Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raffi

2017 Bicycling - Neither snow nor rain nor...

ORjt

Hi all,

Raffi - sorry about the flu, that's miserable.

I finally got out for a ride on Sunday - 21 miles on the Ti bike. No flats!  Weather is supposed to stay nice for a while, should be able to commute tomorrow, and perhaps Friday.

Stay safe out there!

JT

ORjt

Hi all,

I kind of hate to follow up my own post, but here goes:

Got in my commute on Tuesday; today didn't work out.

We're in the first leg of a heat wave - 92 today, 98 Saturday, and perhaps 100 on Sunday. Yikes - that's hot for here (Portland, OR)

We've got a 20 mile group ride planned for tomorrow - we've moved our start time to 830 (from 1000) to beat the heat, a nice loop along the Columbia river, over to Vancouver, and then back again. I'l see if I can post a photo or two ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

ORjt

Well, here I am, following my own post again.

Hope everyone's ok, and out getting in miles.

Our group ride was great, the 830am start got us back in before it got too hot - we were still near 90 at the end, but were riding right along the Columbia river, so there was a bit of cooling from that.

Couple of photos: (one of these days, I'll figure out how to do this properly; hopefully, the descriptions will make sense, even if they don't line up with the photos ..)

This one is crossing from Vancouver to Portland - Glenn Jackson (I-205) bridge. It's about 2 miles long.  Kind of freaky with traffic passing on either side at well north of 55mph.  Mt Hood is visible in the distance

This part of the ride is along an MUP with the Columbia River on one side - above the berm is a heavily travelled 2 lane road; however, since the road is above us, and on the other side of the berm, there's little traffic noise.   Planes flying overhead are a lot more intrusive.  This is quite near (and under the flight path for) PDX (the airport, proper, not shorthand for "somewhere in the vicinity of Portland, Oregon")

post-37232-0-75442700-1498681101_thumb.jpg

last - flock of Canada Geese floating in the river.

post-37232-0-16267200-1498681124_thumb.jpg

post-37232-0-06453200-1498681171_thumb.jpg

raffi

ORjt, looks like nice riding weather and paths.

Now that the flu is behind me, I have managed to get in a few commutes and a pleasure ride last weekend. The total miles for June ended up disappointing, but that's how it goes. The last full week of July is when we are scheduled for a Kettle Valley Trail trip. Neither my friend or I have gotten the miles we want, so my guess is this trip is going to push us more than it should.

rwallen

Hi all!

I hope everyone had a great 4th!

JT, don't worry about following after your post with another one.  Some posts are better than no posts.  I often lurk but don't always post.  I don't really have much to add but thought I'd stop by and say, hey!

raffi, it's good that you're feeling better.

My wife and I celebrated our 38th on Friday.  So, we went to Branson overnight and saw a show the next day.  It's a short drive for us and we normally go during the off season.  While it wasn't too bad I know why we usually only visit during the off season. :)  I didn't ride Saturday because we were in Branson but I have been getting out.  I took off the Wednesday before and got my 100k Rando ride in for June.  My wife and I both had a 4 day weekend and the weather cooperated wonderfully.  I got a few things done around the house.  Yesterday, I did get rained on while riding and cut my ride short.  However, the weather turned off better and actually, I could have got the bike back out and rode some more but I decided to buy a kayak.  So, I took it out for a few hours.  It was a relaxing paddle and a nice way to end the 4 days off.

BTW, I bought a cheap kayak.  I don't want kayaking to interfere with my riding!  :)

Have a great day!

Rick

ORjt

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a great 4th! (and a safe one!)

Raffi, glad you're feeling better.

Rick - congrats on your 38th! (We celebrate #34 next month ...).  I've never been much of an 'on the water' kind of person, but kayaking certainly will add some upper body workouts for you :)    .   The county just added a 'paddle launch' on the river, about 2 miles from us. I've been meaning to check it out, just to see what they've done ... looks like a little mini rest area, from what I can see (it's a bit off the road).

I, too, had 4 days off (woot!); got in some much needed yard work, and we bbq'd Monday night.

