Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fraser

Exercise as a important part of our treatment.

Fraser

I have been off line for a while, had a fall and broke my wrist. It is all healing,

So I have noticed that there is not much discussion on the importance of exercise in controlling T2

I have also noticed that I am not really happy with slowing down.

My questions is how important is exercise to control your T2?

ant hill

Yes Exercise is very important to our disease!!!

For those who have not been active in a Physical way is to gradually get to speed. Take some Fast carbs with you if the need occurs.

meyery2k

Fraser - I have come to embrace exercise as a necessary tool.  When illness, injury, weather, or other circumstances stop me for more than a day or two I notice a slight rise in my fasting BG.  Small but noticeable.

Mentally, exercise has become a habit and, when I miss more than a day, I get irritable.

I change up from walking, running, swimming, and cycling to keep things interesting.

It also gives me a chance to get away from everyone and everything for 45 minutes to 2 hours+ depending on what I am doing.  No phone calls, no texts, no email.  Only music if I am running or walking.

Orlando

Same here, exactly what Mike said above. Remember the great advice of Dick Van Dyke, when asked "how does he keep moving", he answered "I just keep moving". I think he is now 91 years of age and can still dance.

There is no such thing as ‘age appropriate.' 
When people ask my secret to staying youthful at an age when getting up and down from your chair on your own is considered an accomplishment, you know what I tell them?
‘Keep moving.'"

- Dick Van Dyke

Orlando

I have been off line for a while, had a fall and broke my wrist. It is all healing,

So I have noticed that there is not much discussion on the importance of exercise in controlling T2

I have also noticed that I am not really happy with slowing down.

My questions is how important is exercise to control your T2?

Some good information here,

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/12/e147 

samuraiguy

Since the CDC lists 95% of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics as "inactive" (less than 150 minutes of exercise per week) and also those diagnosed with CVD (the number one killer of diabetics) I would say exercise is definitely important not only to BG control, but also countering the increase risks to mortality from just being diabetic. As far as BG control you can be your own experiment and lower your exercise right after your next A1C and see if there is a marked change to your following one.

ant hill

Same here, exactly what Mike said above. Remember the great advice of Dick Van Dyke, when asked "how does he keep moving", he answered "I just keep moving". I think he is now 91 years of age and can still dance.

There is no such thing as ‘age appropriate.' 

When people ask my secret to staying youthful at an age when getting up and down from your chair on your own is considered an accomplishment, you know what I tell them?

‘Keep moving.'"

- Dick Van Dyke

OMG Yes!!!

I see Toni Basil with dance and she is now 73 and still dancing Just have a look at Toni Basil's House you tube channel. Ballet I wish I kept it up!! :(

Java

ditto what others have said

back when i didn't exercise my morning fasting would be 95-110 or so ~ since i started exercising in august, i consistently get fasting numbers in the 80s, sometimes in the 70s

exercise DEF makes a difference

our bodies *WANT* to be active ~ so get out there and MOVE

:)

jwags

I guess I am the weird diabetic. exerxise often increases my bgs, not lowers them. It is very frustrating since I use exercise to stay fit and build a little muscle as I age. I did tons of exercise before diabetes, too and was dx'd with an HbA1 c of 10.9.

Fraser

Glad to hear the enthusiasm for exercise.

I retired so I could exercise more, (which includes falling and breaking things )

I plan to run a 5k in Golden Gate park Sunday, just at the same hour the big storm blows through San Franciso

With 40mph winds and 5 inches of rain. It will be interesting. I hope we don't have to dodge falling trees.

It is part of he Hot Chocolate Series. Great run for a T2 with marshmallow treat stops.

Last year there were 10,000 ? Runners I think. By some stoke of luck I finished 2nd in the 70+ division. (There only 4 of us)

My goal as always is just to finish.

Fraser

Well they weren't kidding

70 mile an hour wind gust at the time for the start, which by the way I decided conditions were too dangerous so I am at home. My understanding is that they did start the 5k and shortened the 15k which was to run on the ocean front road.

Hope everyone is save.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.