Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raffi

2017 Bicycling - Neither snow nor rain nor...

meyery2k

Lgvincent - That sucks.  One day and one thing at a time.  #1 - I hope you recover fully.  #2 - I hope your bike can be repaired.  I know how I would feel if my bike was busted up.

lgvincent

Thank you but I'm extremely depressed now.  I love that bike so much.  I lovingly took care of it and in my opinion, it looked as good as the day it came out of the store.  That's no longer true.  I just hope I can find a used one that's been cared for like mine has although I know that's not likely to happen. 

ORjt

lgvincent: Agreed with meyery2k - that really sucks.  Likewise wishing you a speedy recovery.  Hopefully, you'll find a way to get back on two wheels.

As for me: out for 21 miles on Sunday - cool 'fall kit' weather, with an added spritz of rain.  Got the road wet, and me damp, and not much else.  The real rain set in Monday/Tuesday. It's much needed - it's helped to cleanse the air, settle the dust, put out (well, not completely) the fires.

Hang in there, all y'all ...

JT

raffi

lgvincent, so sorry to hear about your crash. Get well soon! Wow, 12 days in the hospital, that sounds far more spectacular than I would have expected from a flat. I do hope the bike is salvageable, losing a well loved bike is not something I'd like to do again with our without the hospitable stay.

Well around here, the weather went from well into the 90s to hardly touching the 50s with rain. I'm so far behind where I want to be on miles, that I've been commuting anyway. Turns out, I don't melt in the rain. I might even be starting to get used to the colder temperatures as this morning it was in the low 30s and it didn't feel all that bad.

meyery2k

One of you once said I might come to like hills.  I scoffed at that of course.  Today, however, I completed this ride which is apparently ranked on a list of the 100 toughest climbs in the US.  While I can't brag at speed, I still did it and I only made a few short stops on the way up.  I will post pictures in Daily Chat.

Some of those grades were 10%+ (short but still tough on nearly 51 year old legs).

This then became part of an 80 mile ride.  20 miles of this was to go for fish and chips at a shop I particularly like.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/2435299

ORjt

HI all,

Meyery2k - nice work!  

I got out for ~27 miles on the Ti bike Saturday - gorgeous fall weather (clear skies, low 60's).  This weekend's looking pretty bleak; I've got a couple of outside chores to get done, and it's not clear yet how wet or dry we'll be.

I'm finding I really like Fall riding - there's something about the crisp air, and the changing season. (We're not seeing much color yet; that's ok :)  )

Hang in there, stay safe.

JT

lgvincent

Here's the the worst of the visible damage I can see after my wreck.  I it can be repaired.

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0051.JPG

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0049.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

lgvincent

The handlebar is straight now so once a few other things are taken care of, I'll find out if it can be ridden.

raffi

lgvincent, as long a the bike isn't carbon fiber, none of the damage looks too bad. I hope you are back in the saddle soon.

Last month did not look like it was going to go well, but I managed to pull out one more mile than I did the month before. While 4000 for the year is still looking unlikely, it now looks like it just might be possible. It will just depend on the when the snow flies.

ORjt

Hi all,

lgvincent: agreed with the others, damage doesn't look too bad (aluminum frame?), and as well, hopefully you'll be back up on two wheels soon.

Weather, for once (at least this time of year!) was better than predicted. Got my 'outside' chores done on Saturday; Sunday had a brief early shower or two, but by late morning, saw peeks of blue.  Got out a bit before noon for 22 miles. Little wind, no rain, mild temps (58-62 on the bike), and significant clearing by the time I rolled back home. The biggest surprise?  I only saw one other rider...

Hang in there, stay safe!

JT

lgvincent
11 hours ago, raffi said:

lgvincent, as long a the bike isn't carbon fiber, none of the damage looks too bad. I hope you are back in the saddle soon.

Last month did not look like it was going to go well, but I managed to pull out one more mile than I did the month before. While 4000 for the year is still looking unlikely, it now looks like it just might be possible. It will just depend on the when the snow flies.

It IS carbon.  As soon as my leg heals enough to stop bleeding, I'm going to have someone take a look at it and see what he things.  Except for a few scratches, I've not been able to find any damage. 

lgvincent
9 hours ago, ORjt said:

Hi all,

lgvincent: agreed with the others, damage doesn't look too bad (aluminum frame?), and as well, hopefully you'll be back up on two wheels soon.

Weather, for once (at least this time of year!) was better than predicted. Got my 'outside' chores done on Saturday; Sunday had a brief early shower or two, but by late morning, saw peeks of blue.  Got out a bit before noon for 22 miles. Little wind, no rain, mild temps (58-62 on the bike), and significant clearing by the time I rolled back home. The biggest surprise?  I only saw one other rider...

JT

No, it's carbon.  I've looked over it in detail and haven't been able to see or feel any damage other than the scratches.  I've got a fellow who will look at it, hopefully next week, and tell me what he thinks. 

As far as rain, I've never ridden when it looked wet outside, I just don't like for the bike to get wet.  I wipe it down after most rides to remove any dust or dirt that may be on it.  The last ride I saw the temperature, it was right at 105 degrees so riding in heat isn't too bad for me, as long as it's not really hot. 

ORjt
On 10/2/2017 at 6:13 PM, lgvincent said:

As far as rain, I've never ridden when it looked wet outside, I just don't like for the bike to get wet.  I wipe it down after most rides to remove any dust or dirt that may be on it.  The last ride I saw the temperature, it was right at 105 degrees so riding in heat isn't too bad for me, as long as it's not really hot. 

