Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

Homemade Pizza

Carol_42

Several months ago, I bought a portable pizza oven and I love it.  I've made a variety of pizzas with fresh veggies and cheese and pepperoni.  Is pizza a bad food to eat for persons with pre-diabetes? 

Seagal

Only if you use regular pizza dough, but you would need to check your b.g. with a meter before and after to see how much it increases.

Google "Fathead Pizza" and look at some of the terrific low carb recipes.  His pizza dough is one of the best around (IMO) and can be used for many wonderful yummies.

Carol_42

Only if you use regular pizza dough, but you would need to check your b.g. with a meter before and after to see how much it increases.

Google "Fathead Pizza" and look at some of the terrific low carb recipes.  His pizza dough is one of the best around (IMO) and can be used for many wonderful yummies.

Thanks the reference to Fathead pizza.  I bookmarked it so I can study it better. 

GrammaBear

Thanks for the tip on Fathead Pizza - never heard of it before reading your post.  Sounds delicious.

Kit

I haven't tried the Fathead dough, but I've made this one a few times and have liked it.  It also falls well under the quick and easy category, which appeals to me since work and commute keeps me out of the house for way too many hours a day.

http://www.stillathomemom.com/quick-easy-low-carb-skillet-pizza/

Carol_42

Humph!  These alternate pizza recipes are very interesting.  I checked one of my recipes that came from King Arthur's flour and 1-slice has 17g carbs.  Ouch!

Diana_CT

I think YMMW* It all depends on how much you eat. I have found that I can eat two slices of pizza without my BG going crazy and I have also found that it elevates my BG for a couple of days as it passes through my system so that I have to cut back on the amount of carbs that I eat for the next couple of days.

*Your Mileage May Vary"

Stl-T2

Another quick substitute is to just use a low carb tortilla for the crust.  It makes for a very thin crust, but I like the taste slightly better than the fathead pizza dough.  I only got around to trying the fathead dough in the last couple of weeks.  I was impressed and surprised by how quickly it comes together.

Weezy

I've been doing the Fathead pizza dough for a quite a while now, ever since Tom Naughton published it on his blog.  I've even served it to guests without telling them it was low carb and no one noticed!  A couple of people commented on how good it was and not soggy.  I tend to roll it out pretty thin (between parchment paper sheets) because I like thin crust pizzas.

The same recipe also works really well for variations of "bread" sticks, flatbread, etc.  It freezes well when wrapped tightly, and it reheats beautifully....we no long have a toaster so I don't know how it works in that.  It's become one of my go to recipes for when I'm craving bread or want a bread-like substance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.