Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jnv7594

No health insurance and worried

jnv7594

Hi, everyone. I stumbled into this forum looking for information, and I'm glad I did. I've learned a bit already by reading through the posts here.

Recently, I've noticed an increased need to use the restroom, which I thought as strange. It doesn't really feel like an infection, just the need to go more. I'm also very fatigued, especially in the evening after eating when most of the time I can't even keep my eyes open. I looked at the list of symptoms as my mother has T2 diabetes, and I have almost every symptom on the list.

My problem is I don't have insurance, and I can't afford to sign up. My insurance through work is so high it would take almost one full paycheck a month to pay for it, and I make too much for an affordable Obamacare plan. So I'm just stuck. I'm also a single parent, so I virtually have no money left over for doctor visits of any kind. Problem is I'm scared. Really scared. I'm quite certain I have T2 based on symptoms, family history, and my own history of yo-yoing weight. A couple years ago I lost 120 pounds, but have since gained about half back. That, unfortunately, has been the ongoing trend my whole life.

I guess my question to start off is how do I go about checking my levels in my own? Are readers from the store accurate? What if my readings come back high, as I suspect they will? I have no way to go to the doctor. What would you suggest as a next step for someone in my situation? I know the first suggestion is always see your doctor, but I really, truly have no way of affording it at the moment, let alone affoding any medicine if I were to be diagnosed. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. :(

adiantum

Welcome to the forum, if you change your lifestyle & log on here daily accepting the advice given , then you should be able to maintain normal blood glucose .

Its up to you.

You can get a BG meter & test strips  from walmart, you can even get a home A1c testing kit.

You will have to avoid all known high carb foods like bread, rice,pasta, sweets, soft drinks, fruit & juices.

A good meal would include  something like steak & mushrooms with leafy greens or salad , eggs, nuts, cheese.

Exercise is as vital, even if its just walking for an hour .

Many members here don't take meds & successfully control diabetes for many years with diet & exercise

dowling gram

Hi and welcome to the forum

If your numbers aren't too high you may be able to go it on your own but I would look into getting a doctor somehow. You may need one if you can't control your Blood glucose by diet alone. Buy yourself a glucometer. Walmart has one called Relion that is not too expensive and the strips are fairly cheap too. Utube has a video that shows you how to use it.

Diet plays the biggest part in controlling blood glucose. Cutting carbs and increasing good fat in your diet is the way to go. When the body has few carbs it burns fat for fuel. Some here control their BG with diet alone. The amount of carbs you eat depends on what your meter says because every diabetic is different. Use it before you eat to get a baseline and at 1 and 2 hours after eating. At 1 hour it should be at it's highest and it should be back close to your baseline at 2 hours. If it isn't then go over what carby thing you ate and cut down or eliminate it from your diet. First thing in the morning is a good time to take your fasting BG.

Anyway that's the basics. Do buy your meter and keep track of your readings and then report back here and we can go into more detail once we know what you are dealing with.

jnv7594

Thank you for the advice. I have been looking into making changes to my diet, and have been doing a lot of searching online on how best to do that. The problem I am having is it's all so confusing. I see conflicting information depending on the website. Thank you for the information on certain things to eat, such as more proteins and less sugary foods and carbs. Can anyone lay a simple menu from a typical day of yours? I work a very physical job, so I need to keep energy levels up throughout the day. I'm just curious what some of you eat every day on what seems to be a pretty limiting diet.

Thanks again.

jnv7594

Thank you dowling gram for the info. I do plan on getting a meter soon. So maybe that will be a better help in laying out a diet plan.

JohnSchroeder

Go to Walmart and buy a Relion Prime meter and 50 strips.  The strips cost $9, I don't think the meter is much different.  Actually checking your blood sugar is as simple as inserting a test strip into the meter, poking your finger and letting the test strip 'suck' up the blood off your finger.

That's what I use even though I HAVE insurance.  Cheaper than co-pays to pay out of pocket and you don't have to mess with Rx's.

Kit

Hi, welcome to the group.

You are in a tough situation.  First things first, go to Walmart, get yourself the ReliOn Prime meter (specifically the Prime, other ReliOn meters have more expensive strips), a thing of 100 strips, a lancing decide (I prefer the Delica) and a thing of lancets if the lancing device doesn't come with some.

Start testing your blood glucose when you get up in the morning, before meals, and 2 hours after your meals.  Even if its just before and after 1 meal a day and vary which meal it is every day.  Initially this is going to help you identify that you do indeed have a problem.  But its also will help give you the info you need to make diet\lifestyle adjustments to help control things.

As far as adjusting your diet, all carbohydrates affect our blood glucose, no matter how healthy they are.  Protein can have an affect, though much smaller, and fat has next to no affect at all.

