Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Thrift-ing

ran23

I do not thrift my nature, I lost 54 lbs (that is 5 suits sizes) and needed to replace my wardrobe. Thrift stores had little for me, I turned to a consignment store in town.   carpeted regular looking Men's Store.  great prices.  I do donate most of my clothes, but held off on suits and woolens. I sold these threw the store and bought a few things there.  2 suits, flannels, khakis, dress shirts, ties, and shoes.  ebay prices are too much for most things there.    finally started soc. sec.    life is fun.    

dowling gram

Consignment stores are good places. While I've never bought things there I have sold a few things in one that were too expensive to give away to charity. My son's suits from a wedding, grade 8 and high school graduation were some of the things I sold. All had been worn only a couple of times. Mostly though I do give gently used clothes to charity.

adiantum

Ive not thought to look for consignment  stores.

Ive got 5 big garbage bags filled with clothes & household furnishings waiting to be collected today or tomorrow.

Hmmm I'll recover a few pieces  especially the leather items.

Many workers in charity stores sell items on ebay, so I avoid donating to them

dowling gram

Many workers in charity stores sell items on ebay, so I avoid donating to them

That's shameful. Aren't your charities tax exempt and as such have to account to the government? They are in Canada and if employees did such a thing the charity would lose their tax exempt status. I don't think any charity would chance that.

adiantum

Theyre mostly run by volunteers. Often Ive seen filled bags  being packed into the workers cars.

I know of two that have been sacked  but no theft charges were laid.

Theyre often as sweet as honey to talk to but common thieves no less.

One man used to get a petrol allowance  given to him to run his own car & trailer to pick up donations.

He also sold scrap metal privately & had a stall in the community markets where he sold bric-a-brac.

One manager was sweetness plus & she'd do the sorting & would put things aside for her family.

She mustve had family from size xxxs to 6x large

OneEye
She mustve had family from size xxxs to 6x large

I think she has a twin sister that works here. <_<

ran23

Finally broke down and got a pair of Black Cap Toes, last time I wore a charcoal suit I got away with Burgundy Cap Toes, but I think black might be a better look.   $14.83 on the bay.

ran23

I walked into my fav Consignment store today, the 'half price rack' was $10.    grabbed a Levi Menswear brown/blue check sport coat, looks good with dark blue denim.  Tried on a nice Tasso Elba micro fiber casual jacket, in small, it fits trim.  but fits.  (38-S me)  With the credits I had, today cost me $2.19.  snowing out

ran23

Just a couple short sleeve popovers, khaki shirt-jacket and my first-seersucker trousers in light blue. Guess I need some Penny Loafers now. I am working on losing weight to fit the 33" trousers I got earlier.

Hammer

Just a couple short sleeve popovers, khaki shirt-jacket and my first-seersucker trousers in light blue. Guess I need some Penny Loafers now. I am working on losing weight to fit the 33" trousers I got earlier.

Wow, 33" trousers....I don't think that my waist size was ever as small as 33".  The smallest waist size that I can remember, was when I was working out of town and rooming with a friend of mine.  We would go to the gym everyday and she showed me the proper way to pump iron.  After a few months, seeing that I had lost fat and built muscle, she bought me a pair of Jordache jeans with a 34" waist.  I would never buy designer jeans for myself and she knew that, so she got them for me.  I was surprised at how well they fit me.  They were a tiny bit snug, but I think that's how they are supposed to fit.  When I went home on the weekend and showed them to my wife, she was impressed with how they fit me.  These days, a 34" waist is nowhere on the horizon.....maybe a 42" waist, but I'm not going to hold my breath.(I'm a 44" now). :D

Edited by Hammer

ran23

when I lost over 50 pds, I bought a lot basics-2 suits and 4 trousers.  suits were 33" and grey flannels were also. I can cheat with my charcoal suit and wear braces, which I like anyway.  Feel better at under 160.     lunch?  wine, chocolate, walnuts and a few spoons of chicken salad.  

ran23

Charcoal Tweed jacket, Tommy Bahama blue stripe dress shirt (who know they made dress shirts), Black and brown penny loafers, and some classic Navy/Red ties. fun times.

ran23

Picked up a few cotton and silk/linen ties for the summer.  BB Makers mainly.  My favorite consignment store is changing hands.  Hope I can still get some good deals there.  

janice21475
1 hour ago, ran23 said:

Picked up a few cotton and silk/linen ties for the summer.  BB Makers mainly.  Ties are a very personal item, glad you found some good matches.  My favorite consignment store is changing hands. I hate it when I get a store all broken in and management changes. Hope I can still get some good deals there.  One thing about it, there are always new ones opening up so you have hope of finding another one that gets content you want. :)

janice21475

One of my favorite 'Thrift' Stores is eBay. It is the only place I know I can shop by Label and find matches. Recently scored 4 terrific housedresses in my favorite brand and style. 4 'nearly new' dresses for the price of one new one. Suits me. Who is gonna know if I don't tell. I never share my favorite style/brand with other shoppers. There is only so much good used stuff, I don't need to make shopping more difficult. :rolleyes:

ran23

On soc Sec, I shop by fit and colour.  Rarely find a top notch brand.  Not that I would even recognize it.   Being an odd size, I love something that fits.    Does your partner believe in used items??   mine doesn't.  

adiantum

A friend of mine will not wear anything thats been pre loved.  Its a hangup she has from childhood where all of her clothes were secondhand .

The op-shop/ thrift store  I used to buy from used to get donations of brand new sheets, towels etc from a store  that didnt sell, plus they got tax relief  for the donations.

The op-shop then sold queen sized sheets   for $3 & towels for $1 each................ Oh dear.. I now  have enough to see me through my life .

macksvicky

I can understand a bit how she feels. But no one would ever know you shopped at a thrift store unless you told them or it was a one of a kind outfit and you happen to run across the original owner. We have a fantastic Goodwill store in town, they sometimes have some great finds. 

adiantum

I used to have a similar aversion to home made clothes. Mother was a wonderful seamtress and made all of my clothes, even knickers.

I'd be so proud to model my new dress only to see there were new cushion covers on the sofa that she'd made out of the left over fabric.

macksvicky

Great priorities! Anyway, after you wear a high price new piece of clothing it's not going to look any different than something you got at a thrift store anyway :) Just a couple of weeks ago I browsed the Goodwill store and got some beautiful serving platters for $1 each, they were in perfect condition and I'm sure they cost a heck of a lot more when new. 

ran23

My favorite consignment store, the salesman bought it from he owner. I have good rapport with both. None of the other used clothes places are worth much to me.  Occasionally I check SA.   my rant for the day. 

janice21475

Sadly, Ran, some areas are 'consignment store' barren. Oddly enough, to me, I have found some terrific stores in out of the way 'back water' towns. I always have my eyes open for 'junk stores.' :D You never know what you might find.