Out for 2 rides - a nice long ~32 miles on the Ti bike on Sunday, followed by 22 on the carbon bike, Monday. No flats, yay!  There are definitely differences in 'personality' between the two bikes. I'm sure it's some combination of the difference in materials, and in the geometry of the bikes.  They are not wildly different, but they are different ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

Nice weather, some time off from work and my tour coming up very soon does have me out a bit trying to time in the saddle. It's clear I will not be as ready for my tour as I want, but I think I will be ready enough.

I did have another little setback when I got a diagnosis for some swallowing issues I've been having. The doctor gave me something to bind the excess bile in my system. What he did not tell me was it would bind ALL the bile in my system. Being on a high fat ketogenic diet, that was a very bad idea. After a few days of that stuff, I had no blood sugar control and no energy. Walking up a flight of steps would take it out of me. Now I need to tell the doctor that I'm no longer taking the stuff and that we need another solution.

raffi

Still lots of critters out and about in the mornings. I had to avoid a small canine sort of thing that was either a fat fox or a young coyote cub. It was the color of a coyote, but had a nose and tail that looked more more like a fox. It also was quite chubby and not very coordinated, so it acted more like a cub. There were also lots of deer out and about with a couple bucks with their antlers covered in velvet.

All in all, living and commuting in this place is something that I'm trying hard not to take for granted. It is beautiful.

rwallen

Hi all!

raffi, be careful!  We don't want to hear of you hitting one of the "critters".

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  I was happy with mine.  I got in some riding, a morning of kayaking, and some live, old time, country music.  We also got the front of our house power washed.  The front is the only place where there's any vinyl and it faces north.  The rest is brick and probably needs some sort of attention too but...  Luckily the power washer didn't bother my shoulder too much but I can only kayak so long before I start to feel it.  I figured I would see some animals while kayaking our local river and lake but not really.  However, while riding one of our greenway trails yesterday, I say a deer, a groundhog, and a hawk, which was on the ground and didn't move much as I went by.  I figured it had probably caught something and was enjoying dinner.  That's one of the things I love about our greenspaces and trails, a person can see about as much wildlife as a person would that lives out in the country.

In regard to riding, I'm still getting out there.  I'm not doing anything exciting other than trying to get miles in each day.

Until later,

Rick

ORjt

Hi all,

Good weekend here, too - great weather (low 80's, light breeze).  Out for 27 miles on Saturday, scores and scores (literally!) of other riders out ...

Despite being rural (though not as much as Raffi!), I don't see a lot of wildlife. (I hear a lot of coyotes at night, and we see them, or foxes rarely). I do see a lot of birds (song birds, raptors (various hawks), and waterfowl, ducks, geese, heron, egrets ...).  Like Raffi, I, too, try to not take this for granted - it's one of the joys of being out on the bike.  Our area is more farmland - maybe that has something to do with it? I do love the flowers/vegetation, too ..

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

It was interesting weather for yesterday's metric century. We had thunder showers in the morning and ended waiting until one of those (along with the accompanying wind) passed by before I started. I managed to avoid all the storm cells and by the time I was ending the ride, we were in the high 90s (with far more humidity than we normally get).

That ride had me finish up around 205 miles for the week. It went smoothly enough that my confidence for the upcoming tour (starting next Saturday) is improved over what it was a week ago.

ORjt

Hi all,

Raffi - good work!

Out for 36 miles on Saturday with our TdC group. Yet another *$#$%@!@!! flat on the Merckx' rear wheel. Pinhole in the tube, tire side.  Thankfully, found it Friday night in the basement (went downstairs to get stuff ready) rather that either early Sat AM, or worse, while out riding. I've decided that tire, though nearly new, is well and truly cursed.  Stopped by the bike shop on the way back from the ride, and picked up a new tire. ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

Today, we are leaving for Canada to start our tour tomorrow morning. I managed to get another 100 miles of commuting in the first three days of the week and took yesterday (and today while driving) off. I'm not only as ready as I'm going to get (by definition :) ) but maybe even ready enough for the trip to be fun. Nothing like an impending tour to motivate you to get in the miles.

The weather is looking cooler than it has been up there, but not cold. If the weather guessers are right, this should be our first tour without seeing triple digits. If all goes as planned (that might be a pretty big if), I should be well of 800 miles for the month by the time I get back. That will be the most miles I've ever done in a month.

