Diabetes forums
raffi

2017 Bicycling - Neither snow nor rain nor...

rwallen

JT,  Historically, I do ok between 25 and 30.  The problem is, and I haven't checked it out, is that my gear probably won't fit.  However, I wasn't talking temps. even that cold.  I haven't gotten out when it's been in the 70s. :(

Meyery2k, I forgot to say congrats!  You are really taking on cycling head on.  It's great that you're not afraid to try things!  Be able to work on your bike is definitely a plus!

meyery2k

@rwallen - Honestly, pride drives this.  I hate to take my bike in because I broke it lol...  

It amazes me how simple a mechanism a derailleur is in concept but it is actually a bit complicated when it comes to practical application.

meyery2k
On 11/27/2017 at 9:32 AM, rwallen said:

JT, here is the picture of the bike with panniers and such.  Currently, the racks are on it but not the bags.  I probably don't want the front rack but I might purchase the rear one if we buy the bike.  Also, the panniers aren't included.

All, I hope everyone is doing well.  I got out for a few rides since my last post.  I got the brakes redone on Betty and the handlebars rewrapped.  I bought new aerobars for Bea and installed them.  I put the old ones on Betty and went to adjust the brakes better but it appears that my rear wheel is out of true.  I'm not sure how that happened but I will be taking it in to have it re-trued.  I'm anxious to get back on Betty to give her a try.

miyata610.jpg

My friend has this same model and color.  She loves "Miya" and has actually cycled across the United States on her.  I shared this picture with her and she loved it.

rwallen

Hi all,

Well, I think I'll be returning the Miyata.  My ACA advisor advised me to do the Texas Hill Country tour.  The leader is a seasoned tour leader.  My advisor thought that it would be the best fit for me to further my goal of becoming a tour leader for ACA.  The tour isn't until October.  So, I have time to get my cycling mojo corrected.

Not much happening here.  I have been out a few times but nothing significant.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Rick

raffi

The plan to get 100 miles in this week did not pan out. I had to travel at the last minute, so I only just got back and managed a commute in this morning, though I won't be commuting back home tonight.

Oh well, I have managed a lot more than I thought I would this year and there is still time to try to match last years miles.

ORjt

Hi all,

JohnS - welcome! Given your location, you should have a ton of LBS's to check out. Stop in, say 'hi', and talk to them about what you're looking for. Bad vibe? Don't go back. As the others have said, you'll be a lot happier with a local shop that supports you (and that you support) that can get you set up for what you want to do.  You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good quality bike that'll suit your needs. Let us know how it goes - we're all here to help - and we like talking bikes!

Raffi -- yeah, freezing fog is no fun.

Meyery2k: Nice work - glad you got it all sorted out

Rick: how cold is 'cold'? Layers are your friend. I'm really fond of 'Champion' brand compression base layers (tops or running tights).  Not too expensive, well made (everything I've gotten from them has had flat-locked seams, so no chafing), sweat wicking ... etc.  And for really cold (below 40F), I have a Pearl-Izumi winter jacket. Expensive, but well worth it.  I've been out below freezing and have been comfortable.

For me: still in the middle of a dry(!) but cold spell - out for 42 miles, split between Saturday and Sunday. 36-40 degrees, but mercifully, no wind to speak of. (With this kind of weather, we usually get wind out of the Arctic - very biting).  Supposed to be back to rain by next weekend (of course!)

As of today, 1383 miles on the year (bleah!). One more ride will get me over 1400. But now, I'm really depressed. My recollection was that for 2016, I was a hair under 1500. Just checked my Garmin data and see 1663 as my total. (I must have had some rides that hadn't uploaded, right at the beginning of 2017).

Rick - as you said - thinking of 2018 now ...

Hang in there, stay safe!

(Hope this isn't a double post - looks like I never hit 'submit')

JT

ORjt

Rick,

Do you have a link to the Hill Country tour? My googling turned up a bunch of stuff that was mostly not bike related.

It's a beautiful area - when Dad retired, they re-located (from PDX) to Kingsland.  We visited a number of times (they've both passed long ago). Many fond memories of the area.

Looks like I *may* get enough dry time to rack up a few more miles this weekend ... we'll see ...

JT

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - thanks for the link. I've been to a *lot* of those places. Many fond memories.

I did manage to get out for 21 miles on Sunday - Saturday was pretty wet and gray. Almost, but not quite foggy.  Busted out the commuter, since it has fenders, and the roads were still dampish to a little wet.

I think we're supposed to get more rain, then a cold snap (highs in the low 30's). So, it'll be interesting.  Depending on how much rain, and whether it dries out before getting cold - will determine whether or not I get in much more riding. No issues with the cold, per se -- but if there's wet, first, that means ice ... and that's not good.

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

The last ride of the year was a metric century.  My total for the month was 520 miles and my yearly total 4670 miles.

My goal for 2018 is 5000 miles.

raffi

meyery2k, nice end of the year ride. That's something that I would love to be able to do, but my toes would not survive that long on the bike this time of year.

My end of year ride was a quick 14 mile ride this afternoon. It was sunny and the roads were a bit soft where there was not ice. All in all, not a bad last ride for the year.

This years mileage is both disappointing and encouraging. Disappointing because my December miles (due to traveling and getting sick) fell well short of what I had hoped for. Encouraging because last August I was convinced I would not be able to even get 4000 miles and yet I finished the year at 4206. I'd love to do 1000 more next year, and while I have done over 5000 miles in a year, it takes a lot of effort, luck and good weather.

Hope everyone else is doing well.