Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

ReliOn Glucose Monitoring System: mixed reviews at Walmart

Carol_42

I've been online reviewing the ReliOn Prime Glucose Monitoring System at Walmart.  I found one for $9.00, reduced from $16.98.  And it's available for free S/H using their site-to store feature.  I read through the entire manual so I could learn something about the process, and ironically, I am one of those types that can't stand reading directions. So that was a warning to me that I should have someone with me who could guide me through setting up the monitor and teaching me how to use it.  

This particular one shows 451 reviews with a score of 3.5 out of 5.  I read reviews posted from 2016 to 2017 and several were not so good.  Plus Walmart shows other models that are more expensive which makes me wonder why is this model so greatly reduced.  Are they fading it out because it's not so accurate?

I don't mind admitting that I'm not enthusiastic about having my fingers pricked several times a day, every day, for however long it takes. And, yes, I would like to know which foods cause my sugar to rise.   But I'm just not sure I'm prepared to place myself into another stressful situation regarding my health ... meaning, going through painful finger pricks and then trying to understand the numbers going up and down, and getting totally confused by it all.  My A1C is 5.9 and my GP gave me 3-months to see if I can lose weight and get my A1C lowered.  Maybe I should place all my energy on exercise, diet, and weight loss.  I understand that just 5% to 7% weight loss can have a positive effect on blood levels.  That's about 9 to 13 lbs. of weight loss.  If I can do that, or better, in 3-months, put me out to pasture.

I haven't given up on the glucose monitoring system.  I'm just not sure I'm ready for it yet.  On April 11, 2017, I will have my new labs and perhaps I will show a marked improvement in my GB levels and weight loss.  Pray for me, please ... 

miketurco

My experience with the relyon prime meter has been good. Poor online reviews often come from or are paid for by competitors -- I don't know if that's the case here but it may be. Unfortunately, there's no reasonable way to see how foods affect your bg without those finger pokes. Hang in there! As you say, if you lose weight your A1c may come down.

GrammaBear

If you have insurance, they might 'prefer' certain brands of meters.  I currently use a Bayer Contour Next USB meter and a Accu-chek FastClix lancet device.  I am type 1 so I have no choice but to stick my fingers 8-10+ times a day.  Honestly I can't say it hurts at all unless I prick the same finger multiple times in a row.  I bought my meter and lancet device from eBay and paid out of pocket because I like that particular lancet device. 

Kit

Finger pricks aren't really painful.  At first they might bother you a little, but once you get used to it, it gets pretty simple.  I do it multiple times a day and don't even blink an eye.

Don't get too hung up with the accuracy thing.  Seriously, its a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.  I work in an industry where we work with a lot of scientific equipment.  And even the devices that cost almost as much as my house, and whose yearly recalibration\recertification costs more than my car when brand new, has a margin of error.  I can't tell you how much time I have spent over the years with frantic users who just can't seem to handle the fact that their $200 device has a margin of error.

I have been using the ReliOn Prime for about 2 years or so now and so far the only problem I've run across is when the meter fell on the floor and my husband stepped on it in the dark and broke the screen.  :)  I've never had a surprise with my A1Cs, and they've all been in the range of expectation based upon my testing.  Actually its better than the one my insurance will pay for.

meyery2k

I use a Relion meter for all my testing except my fasting test.  Insurance funded a One Touch meter and 100 strips every 3 months.  The One Touch strips are expensive.

The Relion meter is good for what you are trying to observe.  If you spike after a meal, a $9 meter is going to catch that just as well as a $50 meter.  I have personally observed this when I spiked by using both meters and the 2 read close to each other.

Now, the Relion lancing device is horrible.  I would recommend the One Touch Delica lancing tool with the 33 gauge One Touch Lancets.  If I place my hands under warm running water for a brief time prior to testing, I can use the lowest impact on the tool and it doesn't hurt.  It is also good to change fingers and use the sides versus the tips or pads.

Some people have better success testing alternate sites like an arm.

I am going to be a little bold and speak my mind.  You are in a fortunate position to be pre-diabetic vs. diabetic.  Frankly, the stress of the testing is nothing compared to the stress of being diagnosed with diabetes.  Since it is a chronic condition it is always on your mind that you have it.  You are always conscious that your choices made to lifestyle and diet count.  You are always aware of the potential complications even when you have it well under control.

Life/Health insurance, drivers and professional licenses, and employment can be other areas where being diagnosed with diabetes can be complicated.  I better keep my job because I now have a preexisting condition if I lose my health insurance.  You don't, and might not ever, have that in the case of trying to avoid diabetes.  Sure, the ACA is supposed to protect me from that but who knows what will happen with the new administration?  President Trump has already issued an Executive Order that gives the authority to waive or delay implementation of any part of the law that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, insurers, drug companies, etc.

