Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Thrift-ing

adiantum

Its Autumn here so I just put on a  pot of soup to celebrate the cooler weather.

Filling the big Rema Ware pot, I remembered what a great find it & others were in the op-shop / thrift store.

Theres a nursing home conected to this op-shop so a new resident mustve donated her cooking treasures.

There was 2 sets of Rena ware stainless steel saucepans plus baking dishes etc ....all for $2 each piece & I bought the lot.

One set of Rena Ware was selling for $700 so it was a huge bargain

adiantum

I had to google Nordstrom... wow ran.. what a great score. 

Those shirts sell at  $100+

ran23

Just got a call from my seamstress, trousers are ready to pick up.   May wear the cords out of their store. 

ran23
On 3/1/2018 at 2:55 PM, adiantum said:

Its Autumn here so I just put on a  pot of soup to celebrate the cooler weather.

Filling the big Rema Ware pot, I remembered what a great find it & others were in the op-shop / thrift store.

Theres a nursing home conected to this op-shop so a new resident mustve donated her cooking treasures.

There was 2 sets of Rena ware stainless steel saucepans plus baking dishes etc ....all for $2 each piece & I bought the lot.

One set of Rena Ware was selling for $700 so it was a huge bargain

finally got around to looking up Rene Ware,   nice!!!

ran23

My first pair of Allen Edmond's Black Cap toe, 9 1/2 E, great fit. with bags and shoe horn.  $42.50

adiantum

Ran, you will soon need your own  walk in dressing room.

You have a keen eye for quality & value. If clothes maketh the man , then you are truly  "The Man"

ran23

Easter morning I put on those tan flannels, too heavy to fit into them today. I had a burgundy shirt in mind and a check sport coat. In reality those didn't work together.    so, tan chinos, brown brogue boots,  TRAD blue shirt and

navy knit tie.   That all worked, except the tan flannels I just had hemmed up.  life goes on. 

funkynassau

I love thrift stores like Goodwill, Missions, Salvation Army etc.  I dont understand why anyone would not shop there or be embarrassed to go there. I especially love half price days.  Missions is having a half price day tomorrow, and I will be there!  I buy all sorts of cool stuff there, including  kids clothes.  Kids grow so fast it's crazy to pay full price for their clothes.  My husband finds tools and "guy stuff" so he likes to go with me.

I go each fall for a few things for my "Mexican wardrobe" as I call it, when we go to Mexico in the winter.  New to me t shirts, pants, jeans etc.  I havent paid retail for clothes in many years.

adiantum

I dont buy clothes  for me in op-shops because I mostly wear jeans & t-shirts  but theyre a great source for cheap & interesting  household goods & furniture

adiantum

I'd never heard of National Tweed Day.. what a pity that it's too hot here to wear it.

It's a beautiful fabric.

LOL @ the corrupt politician reference..who wouldve ever suspected a poli to be corrupt

There is some confusion as to what exactly Tweed Day is commemorating – is it the corrupt American Democratic boss famous for running the Tammany Hall political machine, William M “Boss” Tweed, who also ran the “Tweed Ring” which stole between $30 to $200 million through political corruption in New York, or is it the unique Scottish fabric, usually fashioned into suits, jackets and trousers in patterns such as hounds tooth and herringbone?

The obvious answer would be the Scottish material, although there is no record of April 3rd having any relevance to the origins of Tweed, the mistake that had it named Tweed, or any founders’ birth or death dates as is the usual case with days such as this.

April 3rd does have a special relevance to Boss Tweed though – he was born April 3rd, 1823.

adiantum

I'm planning on selling my house & moving somewhere .

Looking at places that appeal &  what to take with me.'

I googled  op-shops / thrift stores in a town thats looking very attractive...

10 op-shops !!!

tra la la la la.. 

ran23

Well the consignment shop is making room for Spring and selling off jackets at 40% off. Found a corduroy  brown jacket (Izod)that fit without any alterations.   rare.   $15.00US.  

ran23

I watched a guy come into the store, I'm better at guessing sizes now.  I walked out with his Black Chelsea boots, needs a polish soon.  With store credits, I owed $2.18.  good day.   too bad his suits were a size up from me. 

ran23

well.  just won some black Cole Haan horsebit loafers.  if the fit is not there, I'll flip them thru my friend's store.  $9.99 to test. 

ran23

I just won a lot  (10 shirts) of Nordstrom dress shirts.  Probably going to flip them all, got them at a great base price.   Maybe keep 2.  

ran23

the ones I'm keeping are 100% Egyptian Cotton.  Can't find when they were made, not current.  beautiful.

ran23

I saw a Cole Haan Tassel Loafer in an out of the way thrift store.  $5.40.  Will clean them up and see if they are worth keeping.