Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Partytyme04

Humalog insurance trouble

Partytyme04

Hey guys,

So its the beginning of the year on my blue cross standard plan and pharmacist said a few vials of humalog will cost 600+ after running the insurance. I was wondering if anyone knows if that's normal? If it counts towards my deductible then I'm fine paying it as long as I won't have to pay that price all year. the BCBMS customer service is closed on weekends, the website seemed to give conflicting information/instructions, and I'm out of insulin.  I'll be going to get the insulin either way, because I have to have it. but does anyone have any experience with this that could provide some insight? Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't really see one that applied. Oh

Any help is appreciated, sooner the better  Thanks! 

ignore silly profile name(from high school)  :rolleyes:

age 25, type 1, insurance noobie

NoraWI

Hi, and welcome to DF! You don't say how many vials you were getting. Yes, the cost of insulins has risen recently, like most other medications. And, yes, you probably have a beginning-of-the-year deductible lurking there, too. I have read others complain and some have even gone back to NPH and Regular, which are sold over-the-counter without prescription and are quite a bit cheaper. Check with your insurance on Monday and they will tell you the sad story.

jwags

Can you look online at the drug formulary for your insurance. MY insurance will cover humalog but not novallog. HOw hogh is your deductible? It could be your deductible has gone up in 2017. If that is the case you will have to meet your full deductible before your insurance kicks in.

Kenton

I wonder how many of us are getting sticker shock at how much it cost to treat our disease this year.

I retired at the end of last year so I'm no longer covered by my former companies insurance.  ( which also jumped in cost this year )

I went with their retiree insurance which was similar to ACA plans and uses Caremark.

Lantus was no longer on my list and two of the replacement  drugs I am not familier with, I'll wait and see how others do on them.  ( or see if they offer coupons to try them )

I had a bad rash from Humalog previously and since they do not refund if I can't use a drug decided to not try the new stuff.

Levemir was what they used while I was in the hospitcal along with Novolog which I still can get and already use so I went with Levemir.

A 30% co-pay for preferred prescriptions and they do not pick up until I hit $5000 meant ouch !!!

I'm not looking forwards to seeing the endo either, I'm going to suggest we do 6 months if possible instead of 3 as I have a separate 30% co-pay and deductable to meet for him.

I wonder what Medicare will be like in two years when I am supposed to sign up.

jwags

Medicare was cheaper for me than my old insurance. I picked up Part B for an extra $121.80 a month and I picked up a supplemental for $149 a month. You have to pick up Drug coverage separately..Mine has no deductible but the copay a are high for brand name drugs and when you hit the do it hole it gets very expensive.

Partytyme04

Yes I checked online and it says that humalog was covered, novalog was not. So I guess it is covered, but I still have to pay 600+. So hopefully it'll just be a high cost early bc of the deductible and then it'll be cheap. I'll have to look into NPH, regular, and levemir like you all mentioned if not. But I won't be able to confirm anything until tomorrow when my insurance is available to answer some questions.  Thanks for the help guys!

jwags

The way my insurance used to work, is once you met your deductible , my meds were free. OF course I never met the $11,000 deductible. some insurance companies have a copay you have to meet. MIne on Part D is $47 a month for my Januvia until I hit the do it hole and then I pay $175 a month.

JohnSchroeder

I was in the same boat as you recently.  High deductable plan on BCBS.  I was the person who was looking at switching to NPH and R too.  Since then a few things have changed.  Regular insulin from Walmart at $24/vial is a good option.  The NPH is not as good of an option since it peaks and requires 2 shots a day instead of the usually single dose with Levamir/Lantus/Basalgar/Tresiba.

With some research I found that Basalgar and Tresiba have discount coupons that can be acquired online on the manufacturers website that makes these affordable.  Lantus and Levamir might also, but I wasn't considering those.  In order to qualify for the discounts you have to be on private insurance (not medicaid) and have a pulse.

So now I have Humalin R from Walmart and am getting Tresiba U200 filled for about $30 a box.

cwrussell

Hey guys,

So its the beginning of the year on my blue cross standard plan and pharmacist said a few vials of humalog will cost 600+ after running the insurance. I was wondering if anyone knows if that's normal? If it counts towards my deductible then I'm fine paying it as long as I won't have to pay that price all year. the BCBMS customer service is closed on weekends, the website seemed to give conflicting information/instructions, and I'm out of insulin.  I'll be going to get the insulin either way, because I have to have it. but does anyone have any experience with this that could provide some insight? Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't really see one that applied. Oh

Any help is appreciated, sooner the better  Thanks! 

ignore silly profile name(from high school)  :rolleyes:

age 25, type 1, insurance noobie

My friend, since you mentioned that you actually ran out of insulin, but also that you have a deductible/insurance- I've got a "pro-tip" for you that has made a world of difference in my life:

You've got to stock-pile your insulin.

Instead of getting refills when you need them, get refills as soon as the insurance will allow it each and every month.

You should be able to slowly build of a cushion of extra insulin.

If you aren't able to build up a reserve, let your prescribing physician know that you're just barely running out (or getting really close to running out) each month and ask that they increase the prescription a little.

(Make sure you are careful about monitoring expiration dates though.)  

I don't feel comfortable when/if my insulin stockpile goes below 6 months.

Six months of extra insulin = FREEDOM.  

Freedom to go on a really long trip to a third world country.

Freedom to loose/quite your job/insurance.

Freedom to forget to refill your insulin for an entire month and yet not run out.

lgvincent

I have Humana and they no longer cover Humalog.  The price I was given for the month prescription for the insulin pump (I think 3 vials) was over $2,000 so I had to pass on that.  I remember when I used to pay $15.00 a vial for Humalog and how I got upset when the price increased to $18.00 and slowly continued to climb to $27.00 over the course of a few months.  I'd like to go back to that price now. 

jims_forum

I do not know which  insulin of humalog you are using. I use regular Humalog Lispro U 100 in vials. There is a utter disgrace going on here.. Back in 2013 the prices were $ 27 dollars in Canada. Today price in Canada presently $ 70. In US cash price today is

$ 270 and with copay is $ 60.

I would want to be sure there is no Built in Clinton Foundation donation.  This has all the Mlylex epipen scam smell! This humalog lispro  has been around for years and price increases sure look like price fixing and gouging. If anything improvements in manufacturing should decrease prices not jack it to the roof!

jims_forum

I meant to add that back in 1970's, US Congress had some commissions were drug executives were charged with price fixing and sent to Jail! Maybe time again!

I do not know which  insulin of humalog you are using. I use regular Humalog Lispro U 100 in vials. There is a utter disgrace going on here.. Back in 2013 the prices were $ 27 dollars in Canada. Today price in Canada presently $ 70. In US cash price today is

$ 270 and with copay is $ 60.

I would want to be sure there is no Built in Clinton Foundation donation.  This has all the Mlylex epipen scam smell! This humalog lispro  has been around for years and price increases sure look like price fixing and gouging. If anything improvements in manufacturing should decrease prices not jack it to the roof!

danzmeestersche

I'm using Novolog, both N and R in vials. My endocrinologist gave me the most important hint: you can buy BOTH insulins over the counter at Walmart for less than $ 25/vial. Suddenly drug coverage through my insurance is not the deciding factor... You don't even need a prescription!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.