Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raffi

2017 Bicycling - Neither snow nor rain nor...

lgvincent

I've just gotten an insulin pump and would like to know how to safely store it during rides.  Thanks to the clip-in shoes, I do fall on occasion so want to protect the pump in case that happens.  I thought of keeping it in the saddle bag but the infusion sets I have right now are only 23 inches so I don't think I can do that until I get something longer.  The riding gear is pretty thin and I worry that the clip won't be able to clip onto the jersey pocket so I'm thinking that perhaps until I get the longer infusion sets that I could try clipping it with the pump inside the pocket or maybe just disconnecting it completely during the ride but I worry that long rides will mean high sugar since I'll not be receiving any insulin while it's off.  How do you people with pumps handle riding a bike?  I can't afford to drop this thing on the asphalt or fall and have it hit the pavement as a result. 

ORjt

Hi all,

Lowell -- sorry, no advice on this from me (I'm T2, so no pump)

Mike, nice ride. Always like the pics  :)

We finally had a decent break in the weather - about ~30 hours of "dry time", from mid-Saturday to late Sunday afternoon. Our for 21 miles each day - first on the 'cross bike, as the roads were still pretty wet. On Sunday, busted out the road bike.  Temps have been moderate (for this time of year) at around 50-ish, with not too much wind. Nice riding weather. Road's open around the wetlands, so I've been able to get in my 'loop' rather than a straight out-and-back.  Don't know why, but mentally, that's "better".

Stay safe out there!

--JT

ORjt

Hi all,

Mike - nice work!

We had an "interesting" weekend - big wind storm on Friday (very late in the season for this - our wind is usually in the fall). No power for about 10 hours. Saturday brought rain and hail; and then finally a dry spell lasting through Sunday evening. Got out for 21 miles on the 'cross bike on Sunday. I felt *really good* going out, then turned, and realized I'd had a tail wind ...

N+1 update: took the bike into the shop on Saturday, along with the bits and pieces I'd accumulated.  Shop manager was happy to price match some internet prices, and so we're in the queue to be built!  One minor hitch - he didn't have an FD either in shop or in the warehouse, but's expecting a shipment from Shimano this week.  I have other local options for the FD if that falls through (he mentioned that Shimano's not always great at meeting their delivery dates and content ...).  Anyhow, should have a rideable bike pretty soon.  Photos will accompany the unveiling, of course ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

rwallen

Hey All!

I meant to post the other day, and thought that I had, but I guess I didn't save it or I forgot to post it.  All I had to add was that we had been getting some of JT's rain and to whine about being off of the bike a few days.

I did get out eventually and went on an overnight this weekend.  It was meant to be a shakedown ride to test out my setup.  What I discovered was that I don't have enough places to take everything that I think i'll need for my ride back to Spfd. from the KS/CO border.  I think what I need to do is to take less stuff and hope for the best.  However, I don't know what I can eliminate for sure.  Saturday's ride was 103 miles and Sunday's was 60.  Both days were pretty windy.  My bivy proved to be ok but I forgot, or lost, my emergency blanket.  We camped outside of a hostel that we had access to but both me and my partner wanted to test out our bivys.  So, we slept outside.  I woke up at about 3am and decided to go inside, feeling like I had tested it enough.  :)  All in all, it was a good weekend.  I hope you all were able to get out.

post-35267-0-34858600-1491846252_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-06573100-1491846264_thumb.jpg

raffi

It was below freezing for this  morning's commute. Throughout the commute I was being cautious and looking for ice and while there was a bit of frost, the ride went safe enough until I turned into work. At that point, I hit a patch of actual ice and having changed out my studded tires, I had absolutely no traction on that patch. Fortunately, it was not a very long patch and I managed to hit pavement again before the bike went all the way over. Other than an elevated heart rate, no damage.

meyery2k

The bike shop where I purchased my bike has a service where they will perform a tune up for free after about 45 days.  The chain would come off the front when shifting to the small chain ring.  I could see it getting pushed too far by the derailleur but I would let the expert work on it.

After the tuning, works like a champ now.

Put about 70 miles total this weekend between Friday, Saturday, and today.  Riding around town and conditioning.  I have been trying to stay in the large chain ring at all times to condition my legs.  They are sore but I am certain I am going to benefit from more strength in my legs as I work on this.  I can climb small hills in the large chain ring that I could not when I first started riding this bike.

Couple of pics along the way...

post-58728-0-99114800-1492382311_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-76983500-1492382310_thumb.jpg

rwallen

Good morning all!