105's not really hot ??!!! You've got humidity, also, right?

95's about my cutoff, especially for commuting (it's not so much the riding in that temp, as it is the stopping, next to cars).

OTOH, perhaps you get more stretches of hot weather, so you're better acclimated to it?

Here (PDX), it's (mostly) rare to get multiple days above 90 (I think the record for 90+ days is ~25 days, total, in the year; this year we were around 22 or so - and that's above normal).

Hang in there, stay safe.

JT

raffi
4 minutes ago, ORjt said:

OTOH, perhaps you get more stretches of hot weather, so you're better acclimated to it?

There is certainly truth to that. It works on both ends too. I've ridden from single digits to well into triple digits. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was riding in the upper 30s and bundled almost as much as I was last year riding in the teens. Later in the winter, I fully expect to be tempted to wear shorts when temps head back toward 40.

The first hot day of the year really takes it out of me, but a week of commuting in the upper 90s is no big deal later on.

Turns out, preparation is the key. Keep the extremities warm enough in cold and stay hydrated in the hot and you can enjoy both conditions.

raffi

What a ride this morning, the temperature swings must have been close to 30 degrees and would come with every dip in the road or slight hill. Given that, I was probably dressed about as well as I could have been for those conditions.

This afternoon is supposed to be a major wind storm (30mph steady with 50+mph gusts). Since it is supposed to peak about the time I will be riding home, this should be interesting. Here's hoping the wind is more to my back than it is to my head...

ORjt

Hi all,

Raffi: I don't have anything that drastic (temp swings), but there are definitely cases where I ride that I can really sense significant changes. And yeah, that makes it hard to choose the right set of 'kit'.

RE: wind -- couple of years ago, we had a forecast for a calm morning, with ~30mph winds out of the NE for the afternoon. Coincidentally, my ride home is mostly SW. *That* was a fun commute - my average speed on the way home was over 16mph (typically, it's high-13 to low 14, on a *good* day). (I'm generally not fast, just methodical)

Me: got out for 22 miles on Sunday - just about perfect weather for this time of year - right around 60, crystal clear blue skies)  No riding the previous weekend - weather was fine, but I had conflicts.  Looks like the fall rains are setting in, so unlikely to ride this weekend.

I took the carbon bike in for a (needed) tune-up/overhaul, should have it back in the stable by mid-week.

JT

ORjt

Hi all,

Finally got out for another ride on Saturday - gorgeous weather - mid 60's. Likely the last 'shorts' day for a while. Got the carbon bike back from the overhaul - will need to go back for a couple of tweaks. That's not too unusual, but slightly frustrating. (I think I may actually need a new cassette; we'll see ...)

Some of the fall colors are finally starting to 'pop'; we're not as colorful as, say, New England ... but so far I've seen mostly yellow --> brown, and red --> brown, without the really vibrant golds and crimsons.  Here's a little taste.  The sky in the photo is a bit washed out - it was a very vibrant, striking blue ...

JT

vineyard.jpg

raffi

This morning's commute was the first commute of the season where I had to practice winter water management to keep my water from freezing. Temps were in the mid 20s. Next week is supposed to be even colder.

Last August, I realized that my yearly mileage was so low that making 4000 miles for the year would be a challenge. In fact, I thought I would have to give it a good effort to average 10 miles a day over the year for 3650. Well yesterday, on the way home, I passed 3650 miles for the year and it is looking like 4000 is in reach, unless something goes really wrong in the next two months.

ORjt

Hi all,

Raffi - nice work!  This year has been really bad for me, mileage wise. I'm at about 1250 right now :( .  Between weather and work ... it's been hard to get in much riding time.

Otherwise: Happy bike(birth)day to me!  Eight years ago today, I took a long lunch, drove over to the LBS, did a couple of short test rides (that was about all I was capable of!), and came home with a shiny new entry-level Trek.  That one now belongs to a friend, and has been replaced by a stable of 3 others.  In the meantime, I've gone from viewing 5 miles as a major accomplishment, to having completed 2 full centuries, and dozens of metric centuries.  I've even lost a little weight along the way - not nearly as much as I'd like, but some -- and (most importantly) I feel a whole lot better.

Anyhow - hope you all have a great day; get out and ride when you can. (We have rain forecast for the weekend :( ).

Stay safe out there!

JT

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, got a break in the weather - the rain stopped about 9am Sunday; I rolled out at about 1030 or so. Ti bike.  Roads were still wet in places, merely damp in others.  About 42 F when I started (brrrrr ... ), warming to ~50, with a bit of clearing, by the time I rolled back in (21 miles later).

Did get the carbon bike back to the LBS for re-tweaking. No cassette needed. Interesting conversation with the mech: "We usually call it cable stretch, but really, the cables don't stretch very much ... what usually happens is that the outer housing compresses, or fully seats within the various fittings, and that results in some cable slack ...).  Anyhow, a very short spin in the parking lot seems to bear that out - shifting felt much better, and the abominable brake squeal was gone.  Hopefully, I'll get a stretch of nice, dry weather and will get this one out for a longer ride pretty soon.

Stay safe out there! 

JT

raffi

Yesterday's commute was pretty cold. I only managed one drink of water before the tube in my backpack froze. Overall, I was warm enough, but the toes were pretty cold by the time I got in. It amazes me how much the temperature slows me down. It's not just the slower descents trying to pick your way through icy roads, temperatures below 30 seem to suck 2 or 3 MPH from my speed overall.

This morning, it was 10 degrees warmer (it was actually a degree warmer than when I rode home last night) and while it was still a slow ride, the toes were in much better shape when I got in.