ORjt

Hi all,

Raffi - have a great time - post some pics when you get back :)

Got in one commute this week. And yeah, new tire on the Merckx. It's still holding air, hopefully a good sign.

I'll be 'off grid' for a while, unlikely to post for the next month or so. No issues, just some (much) needed down-time. I'll post an update once back 'on-grid' ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

rwallen

Good morning all,

I don't have much to add.  I  have been getting out some but I have also missed more than normal.  Some has been partly due to the heat, which has changed now, and some has been due to the stress of work.  Some has also been due to a lack of motivation.  I'm just in a funk of some sort.

With that said, I'm doing ok on miles but I have now fallen behind 2013's mileage.  I'm not really sure that I care. :)  Anyhow, I will get back into the game when I figure out what's going on with me.

On a side note, I did my July Rando ride a week ago this past Saturday.  Everyone wanted to get out early to avoid the heat.  On that day, I think it got up to 97 or higher!  It was a good idea.  I maintained a great pace, mostly on the way out.  I kinda burned myself out a bit but I managed to do ok on the way back but with tired legs and the heat, I was ready to be done.  The Garmin said that I averaged 15.3 mph for the 78+ miles.  So, I was ok with that.

My wife and I got the tandem out this past weekend.  It was at her suggestion and it was nice to get out together but we both decided that we'd prefer to be on our own bikes or that we need to get a road tandem.

Anyway, that's about all I got.

I hope everyone else has been getting out.

Rick

raffi

The tour went very well, 400 miles of spectacular scenery and variable quality trail. As usual, we did not have a very good grasp of which days would be hard and which would be easier, but they were all doable and we not have any mishaps. We only had to detour around a small chuck of our planned route do the the mopping up of a fire in the area.

While I've finished a rough draft of a trip write up, it's been too busy this last week to do any polishing of it. We typically were at it for six or sever hours a day with some shorter and at least one in the 9 hour range. The bikes (with gear) were over 100lbs (though less than what we took when we did the John Wayne Trail). We pulled up to the scale in a truck weigh station and the two of us together came out at 260 kg.

This was finally a good month for miles, in fact, I did my all time highest mileage at 870. That's nowhere near enough to make of for the slow start I got this year, but it should help bring up the yearly miles to something I will be satisfied with.

I've attached a few pictures, I took a lot more, but I don't want to overload the server.

turquoise.jpg

tunnels.jpg

trestles.jpg

washout.jpg

kvr0.jpg

lgvincent

Darn!  Nothing like that for me.  About all I've done is ridden the Chief Ladiga trail from Anniston to the Georgia line and the Silver Comet trail from there to Cedartown, GA.  Hoping to do it again when it gets cooler, it's awfully humid here during the summer. 

I've added a few more cycling kits and a few other things, hoping that maybe a driver will see me before they run me down. The Tinkoff set is so bright I got two of them but some of the others will hopefully help keep me from run down for a little longer.

set 07 6-12-16 2015.jpg

set 08 6-12-16 y2015.jpg

set 09 rBVaHFbiNCOAbSOmAAC2AgzY7a0085.jpg

set 10 y2013.jpg

set 11 y2015.jpg

meyery2k

I found out today that it is already time for a new chain.  1500+ miles on this bike.  I was cleaning up the drive train for the LBS and I think I was a little too liberal with the degreaser.  Noisy when freewheeling so I think I accidentally degreased the inner workings of the hub lol.  Oh well, I guess a little extra labor and money for the bike tech.  Next time I will apply the degreaser to the cleaning tool rather than spray it onto the cassette.  We learn from mistakes.

raffi

lgvincent, the only thing brighter than those jerseys is when I change to a tank top and let my whiter than white shoulders show. My concern when I do that has more to do with blinding drivers than sunburn. :)

meyery2k, 1500 miles is about all I get out of any chain I use. In bad conditions (winter ice/snow etc.) maybe less. I doubt the degreaser did much to you.

