Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Flat bread

PatriciaJ

Can we use flat bread as substitute for pancakes? Maybe top with butter and some sort of syrup or sugar free jam? What are the best uses for flat bread? Thank you everybody. Just trying to find things that are 'friendly'  instead of the things I love such as sweets and breads etc.. I was newly diagnosed as pre diabetes and I feel very deprived of the great tasting food items I used to enjoy :( 

dowling gram

There are many recipes on line for pancakes. I like the cream cheese pancakes with Torani caramel or french vanilla SF syrup added. The recipe is simple

2 eggs and 2 oz of softened cream cheese and flavoring. Beat together until smooth and cook in a frying pan over medium heat in melted butter. When the edges appear cooked flip and brown the other side. I eat them with Torani syrup and a few cut up berries.

Low carb tortillas or flat bread are good for sandwiches. Flat bread is also a good sub for hamburger  or sausage buns. I cook a bunch of breakfast sausage and freeze them. For a snack or a fast meat. I wrap a couple of them in paper towel and nuke for a minute. I place on the appropriate size of flat bread, add mustard and a bit of relish and eat them like a hot dog. The only carbs are in the flat bread and relish and that's less than 10.

Moonpie

Low carb pancakes are very easy to make at home, I use a mix of almond & flax meals, add an egg, some sweetener & mix it up, if it looks too thick add water or sf syrup. 

The low carb tortilas are also good for tacos or enchilada.

meyery2k

Patricia - You are doing great.  It is difficult giving up old comfort foods like bread, pasta, and rice.  Low carb tortillas helped me out a lot.  Eventually, I just found that I don't eat them anymore since I have new comfort foods that are more satisfying.

When I make a cheeseburger, I will take a portabella mushroom, remove the stem, brush with olive oil. salt, pepper, and sesame seeds.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.

This becomes the base for an open-faced burger with all the good stuff like mayonnaise, cheese, mushrooms, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, and whatever I am in the mood for.

Every bit as satisfying as a loaded cheeseburger on a bread bun.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.