Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Fat Head pizza

PatriciaJ

Is this the Fat Head dough recipe? Can we buy the dough ready made at Trader Joe's or another health food store? Can we use canned or bottled pizza sauce?

Ingredients: 1¾ cups (approx) shredded cheese (mozzarella) , ¾ cup almond flour, 2 tbs cream cheese, 1 egg, ½ tsp dried rosemary/ garlic or other flavorings (optional)

Instructions: Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds. Add the egg, salt, rosemary and any other flavorings, Mix gently. Roll into a circular pizza shape. Make fork holes all over the pizza base to ensure it cooks evenly. Bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes, or until brown. Remove from the oven and add toppings. Bake again at 425F for 5 minutes.

Toppings of your choice such as tomato paste, tomato sauce, rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage,  pepperoni, ground cooked beef or sausage, mushrooms, peppers, cherry tomatoes, olives, and more shredded cheese.

Weezy

That looks like the recipe.

I've never seen this dough pre-made in a store, although I must admit that I've never looked because I can't imagine any company making a pizza "dough" with no wheat in it AND low carb.

What you put on top really is up to you and what your body can handle re carbs.  Read labels carefully--it's amazing how much added sugar can lurk in tomato based sauces.

Note:  Costco's marinara sauce is again without added sugar!  I just noticed it this week--a while back they started adding sugar to the sauce, but now it looks like there's no added sugar.  Yippeee!  It's nice to have a bottle or two in the cupboard for when we run out of our own frozen tomato pizza sauce (made from our own tomatoes).

My personal favorite is a hamburger pizza with lots of mushrooms, olives, and full-fat mozzarella cheese.

dowling gram

Is this the Fat Head dough recipe? Can we buy the dough ready made at Trader Joe's or another health food store? Can we use canned or bottled pizza sauce?

Ingredients: 1¾ cups (approx) shredded cheese (mozzarella) , ¾ cup almond flour, 2 tbs cream cheese, 1 egg, ½ tsp dried rosemary/ garlic or other flavorings (optional)

Instructions: Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds. Add the egg, salt, rosemary and any other flavorings, Mix gently. Roll into a circular pizza shape. Make fork holes all over the pizza base to ensure it cooks evenly. Bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes, or until brown. Remove from the oven and add toppings. Bake again at 425F for 5 minutes.

Toppings of your choice such as tomato paste, tomato sauce, rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage,  pepperoni, ground cooked beef or sausage, mushrooms, peppers, cherry tomatoes, olives, and more shredded cheese.

You will find very few low carb things ready made so no you can't buy the crust ready made. What you put on top in the form of tomato sauce and toppings is up to you and your carb tolerance and the amount you put on. You'll have to read labels. Some mozzarella cheese has carbs so look for full fat. 1 cup of almond meal/flour has 6 carbs and 3 fiber, your cream cheese will probably have 1 g carbs and the egg has .7

I too use marinara sauce for a lot of things that require tomato sauce. It is rather thin for pizza though unless you just use a little.

You can also make pizza minus the crust in a heavy frying pan. Precook all the toppings to remove the moisture.  Put the grated mozzarella in the pan and let it melt over medium heat. When it is melted add your toppings and spices and cook until the edges of the cheese starts to brown. Remove from heat and enjoy. You do have to use a fork for this but it does taste good.

I don't use tomato sauce. I do use diced pepperoni, crumbled cooked Italian sausage, bacon, peppers, onions and mushrooms and Parmesan cheese. I dice and cook a full pound of bacon and freeze it in small containers. I do the same with the sausage. When I want to make a pizza I take the lids off and nuke the meat to thaw it while I'm frying the veggies. I leave the pepperoni as is. I remove the drained veggies to a plate, wipe out the pan with a paper towel and put in the cheese. I sprinkle the Parmesan  and spices on top of the meat and veggies

I use Italian seasoning and lots of basil for spices

You can also use the Bariatric pizza found in our recipe section. It uses ground chicken and mozzarella for a crust and it's one of the best pizzas I've eaten

meyery2k

Pesto can be a good topping or alfredo sauces with seafood if you like alternative toppings.  Many of the ready made white sauces have few carbs which saves a little time on the prep.  I have personally found that I can quickly whip up a way better sauce (white or red) than anything from a jar or a can but if time is pressing many of the alfredo sauces in a jar will do.

I can't remember the name but there is also a white pizza sauce in a jar that I found was really good.

Most tomato sauces from the can seem to have 4g carbs per serving.

Roma tomatoes, IIRC, seem to have the least amount of carbs in the tomato varieties.

carfree

Has anyone tried Rao's pasta sauce? My BG seems very sensitive to tomatoes, but I do like a low dairy, low carb pizza sometimes. I read about Rao's on a keto site as being lowest in carbs. I bought some but haven't tried it yet.

DeusXM

As a general rule, anything 'pre-made' is a bad idea, regardless of whether or not you have or are on your way to diabetes. I'm a firm believer that one of the reasons people's health is in general decline in the West is because people eat too many ready-made things.

The dough is very easy to make so I'm not really sure why you'd need it 'pre-made' as it takes only 2 minutes or so to make.

Same with the sauce - why would you buy a jar of pizza sauce when you can just mix up a tin of chopped tomatoes with some herbs, pepper and onion? 

I've made this pizza before and I'll say that the dough does work very well - it's also very filling and you may find that you eat far fewer slices than you would with a regular pizza.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.