Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

js905

A really basic question

js905

You will probably be able to figure out I'm new to pre-diabetes from my question...

Where do you test when out for the day?  No car, away from a hotel room, in a city.

Do you skip testing, use public restrooms (if available), parks, other public spaces?

On a recent vacation I basically tested in the AM, prior to bed, and sometimes after dinner.  My numbers were climbing, it would have been nice to know what specific restaurant meals were doing to me, but  I flat out was uncomfortable testing in public.  

miketurco

I test and take insulin in public. I do it in such a way as to obstruct the view. For example, while sitting at a table or turned away from the crowd. 

samuraiguy

My main goal is to keep people from seeing any blood. There are people, like my sister, who actually become ill at the sight of it so lancing yourself to draw it may make it even more "icky" for them.

NoraWI

I do NOT ever test in public restrooms! You do not want to pierce your skin in such a place. Do as suggested above... discreetly in public.

Dave_KC

Mostly I just test at home, I'll alternate between morning tests, evening tests and I try to get some couple hours after a meal test.

jwags

If you are testing meals then you want to test 1-2 hours after you start the meal. You can test in any public place. I usually have little torn up paper towels in my meter kit that Incannwipe the blood away. Keep a baggie in your meter kit to put used strips. If you do it discreetly people probsbly won't even know what you are doing. Most people shouldn't care anyway, Never do it in a restroom.

Cora

Imagine a nice restaurant. Quiet music in the background, nice white table linens. You remove your napkin and place it in your lap. Then take your small (Freedom Lite) kit case out of your purse, open the zipper and place it on the table. Gently tap your finger with the lancing device below the table line, quickly touch the tiny blood drop to the strip you'd already inserted. 10 seconds later a small beep. And you're done. Pack up and continue carrying on with conversation around the table. Unless it's a first date, none of your family or friends will even blink.

Eeew. I wouldn't do this in the bathroom!

Dave_KC

You might wait until you are off the jumbo-tron at the game, but other than that anything goes.

With my luck, that'd be the one time I was ever on the jumbo-tron!  

Fraser

I test pretty much anywhere I need too.

I am supplied with one touch strip strips I needed a small meter to carry when running.

So I bought the one touch ultra mini in black . It is about 1 x 4 inches. Most people don't notice it or if they do, think I have a new techie toy.

post-56276-0-13694200-1483984667_thumb.jpeg

Hammer

When ever I go out, depending on where I go, I will sometimes take my meter with me, along with my "bag" of insulin supplies.  My bag is a ZipLock plastic bag with my insulin pen, pen needles, alcohol wipes, several test strip containers ( 2 empty ones and two filled with two needle tips each), and several Kleenex folded up into small squares.  I'll place this bag, along with my meter, into a plastic grocery store bag.  I usually don't test when I am away from home, but if I do, I'll lay everything on the table in front of me, use one alcohol wipe to wipe the finger, place a test strip in the meter, lance my finger, then immediately wipe off the front of the lacing device with the alcohol wipe to remove any blood that might be there, then I'll place a drop of blood on the test strip, then I'll wrap my finger with a Kleenex tissue.  Once I get a reading, I'll remove the test strip with the small foil wrapper that the alcohol wipe came it, and place it in one of the empty test strip containers.

If I need to inject insulin, I'll place a needle tip on the insulin pen, inject in my lower abdomen, usually below the table height, then, I'll remove the needle tip, place it in one of the empty test strip containers, use a Kleenex to wipe off the injection site, and put everything back in the ZipLock bag.

Kit

I've been known to stick my finger into my glass of water, dry it off on a napkin, poke, take the reading, and then stick my finger in my mouth in restaurants.  I'll test anywhere, though I usually like to at least rinse my hands first, just to get rid of any residue that could affect the reading.

miketurco

When ever I go out, depending on where I go, I will sometimes take my meter with me, along with my "bag" of insulin supplies.  My bag is a ZipLock plastic bag with my insulin pen, pen needles, alcohol wipes, several test strip containers ( 2 empty ones and two filled with two needle tips each), and several Kleenex folded up into small squares.  I'll place this bag, along with my meter, into a plastic grocery store bag.  I usually don't test when I am away from home, but if I do, I'll lay everything on the table in front of me, use one alcohol wipe to wipe the finger, place a test strip in the meter, lance my finger, then immediately wipe off the front of the lacing device with the alcohol wipe to remove any blood that might be there, then I'll place a drop of blood on the test strip, then I'll wrap my finger with a Kleenex tissue.  Once I get a reading, I'll remove the test strip with the small foil wrapper that the alcohol wipe came it, and place it in one of the empty test strip containers.

If I need to inject insulin, I'll place a needle tip on the insulin pen, inject in my lower abdomen, usually below the table height, then, I'll remove the needle tip, place it in one of the empty test strip containers, use a Kleenex to wipe off the injection site, and put everything back in the ZipLock bag.

Saying this only to point out the contrast. I only change lancets every month or two. (The smoke detector battery joke is one of my favorites.) Use the same needle for two/three days before tossing it out. (I use sharps containers, of course.) For testing, only wash my hands if they're soiled. And I use the alcohol pads to clean a lot of things, but almost never to prep an area for testing. Knock on wood?

TheBigNewt

Saying this only to point out the contrast. I only change lancets every month or two. (The smoke detector battery joke is one of my favorites.) Use the same needle for two/three days before tossing it out. (I use sharps containers, of course.) For testing, only wash my hands if they're soiled. And I use the alcohol pads to clean a lot of things, but almost never to prep an area for testing. Knock on wood?

Me too. I looked at my box of pen needles for my Novolog pen the other day and they "expired" in 10/2014, and I still have a dozen left!

Cora

The insulin pumper joke is that when you change the time on your pump, you change our lancet. I'm pretty close to that these days. And as I've been testing since the early 80s, I've never "prepped" my fingers with an alcohol pad. And also never experienced any of the dire warnings the pharmacist will give you for not being absolutely sterile while testing. Just plain old normal cleanliness has worked well for me for over a third of a century.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.