Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Cook books

PatriciaJ

I'm wondering if there are any good low carb cook books I could buy at Barnes & Nobles. One with simple recipes and information regarding the LCHF lifestyle.

Also I read some forums where people are eating dark chocolate which I thought was something to eliminate from our diet. What about diatetic ice creams at the grocery store or sugar free jello? I'm starving for something sweet, lol.

meyery2k

You can find all kinds of great recipes by searching this forum.  You don't need to spend a dime on a book.

Sugar free ice cream and Jello are good.  Like any other thing, test, but in many cases these can work fine.

Safeway (a regional grocery chain) has a Safeway branded LC ice cream.  I particularly like the Butter Pecan flavor.  They also make an Ice Cream bar similar to the Dove bar that is quite good.  They also make a good "old school" Fudgsicle.

Breyers and Blue Bunny also offer low carb ice cream.  I have not tried the Breyers but I did like the Blue Bunny.  I try to stick with the Safeway brand because the carbs are a little lower than these.

I go in waves with Jello.  I will consume it eagerly for a while, get sick of it, stop for a few months, then back to eating it again.  The SF varieties taste fine to me and I don't spike but some other people have reported they do so test.  One variation is that I will have 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1/2 cup of cold water in place of the 1 cup cold water the directions call for.  Another variation is to use 1 cup of diet ginger ale in place of the water.  This works good with lemon and lime flavors.

Dark chocolate - I personally eat small quantities of 90% chocolate on occasion with no problems.  I said it before, and I'm gonna say it again, test...  90% was recommended by a very frequent poster here.  I like it because it is not too sweet.

One thing to watch is that some of these items use sugar alcohols as sweetener.  If you overindulge, you are likely to get an upset stomach or the runs.  The ice cream is also not low calorie by any means so if you are working on weight loss, keep that in mind.

Keep a close watch for something called Maltitol.  This sugar alcohol causes spikes in some people.  Yes, you know what I am going to say, try it and test ;)

Look up fat bombs and you can easily make your own chocolate.  Just need cocoa powder, some type of fat like butter, cream, or coconut oil, vanilla, a little salt (my preference), and about 10-15 minutes to melt, mix, and pop in the freezer.  When I make these my ADULT NON-DIABETIC children descend upon my house and eat them all up so I only end up with one or two lol...  I yell at them to make their own but they never listen.  I get no sympathy for diabetes when they discovered I eat better than they do lol...

This is a fun link, it is a diabetics cookbook from nearly 100 years ago.  I am not sure I would take every single thing in here as gospel, but it is a very interesting read which demonstrates that low carb is not a new idea.  Much of the information in here is what we have adapted to.  There are also some interesting recipes.  Many here have also advised that old school cookbooks from the 1950's and 60's are good finds because they utilize fats in many of the recipes. ~ Mike

https://archive.org/stream/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala#page/100/mode/2up

jwags

There are several volumes of Low Carbing Among Friends which are good. If you go to your book store just browse the shelves. I have bought a lot of cookbooks in the past but now prefer to go online to websites. You can find the recipes for free by just googling.

Moonpie

When I was first diagnosed, one of the first things I did, was go & buy a "diabetic" cook book. well, it was a waste of money.  Look for low carb websites & also the recipe section here at DF. Lots of wonderful ides, & if you are craving a particular meal, just google it & put low carb in front of the meal name. There are thousands of recipes online, which are low carb, diabetic cook books tned to have a lot of wheat or rice added to them, they are not carb conscious, only sugar conscious. I like sf jello & ice cream too, & the dark choc has or no less sugar  added which is why we can eat it. It can be an adjustment as it is more bitter than regular chocolate.

Stl-T2

There are numerous blogs with good recipes.  Some of the ones that come to mind are All Day I Dream About Food, I Breathe I'm Hungry, Sugar Free Mom, Peace Love and Low-Carb, and Maria Mind Body Health.  And of course Pinterest.  Just search for low-carb and you'll get a ton of recipes.

funkynassau

I dont think you need to buy any cookbooks, there's hundreds of thousands of recipes online, free for the taking.  This forum also has a really good recipe section.

Seagal

Post #5 has the links of some of the best low carb recipe sites!!!  Also, "Hold The Toast" or any of Dana Carpendar's recipes.

Rather than buy a book at this point, google "low carb recipes" and choose some that sound good.  If you find yourself returning to the same site, see if she has a book.

Todd G.

Check out youtube too. Lots of recipes and demos, especially if you search for keto.

As for your sweet tooth, try these gummie bears. Read the reviews and you'll see they will help you lose weight too.

https://www.amazon.com/Albanese-Candy-Sugar-Assorted-5-pound/dp/B00DE4GWWY/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1485473175&sr=8-2&keywords=sugar%2Bfree%2Bgummi%2Bbears&th=1

OneEye

I'm starving for something sweet, lol.

Sugar, in my opinion, should be a schedule 1 drug. You can cut down on sweets or cut them out all together but...for most of us the craving never goes away. Ever!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.