You are in a position to very possibly avoid the diabetes label and, believe me, if I could go back, I would do everything I could to not be diabetic.  If it meant pricking my fingers several times a day, it would be worth it.  I agree that working on the diet and the exercise are sound decisions.  The testing will give you an extra leg up on this.  You do not have to do this forever, just until you have a good idea of what foods might spike you. 

Early on, I tested several times a day until I figured out what I could, and could not eat.  Now I only test if I try out a new food that I know has carbs.  I will test at random just to see what is going on, and I still test every morning.  I have managed to get a handle on this and the doctor actually says I don't even have to test in the morning if I don't want to. 

The truth?  I don't "want" to, but I am in a similar situation that you are in.  I have the opportunity to collect data and act upon it before it is too late.  To me, it is worth it.

I am glad to see that you take this seriously and you are asking great questions!  Keep them coming. ~ Mike

Kit

Actually, I would recommend the 30 gauge lancets.  The 33 gauige (which are thinner) will not draw blood on me no matter how deep I set it to go.  Painful and a practice in frustration.  30 gauge I have no issues with that all and draw blood fine on the second to shallowest setting.

But, I also second the Delica lancing device.  Its worked well for me for close to 3 years now.

meyery2k

Actually, I would recommend the 30 gauge lancets.  The 33 gauige (which are thinner) will not draw blood on me no matter how deep I set it to go.  Painful and a practice in frustration.  30 gauge I have no issues with that all and draw blood fine on the second to shallowest setting.

But, I also second the Delica lancing device.  Its worked well for me for close to 3 years now.

Kit - I am a bit of a "sissy" lol...

The finer the gauge the better, at least for me.

I have managed to accidentally poke my fingers with 24 gauge CAT 5 wire on the odd occasion and that is indeed no fun.  You will get a nice quantity of blood though...

Kit

Lol, I've done that before. Hurts like crazy.

As far as lancet gauge goes, the 30 isn't painful where the 33 gauge is and still doesn't manage to draw blood.

jwags

I think all meters will have a 10-20% margin of error. I use the Contour Next USB because it is small and simple to use. While weight loss is good, it doesn't always lead to better BGS in my experience. I have been under my ideal weight for 7 years and still need meds to get Normal BG's. after awhile lancing your finger is painless.

Carol_42

I use a Relion meter for all my testing except my fasting test.  Insurance funded a One Touch meter and 100 strips every 3 months.  The One Touch strips are expensive.

The Relion meter is good for what you are trying to observe.  If you spike after a meal, a $9 meter is going to catch that just as well as a $50 meter.  I have personally observed this when I spiked by using both meters and the 2 read close to each other.

Now, the Relion lancing device is horrible.  I would recommend the One Touch Delica lancing tool with the 33 gauge One Touch Lancets.  If I place my hands under warm running water for a brief time prior to testing, I can use the lowest impact on the tool and it doesn't hurt.  It is also good to change fingers and use the sides versus the tips or pads.

Some people have better success testing alternate sites like an arm.

I am going to be a little bold and speak my mind.  You are in a fortunate position to be pre-diabetic vs. diabetic.  Frankly, the stress of the testing is nothing compared to the stress of being diagnosed with diabetes.  Since it is a chronic condition it is always on your mind that you have it.  You are always conscious that your choices made to lifestyle and diet count.  You are always aware of the potential complications even when you have it well under control.

Life/Health insurance, drivers and professional licenses, and employment can be other areas where being diagnosed with diabetes can be complicated.  I better keep my job because I now have a preexisting condition if I lose my health insurance.  You don't, and might not ever, have that in the case of trying to avoid diabetes.  Sure, the ACA is supposed to protect me from that but who knows what will happen with the new administration?  President Trump has already issued an Executive Order that gives the authority to waive or delay implementation of any part of the law that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, insurers, drug companies, etc.

You are in a position to very possibly avoid the diabetes label and, believe me, if I could go back, I would do everything I could to not be diabetic.  If it meant pricking my fingers several times a day, it would be worth it.  I agree that working on the diet and the exercise are sound decisions.  The testing will give you an extra leg up on this.  You do not have to do this forever, just until you have a good idea of what foods might spike you. 

Early on, I tested several times a day until I figured out what I could, and could not eat.  Now I only test if I try out a new food that I know has carbs.  I will test at random just to see what is going on, and I still test every morning.  I have managed to get a handle on this and the doctor actually says I don't even have to test in the morning if I don't want to. 

The truth?  I don't "want" to, but I am in a similar situation that you are in.  I have the opportunity to collect data and act upon it before it is too late.  To me, it is worth it.

I am glad to see that you take this seriously and you are asking great questions!  Keep them coming. ~ Mike

I've taken everything you have said to heart, Mike.  You make good sense to me with your good advice.  I like what you have said about ... "the opportunity to collect data before it is too late".  That is excellent "food for thought".  Thanks for being there, Friend.~Carol

Carol_42

I'm too tired to respond to everybody.  But I do thank you All so much for being there.  What a great group of people you are.  Thanks a bunch.  Hugs. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.