Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Keeping a diary

PatriciaJ

Looking for some good ideas about keeping a food diary. In other words, what kind of notebook. Columns listing fasting AM bs, food items eaten for breakfast, blood sugar result after 1 hour, 2-3 hour etc. Then lunch, dinner, and bedtime. Wondering how to make it simple, yet easy to read and track the particular food items that cause blood sugars to spike. The diary that was included with my Contour Next monitor is way to small to list foods I ate for each meal.

Wondering if going over 140 is such a terrible thing after meals if it goes back down to the before meal number after 2-3 hours. Should the before meal number (lunch or dinner or bedtime) always be as low as the morning fasting numbers??? 

I'm confused and still struggling with trying to see a definite pattern as to what foods consistently spike high for me.   

Java

there may be an app you could use to track it all

i made a template for my food diary with columns of what i wanted to track but then i started using the loseit app and that tracks my food & nutrients

i dont track my glucose numbers anymore unless it is a new food item since i basically eat the foods i found to be safe for me

the 140 mark, if i understand correctly, is when you actually are doing damage to your body

everyone is different about what numbers they aim for and are comfortable with

basically eat to your meter - keep good records of what you eat, what your bg # is before you eat and then 1 & 2 hrs post - you will soon have a good insight in how your body tolerates different amounts of carbs

dont assume tho - test to make sure

when i was first dx'ed i ate a quest bar since going by the nutritional stats it looked safe.....that bar spike me 60+ points

lesson learned

glucerna stuff spikes me bad as well

good luck!

Seagal

Have you thought of joining one of the free programs like Fitday, My Plate, Calorie King?  I have been using Fitday for a long time and find it very helpful in listing foods, journaling, entering whatever suits me.  It will give you charts, graphs, etc. to allow you to follow your journey to better health.

Otherwise, you could do a spreadsheet, google the type of journal or diary you are looking for, or just get a comp book and start writing.

Usually it is the carbohydrate food group that will cause a spike, potatoes, bread, pasta, etc.

I feel going over 140 after a meal is asking for trouble because if you do it consistently, you are facing organ damage.

For a lot of us, fasting numbers can increase if we don't eat something, so pre-meal numbers can be higher than fasting numbers.

Keep asking questions, lots of helpful people here!

meyery2k

For about a 3 month period, I just logged everything in a very basic Excel spreadsheet.  I then figured out how to use food logging in my Samsung Health app and did that for about 6 months.

Now that I am at my weight, glucose, and exercise goals, I no longer log.  so far, I have demonstrated to myself that I am keeping the habits developed over the past year.  If I start to drift out of range, however, logging is always an option that I can go back to.

It really helped me in the beginning to help figure out how to do what I needed to do.

Kit

I also just used a basic spread sheet to track things.  One tab per day, and I logged what I ate, my macros for each meal, and my BG readings.

Stl-T2

I wanted a pencil and paper solution, so I came up with a form that tracked what I ate and my blood sugar readings and meds for a day.  I also tracked exercise, bowel habits, and when I took my meds.  My doc loved it.  I'd bring him the whole sheaf of papers and he'd read through it and get a very good idea of how things were going for me.  He even started taking my IBS more seriously, though it actually improved (once I got past the initial adjustment to the metformin.)  I designed it in such a way that I could fold it in quarters, thus keeping the bowel habit and med stuff hidden and enabling it to easily fit in the side pocket of my purse.  If you'd like to see it, PM me with an email address I can send it to.  

Stl-T2

One of my favorite research papers on diabetes (Mazze et al 2008) looked at non-diabetics using CGM.  They had 32 non-diabetics (and carefully tested to make sure they were non-diabetics) hooked up to CGM for a MONTH with an average of about 100 BG readings per day.  Their very best non-diabetic had an A1C of 5.0 and only 0.7% of their readings were over 140.  That subject's highest reading during the month was 166.  The "worst" non-diabetic had an A1C of 5.6 and 15.6% of their 3000 some odd readings were over 140.  Their max reading during the month was 230.  I know which one I would bet on being most likely to develop diabetes in the future, but that aside, I think the study gives you some idea of what "normal" numbers are like.  

They were measuring BG day and night.  So if you were to have your BG over 140 for 2-3 hours after each of three meals, that would be 6-9 hours per 24 hour day or 25-38% of your day.  

Mazze et al looked at diabetics, too, btw.  The "best" diabetic also had an A1C of 5.0, 7.9% of readings were over 140, and the max was 210.  The median patient had an A1C of 7.7, 55% of readings were over 140, max was 355.  The worst was pretty scary.  A1C of 9.9, 68.5% of readings were over 140, max was 466!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.