My meals basically consist of meat or other low\no carb protein source with low carb vegetables and cooked in lots of fat.

For example:

Breakfast:  2 egg scramble with mushrooms, spinach, and a little bell pepper cooked in butter.  Sometimes might have a piece of bacon or some cheese in that scrable.  Total carb count is around 5g total and protein sits around 20g.

Lunch: 3oz kielbasa with a salad (full fat dressings) or mixes vegetables cooked in butter.  Vegetables vary, but often broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, peppers, onions, mushrooms,   usually whatever I can put together easily here at work.

Dinner: Left over roast with something like garlic green beans (green beans, garlic, onions, peppers, more garlic, and cooked in lard or bacon fat), fried cabbage and kale, etc.

Or maybe I will chop up some greens (spinach, kale, or mustard greens are my favorites) and cook in a mixture of butter and olive oil.  Add garlic, oregano, cracked black pepper, and onion powder.  Toss in 2 chopped roma tomatoes and continue cooking.  Add in more olive oil.  Continue to simmer intil its almost sauce like.  Then crack in a few eggs, and continue to simmer until the whites are done and the yolk is to your liking (I like them still soft but not too runny).  So good I just about licked the plate clean.

Or I might make eggs benedict using zucchini fritters (shredded zucchini, almond flour, eggs, parm cheese, etc) as a replacement for the english muffin.  Note:  Avoid using the powdered hollandaise sauce mix.  Its full of carbs.  Make it from scratch at home.  Its pretty easy to do.  I also use it as a replacement for steak sauce.

I make a creamed spinach by just sauteing spinach (can you tell I love spinach) in a good amount of butter, then take skillet off heat, add in a but of boursin cheese (black pepper is my favorite) and mix it around so the cheese melts.  Goes absolutely amazing with roast beef.

Or a smothered hamburger.  Basically a hamburger patty smothered with various cooked veggies (greens, onions, peppers, mushrooms, or anything else that hits your fancy) and cheese.  Served with a siracha mayo or whatever else you might like.

Anyway, some ideas of the type of things I eat.

Kit

Bah, sorry for the typos.  That's what I get for trying to keep my train of thought while troubleshooting registry permissions issues.  :)

BTW - that creamed spinach recipe also goes excellent on the smothered burger.  :)

jwags

Diabetes can become very serious if not treated. While some cases can be treated with diet and exercise, not all cases are this easy. I would encourage you to find a doctor to work with. Some doctors may work with you and give you a discount for cash, if you don't have insurance. As a single patent you know you need to take care of yourself.

adiantum

Crikey Kit, no wonder  you like a butt of bousin cheese.. its about $45 a pound

BoursinHerb & Garlic CheeseBoursin Herb & Garlic Cheese 80g

80g $89.38 per 1Kg

Kit

Lol, I meant a bit, not a butt  :)

For a serving of creamed spinach just for me, I use a tablespoon or two worth.  :)

meyery2k

A doctor should be consulted.  You really should be properly diagnosed since all types of diabetes present with the same symptoms yet treatment for the different types are markedly different.

There are some doctors in my community that will take patients on a "pay as they can" basis.  It might require some searching on your part but this might prove to get you the qualified help you might need.  There may be a neighborhood clinic that can at least get you diagnosed and not charge too great a fee.

Welcome and we will help you as much as we are able. ~ Mike

Kit

I know a friend of mine goers to a clinic which charges on a sliding scale based on income.  It was a life saver for her and her husband for about 5 years when either one of them (and for a time both) were out of work as he is epileptic.

miketurco

The real question comes down to whether you can get and keep your blood sugars down. In most cases, or at least an awful lot of them, you can do that on your own for much less that the cost of insurance. You can surely find a doctor to see you every three months for fifty or sixty bucks. Metformin is cheap, as is eating less food if you need to lose weight. As long as you "keep it real" with your blood sugars, chances are you'll do really well. 

Here's a tip: get orders for your labs from the doctor, then go online and price out the tests yourself. In most states you can order your own labwork. At privatemdlabs.com, and a lot of other places, you'll save big bucks on blood testing. Be sure to comparison shop. 

Walmart RelyOn strips and meters, and A1c test kits, are an inexpensive way to go in terms of regular testing.

Mike

Dave_KC

Everyone has given good advise.  Definitely look for low cost, possibly free clinics.  The wait may be inconvenient, but they can get you taken care of.  You do not have to go this without some medical help.  I use the ReliOn meter and strips, they're inexpensive and they work.  The lower the number the better, until it's too low (which is below 70).  Normally under 100 when fasting is ideal for a non-diabetic, and often 100 to 125 is considered pre-diabetic.  

If you're seeing numbers in the 200 and above range, please take it seriously, and diet always helps.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.