Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raffi

2017 Bicycling - Neither snow nor rain nor...

macksvicky

Mike - that was weird but glad it didn't last long. I'm with you, I would rather take a beating than heaving and throwing up.  

Kit

Glad you're feeling better Mike.

I'm personally of the heave and get it over with camp. I think it comes from all of the years I was dealing with pancreatitis. The pain wouldn't stop if my stomach wasn't empty.

meyery2k

Kit - I hear you too.  Sometimes it is easier to just give in.  I sure don't like to though.

The doctor mentioned that the intestines (hence the nausea) seem to be the first thing to react to electrolyte imbalance which he thought was interesting.

meyery2k

We did the waterfall tour of Hilo.  I participated in my first group ride.  It was very educational to ride with experienced riders.  The concept of spinning was really brought home to me as I watched the leader, Olivia, work up a 900' climb in 4 miles.  I emulated her technique and was amazed at how easy it was compared to trying to get the most speed possible.  The big surprise was that it did not take significantly longer to go the distance.

Narrative and photos (until I dunked my phone) are in Daily Chat...

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/69651-daily-chat/?p=997627

ORjt

Mike,

Nice! (well, except for the phone dunking thing). And yes, spinning is probably more energy efficient (and easier on your knees ... )

Despite beautiful weather, no riding for me this weekend; instead, it was work, and then yardwork (so hey, at least I got in some exercise :) 

Stay safe out there!

JT

Debo

Kit, do you still have bouts of pancreas pain? I can't imagine going through this for 5 yrs! Did you ever find out what was causing it? They took my gallbladder out said that was the cause but it keeps coming back, This last attack was as bad as the first last year before the surgery. The pain is so distracting sometimes and constant, afraid the barfing from both ends will start again. Think my pancreas is dying.  

Kit

Kit, do you still have bouts of pancreas pain? I can't imagine going through this for 5 yrs! Did you ever find out what was causing it? They took my gallbladder out said that was the cause but it keeps coming back, This last attack was as bad as the first last year before the surgery. The pain is so distracting sometimes and constant, afraid the barfing from both ends will start again. Think my pancreas is dying.

It was gall stones. They would get stuck and block the duct from the pancreas. One of its jobs is to produce digestive enzymes. They are blocked from entering the digestive system so they just went to work on the pancreas itself. It would come on as a stone was blocking and then ease off as it moved on.

Not all gall stones just live on the gall bladder. They can exit and cause more issues as in my case. In fact there were something like 17 stones in the ducts outside the gall bladder when mine was removed. This is important to know because they don't always go in and remove those other stones from the ducts when they remove the gall bladder. And they can continue to grow long after the gall bladder has been removed. My mother had to have emergency surgery for that very reason a couple years ago now. Her gall bladder had been removed all over 10 years previously.

rwallen

Good morning all!

Just checking in.  Hope everyone has been able to get out.  I have for the most part.  However, I have a work project that has been keeping me busy and off the bike a couple of times.  While it is not completed, it is at a point that it is not a high priority now.

I just wanted to touch base on the low carb thing.  Please understand, I don't know anything but initially, I maintained an extremely low carb diet.  It worked, and works, for me.  I just need to get back to it and do a better job than I have been.  The effect now is not really with my diabetes as much as it is with my weight.  Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that I believe that I was actually unknowingly following somewhat of a ketogenic diet.  WIth that said, I wasn't paying attention to, or trying to maintain, a high fat intake but I was eating a lot of protein.  Anyway, I watched a video with Juliana Buhring, an ultra-endurance racer, who is trying to do the keto diet.  There were a couple of similarities between her and I that I found interesting.  One is the lack of need for as much hydration.  Believe me, I have been dehydrated but I have had a lot of people marvel at the fact that I don't drink as much as I do.  Also, was the lack of need for as much "fuel" for long rides.  While I do eat, and maybe more than I need to, I have never felt like I had to or had any occasions where I bonked.  Just an observation.

Now about cycling.  I got in my 100k, well actually, 123k Rando ride for the month on Sunday.  My legs were saying, "hey, we experienced this a few weeks back and we didn't like it then.  So, we're going to complain!"  I am ready to drop a few of these unwanted pounds and experience the effect.  I don't want to make excuses for my longer rides or the one across most of KS but right before my wreck I remember feeling like a powerhouse.  Now, I just feel old. :)  My wife and I are off next week and plan to do the Katy.  I think I mentioned that I would be taking my touring bike and her, her road bike.  The weather may interfere with our plans but we will be doing something somewhere.

Another thing, I am ahead of missed days for the year.  However, I am also ahead on mileage.  I wonder how that affects anything.  I know a few years I had only missed a couple of weeks at this point.  RIght now, I have missed 46 days this year.  So, I guess that equates to the fact that when I get out to ride, I'm riding further but I wonder how if affects endurance, blood sugar, cycling fitness, etc.  Oh well, just one of the places that my mind goes.

