Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Thrift-ing

ran23

I got an invite to a big retirement complex for the holidays.  3 nights of suits and Camel Hair Blazer (Thanksgiving). Still trying to figure out Christmas Morning, maybe full TRAD.

adiantum

ran, I love to read of your thrift shopping. 

Ive not thrift/op shopped in a couple of years, I think my old sideboard in the dining room was my last purchase.

I used to buy & sell on ebay many years ago & still have items I really should find homes for.

My favourite op-shop had great suppliers & of the most unusual things.

Selling those things kept my car  on the road, plus made great gifts.

I still have a few Harley Davidson collectibles which are always received with pleasure at xmas time.

ran23

I really don't want to start selling on line. I know that would handle a lot of what I have though.  or maybe I am seeing value in a lot of my stuff.  life, so much fun..

LaRue
On 1/28/2017 at 6:10 PM, adiantum said:

Ive not thought to look for consignment  stores.

Ive got 5 big garbage bags filled with clothes & household furnishings waiting to be collected today or tomorrow.

Hmmm I'll recover a few pieces  especially the leather items.

Many workers in charity stores sell items on ebay, so I avoid donating to them

How do you know that these employees don't purchase these items for what the store would have charged, then turn around and sell them?

Once someone has bought something, it's theirs to do with what they want.

Or, are you accusing employees of theft of items before they are put out on the floor?

adiantum

No I am not accusing them of theft. They could very well be paying for those items.

I do know some here take what they can sell from donations before they are put out on the floor for the public to buy.

One charity has a policy that items must be on the floor for a full day before a worker can buy, but that doesn't  happen in all stores.

Ive no issue with a worker buying & selling, but I do have an issue if they have first pick of donated items.

It becomes a  conflict of interest.

Edited by adiantum

ran23

Got a great LL Bean lambswool yellow cardigan vest sweater for jacket use.  especially my Navy Blazer.  love buying wool in summer.  Still had inspection tags inside.  $15.00.

adiantum

I was  thinking of the great thrift shopping experiences Ive had recently when I changed the bed clothes to Summer.

I was in an op-shop a few years ago when the manager of a homewears store donated a huge bag containing a set of bed linen.

White embroided white cotton bed cover, 2 white dress pillows &  covers & 2 matching white cushions.

Ooh they were beautiful & even the opshop workers eyes sparkled. I quickly said to her that I'd like to buy them & she replied that they had to be sorted.

I waited in that shop half an hour , so went to the sorting room & asked if they had been sorted yet. She had no intentions of these being sold to anyone but her.

So, I became defiant & said I'd just sit & wait. 

" They are a good brand so  wont be cheap" she said" $35"

Thats OK. I knew they wouldve been over $300 in the store .

This worker snarled, huffed & puffed & stuffed them back in the garbage bag. She was furious.

The only time she relaxed was when I said I'd have to laybye them as I only had $35 on me & the books in my hand.

She became so sweet & kind all of a sudden  that I knew that  bed linen would not be there when I returned with the money.

Better idea I explained. I'll take the bed linen & laybye the books.

Ms Nastypants practically the that bag of linen at me. 

An hour later at the coffee shop, another worker from the op-shop arrived & saw me. She asked if I realised the other worker wanted those for herself?

Hahaha it was so obvious that blind freddy wouldve seen it.

It was a great purchase & many years later they still look & feel luxury.

ran23

Just found a nice Fair Isle Vest in Navy wool, just need a MO to cover the small amount.  I was watching a Navy Cardigan vest for twice as much.  

ran23

I was going thru the closet, found some trousers I bought off the $5.00 rack.  100% wool Tan flannels, and off white cotton chinos, both need hemming.  I am ready for Spring soon.  

adiantum

Ran, you will soon need a walk in closet to  house all your fashion items.

What a great buy at $5 and with  that slim bod it must be a pleasure stepping out in style. 

ran23

Wish I had a slim body, coming up on 64 yrs.  I am thinking, even if I lose a few pounds, I may not lose much around the hips.  lipo?  freeze bags?   life, so much fun. 

Hammer

Myself, I would never go to any thrift store for anything.  I only buy new, and if I have any old clothes or whatever, I just throw them away.  I know that a lot of these so called "charities", collect donated clothes and then try to sell them, instead of giving them to people who need them, so I never donate anything to these thrift stores or charities.  Once, I did take some large bags of my Mom's clothing to a Goodwill drop off container, because my mom asked me to.  That was the only time I have done that, and I'd never do that with anything of mine.  If I have something that I don't want, I'll ask around to my friends and relatives, to see if they want it, and if no one wants it, I'll throw it away.

I don't buy designer anything, I just buy Wrangler jeans, Fruit of the Loom tee shirts, underwear and socks, and New Balance athletic shoes, since they are really comfortable.  I don't care how I look in the clothes I wear, I just want them to be comfortable, which is why I never attend formal events....I don't like wearing a suit or getting dressed up, that's not my thing.

Fortunately for me, since I am a single man, old, fat and grey, I am never invited anywhere, so I never need to get dressed up, and that's fine with me.:)

adiantum

Gosh Hammer....even my house and  dogs are second hand :) 

I like antique to old furniture & furnishings and the only affordable way to get these are at thrift stores or garage sales.

I have 2 pinstriped suits that I keep for weddings and funerals and they were bought new with tags  at a thrift store .

Edited by adiantum

OneEye
On 1/28/2017 at 2:57 PM, ran23 said:

...finally started soc. sec.    life is fun.    

Started SS a few years back. First time I've had an allowance since I was 10. :)

adiantum

Re: Gosh Hammer....even my house and  dogs are second hand :) 

I must add that both ex's were newbies  so perhaps I wouldve had better times if I'd married a 2nd hand man

Hammer
3 hours ago, adiantum said:

I must add that both ex's were newbies  so perhaps I wouldve had better times if I'd married a 2nd hand man

My daughter used to complain that she would date some guy, fix his flaws, then he'd leave and some other girl would marry him.  She got tired of fixing a guy, so that some other woman would get the "fixed" version that she created.  She met a divorced man, and he's the best man she could possibly have married, so there is some truth in what you said.:)

adiantum

Hammer, Ive said it before that you have a very smart daughter.

She figured it out much sooner then I did.

I'll be in my  70's  in a few years B), so its too late for me to learn and try again,just in case I found one that wasn't fixable.