With cooler weather and some (long overdue) decent maintenance on one of the roads I  commute on, this turned out to be a very nice week for comming. I got 3.5 commutes in and at better speeds than I've been doing in a while.

meyery2k

Raffi - Sadly I was quite zealous with the degreaser on more than one occasion.  When the LBS tech had her on the stand he found the degreaser got into the rear hub.  The volcanic cinder that comprises the dirt here contaminated the hub and goodbye bearings.  So new bearings and a repack.  Apparently the degreaser also destroyed the pads on my disc brakes so a $38 chain replacement turned into a $92 job.  That is OK.  It is how we learn.  I have been demoted to only using Dawn and water when cleaning the cogs and chainrings.  The degreaser only goes on the chain.  When I get the tools to pull the cog, then I can use all the degreaser on the cassette that I want to.

Apparently I also overlube my chain.  Again, failure is the greatest teacher and now I know.

On my next go, I am going to try replacing the chain on my own.  I have a Park Tools book and I think I can do it.  The bike tech agrees.  I am also going to get the tools to perform a bottom bracket cleaning and overhaul.  I like to tinker and do the small jobs.  Yes, I will make mistakes and break things but the LBS tech will rescue me.  I always bring him some local specialty shortbread cookies or homemade beef jerky since I am a nemesis on his premises and seem to make more work for him than is necessary.

I realize he charges me for the work which is fair since I broke it but he always lets me keep my dignity and teaches me how to do maintenance.

ORjt

Hi all,

Hmm, no posts since 8/19 - ok, I'll try to catch up.

Back 'on the grid' (had a sabbatical, we tend to not 'advertise' when we'll be out of town, and I tend to stay off line, anyway, when on vacation).  Did  a bit of travelling (drove to San Jose to visit some family); enjoyed the eclipse from the back yard (99.2 %). Did some biking :) -- finally got in a full Metric on the Ti bike.  Got bit (or stung) by something or another on a different ride, tackled one last 'event' ride for the year (where the poor early season riding reared its ugly head -- got stymied on a number of short, steep climbs. Not surprising, but still annoying).

Rick: yep, sometimes it's hard to get out and ride. No real suggestions for you, but I do understand ...

Raffi: Thanks for photos - looks good!

lgvincent: I like the jerseys, but I gotta say - shorts should be predominantly black. But I'm an old(er) geezer :)

Meyery2k: I, too, get about 1.5k/chain.  It's really easy to over-lube. I try really hard to just get one drop per link --> one thing I've found - I got a bottle of bright orange nail polish (at the Dollar Store) - when I get ready to re-lube, I'll put a dab of polish on one link to identify where I start. It wears off quickly enough, no one's ever noticed. I also keep a supply of old socks (or t-shirts) on hand to wipe off the excess.  Cool that your mech is showing you how to do stuff.

Stay safe out there!

JT

raffi

Now that the smoke has cleared (literally), I've been able to get back to commuting. Last week, it was so smokey around here I did not want to be breathing that stuff in while riding. It kind of crushed my ideas of trying to reach 4000 miles for the year, unless the weather stays nice and the smoke stays away, I don't think I'm going to get anywhere near that.

rwallen

Hi all!

First, I was going to say that I have been lurking and that I did post once but I didn't know what happened to it.  Well, when I got ready to write this, I found out.  The post was still here.  Evidently, I didn't hit submit.  :)

Welcome back JT!

raffi, sorry about your commuting.  Things sure have been crazy around the US lately!

My riding is still about the same.  Along with a few rides, I did get my monthly rando ride in.  It was fine, perhaps a bit more of a struggle since I haven't been riding as much...mainly on the knees.  I keep thinking that I'll get back into the habit of riding every day but so far I haven't.  I will eventually.  I just need to find that spark!

Take care all!

Rick

lgvincent

I had a pretty nasty accident on August 27th.  My back tire went flat and I ran off the road.  I tried to stop safely but must have hit the front brake too hard because it threw me over it.  I was in the hospital 12 days and I have no idea if I can repair my bike or not.  I love that bike and would like to try to find another loved, well cared-for 2009 Scott CR1 Team although I know that's highly unlikely to happen so my riding days may be over.  I've got a heck of a lot of medical bills to pay so I'm going to be struggling for quite a while.  My yellow team Sky kit was cut off me in the emergency room so that's gone, too.