Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Thrift-ing

meyery2k

Lol - My good cycling friend gifted me some great jerseys and top end shorts (washed of course).  Good kit is expensive.  I never turn down free kit.  The only thing some people might consider awkward is that cycling shorts with the padding ARE the underwear.  You do not wear any underwear beneath them.  So, yeah, it was a another person's underwear but it would have been $300 underwear when it was brand new lol...

adiantum

I used to  op-shop in a rural district twice a week & it's a pity those days arent the same these days , so Ive not returned in years. 

My dogs enjoyed the day running free on the properties we'd visit & while they rested, I'd op-shop.

I've had great success in finding beautiful antiques eg. Clarice  Cliff "Bizarre" bowl & tall vase for $1 each. 

Ive since sold the bowl for $350 & they got a bargain.

My usual purchases were bric-a-brac , antique or old lace  curtains, velvet items etc

Then I'd check out the mens clothing looking for t-shirts depicting rock or  heavy metal  bands for family members.

Whilst there , I'd see designer label items or particular sports  gear so cheap that I couldnt afford not to buy them.

I mustve bought & sold a dozen cyclist shirts. Paid $2 ea & sold $20ea & now I regret  not buying the shorts if they sell at that price:D

ran23

After losing weight, gaining weight, gaining 38"->40 chest, I have a Brooks Bros Navy suit coming next week.  40-short, 2 piece. ebay  Even retired, I felt I needed a go-to dark suit for anything that may come up. Even with the current SARS-CoVid, not going anywhere, but I am ready.  

Edited by ran23
additions

Dowling
On 1/9/2021 at 6:23 PM, meyery2k said:

Lol - My good cycling friend gifted me some great jerseys and top end shorts (washed of course).  Good kit is expensive.  I never turn down free kit.  The only thing some people might consider awkward is that cycling shorts with the padding ARE the underwear.  You do not wear any underwear beneath them.  So, yeah, it was a another person's underwear but it would have been $300 underwear when it was brand new lol...

Yes but they are not really underwear and they'd be very uncomfortable with briefs under them. They do wash well and that would make them good to wear.

My son has some of those riding shorts and moisture wicking jerseys too and I know how expensive they are. They go in my washing machine on delicate when he's here and then are hung on the clothesline to dry and come out perfect

adiantum

The suit sounds great Ran. Lets hope its only happy times that you get to wear it.

An ebay item I bought mid November arrived yesterday,

The tracking # indicated it had cleared Hong Kong, so I didnt stress knowing it had been posted.

They are having political unrest , so I'm just lucky it arrived while feeling empathy for their sellers.

ran23

At least ebay is clear about where it is coming from.  Amazon didn't tell me until I bought an item, and got a e-packet # from China or Taiwan. 

ran23

Because I outgrew my favorite Uniqlo grey windbreaker, gifted it to my Niece.  treated myself to another.  ebay

ran23

I am short on brown shoes, so some A&E Brown lace-ups with rubber soles.  Nice walking shoes from ebay. 

adiantum

Good scores ran.

end of last summer I bought a pr of Diana ferrari's on sale from an  up market store.

Great bargian I thought.. reduced from $175 to $90

But...Ive worn sneakers for so long that  I felt uneasy in heels, as if I'd need a walking stick lol.

I didnt know anyone else that wanted them so donated to  the local op-shop.

I saw them in that store today... one shoe on display with the other still wrapped in tissue & in the shoebox..

with a $30 sticker on them .

Someone will get a bargain & thats the beauty of op-shopping.

adiantum

Last October I bought a 20piece dinner set online  for the xmas table. Red & black to match the red table cloth & black placemats.

It arrived with 2 dinner plates broken because it was upright instead of flat.

I rang the store & they wanted proof so  gave me a reply paid code.

I taped all the pieces to cardboard  with warning stickers to protect the recipient & got it in the next mail.

No word from them after 2 weeks so I rang.. they denied receipt.

I let it go as by then it was the busy xmas period & I just returned the broken pieces  & maybe they expected the full set & it was only $40.

February they emailed apologising for the delay & requested I ring the refunds dept with my bank details.

Their next replies claimed those numbers wernt correct ( BS ) &  said to ring again.

By this time I'm fed up with it assuming the cost of the plates to be just $2, but annoyed at their procedures. 

I emailed my bank no's & told them to deal with it.

Exactly 6 months after the purchase I was refunded the full $40................. ooops

Next years christmas table might be green but I wont go through that again.