Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Why this high A1C?

PatriciaJ

AM fasting = 90-106 (usually below 100). One hour after meals has been = 111-145. Three hours after meals = 103-120. These are averages. The highest BS I've had was 165 after raisin bran and 1 slice of Italian toast at the 1 1/2 hour mark. The second highest was 136 after 3 pancakes with butter and syrup with a tiny slice of orange at the one hour mark. On Thanksgiving after a turkey dinner, mashed potatoes with gravy, salad, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.. the BS was only 104 after 3 hours.

My last A1C was 6.2 - Was it that high because I occasionally have a bowl of cereal, pancakes, or toast? Seems like the A1C should have been lower.

jwags

I have similar bgs to you. My fastings are 90-100 and pps are 100-140 depending on whether I test at 1 or 2 hours. My HbA1 c is 6.8. The only way I can get mine as low as yours is to eliminate all carbs.

Fraser

Would not say 6.2 is high. Especially when you have listed some high carb food items in you diet.

Eliminate those items and add some exercise your A1c should fall.

You are spiking, and unless you have a continuous glucose monitor you won't know exactly when.

My suggestion is you look into a LCHF way of eating and accept that you are a diabetic.

Kit

I agree with Fraser. Your A1C sounds perfectly reasonable given the numbers you list and the foods you mention eating.

meyery2k

Patricia - Unfortunately I would have to concur with Kit, jwags, and Fraser.

If you can eliminate some of those carbs, you will likely see an improved A1C.

Bread, cereal, and pancakes usually prove to cause difficult to control spikes.

Many here try to never go over 120-140 after meals. ~ Mike

Fraser

FYI all meters BG and A1c test have a margin of error, so they could be higher or lower.

So nothing is absolutely diabetic or not.

I read a definition of prediabetic once that makes sense to me.

"A prediabetic is a diabetic with initial dx elevated BG levels that can be controlled without medication.

Controlling with diet and exercise only."

So you have been fortunate to be forwarned Time to start making changes. )

It basically a decision to live a healthier lifestyle

meyery2k

Patricia - I believe the point that Fraser is trying to make is that you really don't know when or what your maximum BG is.  The meter catches whatever is happening at that particular time.  A CGMS would give you a much better idea of what is actually occurring but it would not be worth the expense to get one for this purpose.  The CGMS would be like a security camera where you would be able to continuously observe and retreive data.

I do not intend this to be harsh but the bottom line is that if you are going over 140 at all, you are in the area where the glucose in your blood stream is toxic to any functioning beta cells.  The thinking is that you want to preserve the functioning beta cells for as long as possible which, in turn, reduces the need for medication and insulin.

There is also some theory that beta cells might be able to slowly regenerate themselves if the BG is kept as close to the normal level as possible.

Some other considerations are that if you are insulin resistant, the carbohydrates you consume cause more insulin to be released than in a non-diabetic so while your numbers might not be "bad", that extra insulin is not good for you.  There is evidence that excess insulin can elevate the risk of CVD in type 2 diabetics.  This extra insulin can also make it difficult to control weight.

Many here have had the best success with keeping their BG as close to normal as possible for as log as possible.  Unfortunately this means no starches like bread, rice, grains, sugar, and fruit. ~ Mike

samuraiguy

About right, normal lows around 100, spikes around 160, the average of that is 130 and the Eag of a 6.2 A1C is 131 mg/dl. Take your meter with you the next time you have labs to see how close your fasting is to the lab's result. Many times the meter reads lower so your averages need to be upscaled to match the lab.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.