Take care everyone and safe riding!!

raffi

Rick, the low carb keto thing seems to be great for the long distance riding. While I'm probably no longer in a keto diet (I like fruit to much to stay keto :) ) The low carb still keeps me from needing to fuel my rides the way others do. My friend who I tour with follows a more normal diet, and it is interesting to me to see how much he has to eat (or drink) to keep fueled. By drink, I mean sugary drinks to bump his energy.

As far as the hydration goes, I've never done any serious riding when I was not on this diet, so I can't compare to that, but I know that my friend needed to learn how to properly hydrate on our John Wayne Trail tour. Our first full day out in tripple digits just about did him in. It wasn't until he was laying down int he shade of a grain silo unable to go on that I started asking questions and found out that he took in less than half of what I took in for the day and I thought I had not done a good enough job myself. Fortunately, he recovered by the next morning and I was able to keep him drinking enough the next day. It never occurred to me he might actually need even more than that, though looking back, having him drink as much as I did, while improving things for him, did not keep him from hurting pretty bad in the heat.

The weather has been cooperating for more commutes, so things are looking up.

rwallen

Hi al!

Next adventure about to start.  My wife and I will be driving up to Clinton on Saturday to start on the Katy Trail.  I'll be taking the touring bike this time.  She'll be fully loaded while my wife won't be carrying anything.  It should be a fun ride.  We'll be bringing Amtrak back.  It will be our first time using a train.  This will be my 4th time riding the complete trail, 2 times supported and this will be my 2nd time unsupported.  We will be camping and staying in hotels or B and Bs.  Maybe with my wife with me, I'll get some better pictures to share. :)

Take care!

Rick

meyery2k

I did my first Century today.  The same ride where flats defeated me.  The tire inserts recommended by my LBS made a difference.  I try to stay out of the debris but there is so much broken glass on our roads that it is impossible.

Photos and narrative in Daily Chat.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/69651-daily-chat/?p=998191

post-58728-0-54005800-1496125476_thumb.png

ORjt

Hi all,

Mike - nice work! Love the photos

Rick, do keep us posted.

For me: we've had a nice run of ~2 rainless weeks (and I think we've all needed the sunshine); so of course, it's drizzling today. I got in two commutes last week, and got out for a really nice 25 mile loop on Sunday (and saw surprisingly few riders out and about).

Not sure if I'll get in any commutes this week, my schedule (and the weather) are both a bit sketchy at this point. This coming Saturday's one of my favorite rides of the year, a nice metric Century with a fair amount of hill climbing. It's a challenging, but fun route.

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

Since I took the week off, I kind of expected to do more bike riding, but gathering firewood took precedence. I did get a couple of good rides in and this morning's ride was the fastest I ever did that route (beat my old best time by almost a minute).

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, that didn't work out as planned. I expected (for my ride on Saturday) heavy overcast, moderate temps, and clearing by late morning.

Instead I got mist, drizzle, rain.  (Mike: Cool, cool, rain ....  :D )

We (my riding buddy and I) missed a turn (or rather, took a turn we shouldn't have), for a 2 or 3 mile detour.

I apparently angered some deity or another, who decided to smite my rear tire with 4, (yes, you read that right, *4* ) flats in the space of a few miles. (A very nearly new Conti GatorSkin).  I finally gave up and called SAG, about 25 miles into the planned 65 mile ride.  My riding buddy wasn't prepared for the cold/wet + hills, and gave up at the final rest-stop (at about mile 50), and got himself a ride back ...

Hope everyone's weekend was better than that!

Stay safe out there,

JT

meyery2k

ORjt - Sorry that didn't work out.  I have only had 1 "bad" ride to date and I still loved it.  The bad ride merely emphasized all the good rides I have had.

I tore down my drive train, cleaned it thoroughly, and put it back together.  Surprisingly, it all works!

I did a little off-roading on my century and I have found the lava dust really gets caked into the drive train.  When mixed with a little rain, you get this thick and grimy coating on the chain ,rings, and cassette.  It comes off pretty easily with a brush but it is sure noisy when riding like that.  I enjoyed removing the rear wheel, removing the chain off the chain ring, and spending time just cleaning everything.  I also made sure all the bolts were tight.  Put everything back together and fresh lube on the chain.

Did a short 10 mile test ride and a very quiet ride once again.

lgvincent

Hi all,

Well, that didn't work out as planned. I expected (for my ride on Saturday) heavy overcast, moderate temps, and clearing by late morning.

Instead I got mist, drizzle, rain.  (Mike: Cool, cool, rain ....  :D )

We (my riding buddy and I) missed a turn (or rather, took a turn we shouldn't have), for a 2 or 3 mile detour.

I apparently angered some deity or another, who decided to smite my rear tire with 4, (yes, you read that right, *4* ) flats in the space of a few miles. (A very nearly new Conti GatorSkin).  I finally gave up and called SAG, about 25 miles into the planned 65 mile ride.  My riding buddy wasn't prepared for the cold/wet + hills, and gave up at the final rest-stop (at about mile 50), and got himself a ride back ...

Hope everyone's weekend was better than that!