Mike, glad you're loving the bike.  I don't claim to be an expert by any means but me, like you, also tried to ride in the big ring as much as possible and mash up the hills.  You're definitely right about it building strength.  Then one time, a person mentioned to me about cadence and rpms.  The idea is to try to be consistent on your cadence, and even improving it if necessary, and then let your gears do the work.  I believe that this is necessary for the other piece of the puzzle, endurance.  I could see that if I was doing that, meaning trying to spin up hills and to try to keep a consistent cadence ALL of the time that I did lose a bit of my strength.  So, I think a mixture of the two is ideal.  I think the rationale behind the cadence is if you can spin consistently for an X amount of time then you know that you'll be able to do that when needed, and perhaps when you're too tired from trying to power up hills, etc.  It has been a good learning thing for me when it comes to touring because sometimes all you CAN do is spin up a hill when you have an extra 40lbs of gear on your bike, or a 6 mile plus climb..  Likewise, on endurance riding, if you're able to get into your groove and spin along for 100-150 miles, that's a good thing as well.  As always with all things, do what works best for you but don't overlook the spinning aspect.

BTW, I was able to work in my Rando ride for the month on Friday.  I had forgotten that I had Good Friday off.  It went well.  The route I chose had a few hills.  So, a few climbs at first and then at the end.  I got misplaced once and it cost me about 20 minutes.  I was following an old GPS file and cue sheet and the intersection that I was looking for had been removed a few years back.  :)  Still, it was an overcast day and nice temps which made for a great ride.  A female friend contacted me about riding Sat.  So, with her company I turned what probably would have been about a 25 mile ride into a 50.  Sunday ended up being a short ride because I got out a tad later than normal and started to get rained on.  I have not been riding the distances I think I need to prepare for my ride at the end of the month but if it's weather fit, I am still going to try to do it.  I have some cushion built in.  So, I don't have to the 100+ miles a day if I can't manage to do them. 

Anyway,  I hope everyone is doing well.

Rick

meyery2k

Rick - Thank you for the insight.  Yes, I see the benefit of spinning and cadence which has gotten me through many of the longer rides.  On the short rides, my thinking is that powering through on the large ring makes me work harder which should (at least in my mind) offer a good workout in the shorter time period.

I enjoy the tactical aspects of riding and can see where a certain mindset can be beneficial.

ORjt

Hi all,

Couple of quick updates:

Mike: just be mindful of your knees  ;) .... (my left has some relatively minor arthritis - physical therapist <an avid cyclist> advises against 'mashing', but is otherwise very much in favor of cycling)

Weather here has been more springlike - less constant rain, but lots of variability.  Got out for 21 miles on the 'cross bike on both Saturday and Sunday. Finally enough morning light that I can start commuting. Now, just need the weather to cooperate (and align with schedule).  I've re-mounted the rack, so I should resume referring to that bike as the commuter ...

N+1: phone call from the bike shop yesterday - build is complete. I'll run over at lunch today and pick it up.  Looks like "first ride" will be either Friday after work, or Saturday ... (and now, I guess I can refer to this one as simply 'N').  I'll post a photo or two.

Hang in there, stay safe, ride when you can.

JT

meyery2k

40 miles around Hilo today.  Conditioning ride so I mixed in some hills and my favorite pell-mell riding on the flats.

Climbed up to about 1700 feet today.  Getting much better on the hills as I improve my technique and I am getting physically stronger too.

I used the small chain ring for the parts that had long climbs but I only had to drop to granny gear for a few short hauls.  Definitely improving on hills and building confidence.  Now when I see these hills I can remind myself of previous tough climbs and that encourages me to go for it.

post-58728-0-84892700-1492728462_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-72688800-1492728465_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-69171800-1492728468_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-26345300-1492728473_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-37008000-1492728477_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-74151600-1492728480_thumb.jpg

raffi

Now that the weather is finally starting to warm up and dry out a bit, I'm getting a few more rides in. Still not as many as I'd like, but at least things are heading in the right direction. I'm also starting to get some of my strength back, yesterday's ride on the fatbike was the fastest time I'd done on that route using that bike. I felt good the entire time as well.

Keep up the riding!

ORjt

post-37232-0-28426200-1492968686_thumb.jpgpost-37232-0-21106200-1492968674_thumb.jpgHi all,

We got a break in the weather - Friday was gorgeous - shorts weather! Woohoo! Back to rain, now.  Took the 'new' bike out for a spin when I got home Friday - about 12 miles. No issues, bike fits well. I *definitely* need a different saddle though.  Attaching a photo below - taken at a school nearby.

Saturday brought our first TdC group ride of the year - a loop around Sauvie Island (it's a farming community that sits on an island at the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers).  Pouring rain till ~15 minutes before roll-out, and the rain held off till we got back (it's about 12.5 miles for the loop. Photo attached of that, as well.

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k

I attended a flat tire repair clinic yesterday.  Olivia, the instructor, made us deflate the rear tire, take the wheel off, remove the tire, pull out the tube, re-insert the tube, mount the tire, inflate, and reinstall.  It was a great class and I admit to having an unreasonable fear to taking things apart on my bike and not being able to put them back together.  Especially the rear wheel because there is all the mechanisms for shifting.  I know flats are inevitable and fix a flat might not always save the day so I made myself learn how to do this.

Olivia was a great instructor and I see now that this is a relatively simple thing.  Especially with disc brakes.

Olivia is a very interesting person.  She has ridden her bike across the US.  It took several months and she thoroughly enjoyed it.  She moved to Hawaii to ride and to be able to say she lived in Hawaii.  She had planned to live in Kona which is popular because of the Ironman but she found the Hilo side to be much more interesting geographically.

