Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carfree

A bit discouraged

carfree

I haven't been on the forums quite as often lately. Mostly because life has been busy, we had an election here in the U.S., winter can be a difficult time with motivation, and I'm a bit discouraged about my progress. I'm not exactly sure what to do to jump start things.

I have been working very stressful and crazy hours, which are completely normalized and required at my workplace. I have to wolf down my food at work because it's so busy. I deal with the stress poorly at times, not sleeping well and eating late right before bed. I think I've been eating too much food (winter in the North). Even though I eat LCHF, I have not been feeling good about my health. I'm not overweight, I exercise every day, and I stick to LCHF, but not very very LC.

Well, now I got a new A1c and it's back up to 6.1. This is very discouraging. I thought it would be high,. but wasn't sure because I was having meter troubles and wasn't sure how accurate my numbers were.

I'm writing here for any suggestions. The good thing is that I'm starting a new job with regular hours. My doctor will put me on Metformin if want, but I'm tempted to wait and see if the new job helps. I have a very hard time not eating at night so I'm working on some behavioral things to break that habit. I'm still wondering about type 1.5, but I'm thinking that would be progressing more quickly and tested a couple years ago for just GAD and it was negative. Intermittent fasting seems to cause me to eat more and doesn't always help my numbers but I'm thinking 12 hours might help. I'm still struggling with being a bit too attached to food. I like good food and probably use it to help my mood. I also have gotten in the habit of eating too quickly(see above my job). Committing to posting, or at least recording, my fasting numbers would be a start.

Sorry for the long post. This forum definitely helps with motivation!

Kit

I can relate to a lot of what you have posted.  Part of my job is IT, which means I work a lot of off hours and weekends handling things that can't realistically be done during normal business hours, etc.

I've given intermittent fasting a try a few times now and my appetite also goes insane.  I don't know why since I try to make sure I'm getting the same number of calories, etc.  I also get some very fun liver dumps depending on what meal I'm trying to eliminate.

I personally almost always go about 12 hours between dinner and breakfast.  That can vary.  An unexpected late night can mean a late dinner and an early day the next morning means I don't delay breakfast.  I don't have a problem with the 12 hour gap and on the weekend may go a little longer if I sleep in.

As far as the Type 1.5, many adults go for years before they get a proper diagnosis as it often is a very slow progress.  Doesn't mean that you are, but also doesn't mean that you are not.

Dave_KC

My job is IT as well, and yeah, sometimes the schedule is nuts, and it can be a challenge.  Then there was today where I could walk 3,500 steps to Jimmy Johns for an Unwich!  Very good, low carb lunch. 

Crizal

The days leading up to my regular check in, and A1C test always adds a level of stress. It can be a kick in the gut when the numbers go up.  I found if I do a home A1C between my DR. visits, it gives me some piece of mind, and a sense if my occasional slip up are adding up.  It also lets me know sooner that I need to buckle down, or things are going well.  I find it much easier to make small course corrections than big ones.  And for $30 it's well worth it.

samuraiguy

Just a few tweaks to diet and exercise and and you could be under an A1C of 6 again. When trying out a medication I give myself a date certain to reassess my use of it so perhaps try out Metformin for 6 months and see if it helps you reach your A1C goals and then if your new job allows you better eating habits and less stress you can go back off of it.

meyery2k

Carfree - I have to admit that I like samuraiguy's thinking.  I no longer need to take Metformin but, if my numbers creep up, I would be on it in a "New York minute".

It is possible the Metformin can be a short term solution to help you reach your goals while managing your new job and diet plan.

I work in IT and sometimes the schedule just doesn't cooperate with the job.  I have, however, stood up for myself and said, "Look I am going to take 15 minutes, got to the store, get some nuts and cheese, and be back.  I will be a much better workmate both performance wise and temperment wise".  My boss knows I have diabetes and is very gracious about it.  He has told me in no uncertain terms to do whatever I need to do to stay healthy.  In fact, the morning after my skin graft surgery, he brought me a special "diabetes LC breakfast".  6 slices of bacon and 3 over easy eggs!

carfree

Thanks so much for the responses. I know I need to be more assertive about taking care of my health. It sounds like my new job will be much better for my schedule, with an actual lunch break.

I did take a home A1c a couple months ago, and it was 5.3, which I knew must be low, but the 6.1 was a surprise. I'm a little worried about starting a new job and Metformin at the same time due to possible side effects so I might give it a couple months and see. I suppose I'm seeing medication as a failure of sorts, but I know that's nonsense. I'm still torn, but I know I can continue to work on lifestyle and health issues.

PatriciaJ

Dave_KC  I just looked up Jimmy John's and there are 2 locations near me.

The roast beef sub has 55 carbs. Would 1/2 sandwich be okay?

What is an Unwich??

Dave_KC

Dave_KC  I just looked up Jimmy John's and there are 2 locations near me.

The roast beef sub has 55 carbs. Would 1/2 sandwich be okay?

What is an Unwich??

Take any of the sandwiches, and wrap it in a leaf of lettuce, and it's now low carb (at least the vast majority).  Here's the .pdf of their menu at this link.  Right in the center, look for "Low Carb "unwich."  https://www.jimmyjohns.com/downloadable-files/jj_menu_no_prices.pdf

PatriciaJ

Dave, Thank you for the link. A sandwich wrapped in lettuce doesn't sound appetizing to me at all. How about if I cut the real sandwich in 1/2 and eat the other 1/2 the next day or two after that? Have you ever done something like that? IE: Eat a forbidden food item like pasta or bread, but just reduce the portion.

meyery2k

Patricia - Unfortunately for many of us, the quantity of carbs in even half a sandwich is often not friendly to us.

Prior to diabetes, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you about the lettuce wrap. It actually works out quite well. Subway will also make any sandwich as a salad. I have found it more satisfying in the long run vs. a sandwich on bread. Subway loads up the veggies.

Perhaps this restaurant would prepare as a chopped salad if you asked them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.