Stay safe out there,

JT

Darn!  I only have room for one inner tube and two compressed air canisters in my saddle bag.  Of course, I've been carrying a soft drink in there in case of insulin shock and am now trying to find a way to safely carry my insulin pump in it since I worry about crushing it should I fall.

rwallen

Hi all,

So, I'm a little slow at getting an upate of our trip posted.  Our trip went well.  We started a day late because of a stormy day and evening.  Also, I noticed that our water heater was leaking and ended up having to replace it.  So, we started at what would have been our second day starting point.  This was on Sunday.  On Tuesday, as we were riding into Jefferson City, Missouri's Capital, I had a sidewall "blowout".  It was a slow leak and it happened about a mile from our hotel.  So, I was able to ride to the hotel.  Fortunately, there was a bike shop about a block and a half away.  We bought a new tire the next day and was able to meet our friend and his daughter at the Amtrak Station.  They rode with us until St. Charles.  The end was officially still about 12 1/2 miles away but it was closed due to the trail being washed out.  Kirk and his daughter left after lunch to go catch a ride.  Patti and I spent the night at a B and B.  The next day we rode back to a town and caught Amtrak.  It took us back to our starting point.  Originally, we would have spent the night and then we would have rode back to the start of the trail, in Clinton.  So, our trip was minus the first and last day, and we didn't start at the beginning of the Katy nor did we ride to the end.  Still, our trip was 6 days and 250 miles.  We did a combination of camping, b and b's, and one hotel.  I carried all of the gear but I don't know how much it weighed.

Pictures are of the Rocheport trailhead and both ends of the tunnel at Rocheport.  One is Patti eating breakfast at a Casey's after camping the previous night.  One is of one of our b and b's called, Joey's Birdhouse.  We stayed at the one on the left where Patti's bike is.  With the exception of the picture of our bikes on the Amtrak train the rest are of either Patti, Kirk, Mazzie, or me.  The one with all four of us is at the end in St. Charles by one of the two cabooses there.

With the exception of yesterday, I have been riding since our trip.  I was so good to get back on the road bike and not to be carrying any extra weight. :)

Take care all!

post-35267-0-11520500-1496797106_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-32694100-1496797131_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-78930500-1496797147_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-00083500-1496797162_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-14650200-1496797201_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-46177600-1496797220_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-60833600-1496797245_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-15959300-1496797276_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-96636000-1496797304_thumb.jpg

post-35267-0-88024300-1496797317_thumb.jpg

raffi

Rick, sounds like it was a good time. Nice pics.

There are times when it seems the world is out to get out. Other times its just the large ruminants that have it in for you...

This morning, a bit over a mile from home in the first place I can start to pick up speed, I saw a dark shape off to the side heading for the road. I've gotten pretty good at determining what the deer are up to, so I  slowed down and the deer crossed ahead of me but not so close as to be a big deal. After that, I started thinking I hadn't seen any moose recently. As I though about this I was thinking I'm going to have to watch for moose especially about a mile ahead where they have been known to hang out on occasion.

Sure enough, as I'm heading down one of my steepest gravel hills with a steep drop off to the right, a moose appeared in the road ahead of me. I do mean appeared. That drop off was enough to conceal the moose until it hopped into the road. I grabbed my brakes, but there is only so much you can do in gravel and as my wheels were starting to break free I was sure I was going to hit the moose hard. Fortunately, it kept moving just enough to open a narrow space between it and the drop off and I managed to go around.

That's not my preferred way to raise my heart rate...

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - nice photos - thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a good trip.

Raffi - yeah, not the way I'd prefer to raise my HR either. Glad the critters cooperated with you. Biggest I've had to worry about around here are squirrels and chipmunks.

No commutes this week - schedule conflicts coupled with weather. Hopefully, can get out over the weekend.

(I unmounted the rear tire, and found the small hole where the glass shard had been, and patched the inside of the tire. Hopefully, that ends my "flat" experiences for quite a while ...)

Stay safe out there!

JT

rwallen

Hi all!

Not much to report...just checking in, really.  I was looking at my stats earlier.  I am not a big person on statistics but my ex-boss was.  I can see how they can be a useful tool.  For me, I guess they mark progress or provide motivation.  RIght now, I am ahead on mileage compared to previous years but I think I have to give credit to May.  It was an exceptional month and that's with me missing 7 days of riding.  I don't know what my future looks like in regard to riding.  I mentioned to my wife that after I did my Kansas ride and after we did the Katy that I would focus more on my honey-do list.  With that said, I will still need to ride and I hate to not take advantage of what could be a great year.  However, it's interesting to note that if I maintain the mileage that I hope to, my days missed will likely be more than previous years.  I guess that tells me that when I have been getting out that I have been riding further.  My monthly rando rides don't hurt either I guess.

Anyway, I hope everyone has been getting out.  Our weather has started to get a bit warm but we have been rain free for about a week and a half to two weeks.

Take care!

Rick

raffi

This morning's commute was my first bike ride in over a week. Somehow, my wife and I got exposed to the flu and after 3 days of 100+ fever spent over a week with barely enough energy to walk from the bed to the bathroom. It's nice to finally be on the other end of that one. Needless to say, I did not ride hard this morning. This was more of a make sure I can get there sort of commute morning.