Olivia has a Miyata bike much like the one in this photo.  

post-58728-0-75916700-1492970361_thumb.jpg

It is a 1980's vintage steel frame.  Of course there are signs of wear but it is a very well cared for and beautiful bike.  Olivia claims otherwise but I did not see a spot of rust or corrosion on it.  Olivia named her bike Maya.

So now that I have become a little more intimately familiar with my bike as far as taking it apart and putting it back together along with all the riding, I am kicking around a name for my bike too.  At first I chided myself for being silly but ships, boats, and planes are often named and the people that own them tend to love them.  You certainly put enough sweat and money into these things that they might as well be children.

My bike gives me a sense of dependability and reliability.  It is always ready to go and it has taken me everywhere I have wanted to go and brought me back.  For this reason, I have decided to name her Fiare which is Basque for dependable.

I am curious, has anyone here named there bikes too?  Male or female and why the name if you don't mind sharing.  I don't know why but my bike gives off a "female" vibe.

ORjt

Mike,

Thanks  :)

Yes, mine are all named. If nothing else, it gives my wife and myself a way to talk about the bikes. Herewith, their names (in purchase order), and some background:

#1) (since sold to a friend) Trek 1.2: Bob.  His name came about when I was test-riding his replacement. We'd come up with a name for the replacement, and needed a name for this one. Me: "What shall we call it?" She: "I don't know - call him anything - call him 'Bob'".  The name stuck.  She's still a little disappointed that I even wanted to upgrade - she loved his color (a nice sapphire blue).

#2): Trek Madone. "Marley".  Well, with Bob, Marley seemed a natural.

#3) Felt 'cross (the commuter): Mr Phelps.  As in, "your mission, Jim ....". Purchased as the commuter (so he's got a job to do), doubles as the wet weather/winter bike.

#4) Eddy Merckx Ti: No name yet. I've been batting around "Oliver" as an obscure reference to 'Green Acres', but we haven't settled on that yet ...

JT

lgvincent

I've been getting some riding gear of late, some Scott gear to match my bike and other things just to increase the chances of being seen by drivers.

post-239-0-16408700-1492999390_thumb.jpg

post-239-0-19922200-1492999401_thumb.jpg

post-239-0-57450800-1492999419_thumb.jpg

post-239-0-25491500-1492999438_thumb.jpg

post-239-0-80008500-1492999457_thumb.jpg

post-239-0-20791500-1492999482_thumb.jpg

rwallen

Good morning all!

JT, nice bike!

Mike, my cross bike turned tourer is Betty as in Black Betty.  She's black I was going to name her Black Beauty but my daughter-in-law came up with Black Betty and I kinda liked it.  My road bike is Bea.  Someone, perhaps my DIL again, came up with Bee, I think Bumble Bee, because of the yellow on the bike but I wanted a variance.  So, I came up with Bea but I don't feel like she's an Aunt Bea though.  :)

I think I am leaving for the KS/CO border on Sun.  I put the trip back a few days because of the weather.  I was planning to start my trip on Friday but the weather is going to be cold and rainy.  I'm not taking enough gear to want to sleep on wet ground in mid-thirty temps and it may be a bit uncomfortable anyway.  Anyway, I plan to start on Monday.  My original plan was to do 100+ mile days and I would still like to stick to that but since my accident I have gained a few pounds and I haven't been getting in the miles that I wanted to.  So, I'll have to see how I do.

ORjt

Hi all,

Raffi - that was pretty funny;

Mike - yep

Lowell - good choices on the new kit ..

Rick, thanks.  Can you remind us how long your trip is?  I know what I've felt like after 1, 100 mile ride; I didn't want to get on a bike for a couple of days.  I think my best week has been just under 200 miles.

It may be difficult for you to post along the way, but please take photos and share with us when you're done, I'm really interested to hear about this.  Good luck - I hope it goes well for you!

Have I mentioned we've had a lot of rain this winter? We're currently at #11 for all time wet rain years (October to October). We're only about 4" off #1.  Pretty sure we'll go zooming right by that.  All of which is to say I haven't yet gotten in a commute this year.

We may have decent weather this weekend, and if so, Sunday brings the first 'event' ride of the year - a metric century out of Salem (about 50 miles south).  It's a nice, flat route, I'll do it if the weather holds.

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi
Have I mentioned we've had a lot of rain this winter? We're currently at #11 for all time wet rain years (October to October). We're only about 4" off #1.  Pretty sure we'll go zooming right by that.  All of which is to say I haven't yet gotten in a commute this year.

The weather has caused me to re-asses what constitutes commuting weather. Unfortunately, one particularly wet commute home finished off my old and dying GPS.  Turns out the rubber waterproofing has quite a few holes.

It was raining when I got up this morning, but the weather guessers are saying the afternoon should be fine. So after a quick check of radar, I commuted in on wet roads, but no significant rain and hope the afternoon is at least that nice.