2 hour peak is recommended ; food mix can shift that backwards making the 5 hour the strongest peak. I have watched this frequently on 24/7 CGMS..

Carol_42

When I was testing after meals my endo said to do it 2 hrs after I ate.

But basically whenever you test just keep testing at the same time so that when you are comparing reading they are all at the same time after you ate. Now I test once a day for a fasting BG reading and that is usually around 5 in the morning.

Hi Diana.  Are you saying you test circa the time you wake up in the morning and then again 2-hours after your first meal?  Or do you test 2-hours after your 2nd or 3rd meal?   As soon as my lancets & lancer arrive, I'll be testing every day and I looking for the proper way to test each day.  Thanks.

Carol 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.