Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Pizza

Hammer

I don't cook my cauliflower, or broccoli, or pretty much any other vegetable, I just eat it raw. :)

Patricia, there are many factors that can affect your glucose levels.  One factor is that your insulin resistance changes throughout the day.  That means that if you ate a slice of orange in the morning, you'd get one glucose reading.  If you ate the same slice of orange in the evening, you'd get a different glucose reading.  If you were stressed and ate a slice of orange, you'd get yet another glucose reading.  Different times of day = different insulin resistance = different glucose readings.

Another factor....if you ate a low carb diet for a few months, that might have given your pancreas a rest, since it wouldn't have needed to produce as much insulin.  Giving your pancreas a rest may allow it to produce more insulin if it's needed, so if you were to eat something with a lot of carbs, your rested pancreas might be able to produce enough insulin to handle those extra carbs FOR THAT DAY, but it won't be able to continually produce enough insulin if you kept eating that high carb food.  Your pancreas's ability to produce enough insulin to handle that high carb food is only temporary.  It may last for more than one day, but it won't last forever.

Another factor is exercise.  If you woke up, then had a slice of orange for breakfast, you'd get one glucose reading.  If you were out grocery shopping, brought the groceries home, carried them up two flights of stairs, put them away, then ate a slice of orange, you'd get a different glucose reading.

As for any of the "diabetic recipe cookbooks", unless someone here knows of a good one, most of them are garbage.  It seems that they all adhere to the American Diabetes Association's guidelines of eating 5 small meals a day, each meal containing 60 carbs....for a total of 300 carbs a day.  If you eat that many carbs a day, you will suffer severe complications at some point down the road.  Most of us here try to eat the fewest carbs per day that we can live with.  Myself, I try to eat less than 50 carbs a day.  Others here try to eat less than 30 carbs a day, while others here try to eat less than 100 carbs a day.  You need to find out what the least amount of carbs you can eat per day that will satisfy you, but won't elevate your glucose levels.  That amount of carbs is different for each of us.

In my case, I use insulin instead of using oral diabetes meds.  Using insulin gives me a lot of leeway as to what I can eat, but I still try to eat less than 50 carbs a day, because the more carbs I eat, the more insulin I'd have to take, and doing that can lead to severe hypos.(low blood sugar).  For example, yesterday, I went to Lowe's, then Home Depot, then Dick's Sporting Goods, looking for a particular item (none of them had it.)  As I was heading home, I passed an all-you-can buffet restaurant that I frequent.  I hadn't planned on eating lunch there, so I didn't have my insulin with me, but I decided to stop in anyway.  I like this place because of the large selection of foods they offer, many of which are diabetic friendly.  I ate my usual seasoned broccoli, seasoned green beans, baby carrots, some meatloaf, some pulled pork, and some kind of white, generic fish.  I had water to drink.  When I got home, I immediately tested my BG levels and it was at 163....way too high for me (I rarely go over 120).  I immediately took a corrective shot of insulin, and 90 minutes later, I was down to 88, which is where I usually am.  Now the thing is, I knew how much insulin to take since I've been in the 160's before, but had I eaten their mashed potatoes, their mac-n-cheese, their corn, bread, or other high carb foods, I would have spiked to well over 300.  Spiking that high would mean that I would have needed to take a lot more insulin, but not knowing how high I would ultimately spike to (different foods take longer to be digested and released as glucose), I could easily have taken too much insulin, which would have sent my glucose levels too low.  This is why it's a bad idea to eat lots of carbs, then try to cover them with lots of insulin, and why I try to eat less than 50 carbs a day. :)

Carol_42

I thought I posted a reply to the Fat Head Pizza link, but I can't find it so I'm starting a new post, lol. I made the fat head pizza dough and added the toppings and it tasted horrible! The dough wasn't the right consistency for a pizza .. too flaky. It was awful and i ended up just eating the toppings. I love Pizza Hut pizzas and think I might try eating just 1/2 of the small personal size, then check to see what it does to my BS.

I checked the label on the Hershey's dark chocolate and the sugar content was very high. What about eating one square once in a while?

Also my doctor told me to avoid fruit, but I had one small slice of orange with my breakfast and the BS was no higher than when I didn't include the orange slice. Rather than omit our favorite things, has anyone had success with cutting portions dramatically??

About a week ago I made the FatHead Crackers: same recipe as pizza, different shape.  I was not impressed at all with the flavor or consistency.  Plus it's all cheese and cheese is constipating.  It's a "boo" for me. 

ant hill

dh is dear husband. Around here the drug chains carry the dark chocolate bars, at least, my local CVS does, they have the 70, 85 & 90 % chocolates, I would suggest starting off with the 70 or 75%, & work your way up.

Ahh Chocolate, as soon we talk about that wonderful brown stuff, we think of Carbs!!! Whell it's time to think smart MoonPie as I like what you think by having the 70% and up. I have discovered Powded chocolate and yes it's around 80% as I get hot water just enough to make the liquid, then add the cream. Would that be Low Carb? BTW I have it cold, you folks can have it hot. Suppose you could do the same with the block 80% & up chocky too.

funkynassau

I cant eat normal pizza, tho I'd love to fall face first into a large one with my fave toppings!  My best luck has been to make a crust with cauliflower and tho it's a fair bit of work, damn it's good!  Google for a recipe.

meyery2k

Ahh Chocolate, as soon we talk about that wonderful brown stuff, we think of Carbs!!! Whell it's time to think smart MoonPie as I like what you think by having the 70% and up. I have discovered Powded chocolate and yes it's around 80% as I get hot water just enough to make the liquid, then add the cream. Would that be Low Carb? BTW I have it cold, you folks can have it hot. Suppose you could do the same with the block 80% & up chocky too.

Peter - I often use Hershey's Cocoa from the tin.  They also, at least in the United States, make a SF chocolate syrup but it has a few more carbs than the powder.

I put 1 Tbsp of Heavy Whipping cream in a cup.  Add 1 Tbsp of cocoa.  Mix well.  Since you are mixing 2 fats at this point, the cocoa will mix much easier than if you add it after the water.  Within a minute you will have a syrup if mixing the cream and powder.

I like to use a pinch of salt, a small amount of vanilla extract, and sometimes a small amount of peppermint extract.  I top with almond milk but I have also used hot water to make a hot cocoa beverage.  Mix well and sweeten to taste.

Almost every morning I have chocolate "milk" diabetic or not :)

Diabetes doesn't always win ;)

William V

I cant eat normal pizza, tho I'd love to fall face first into a large one with my fave toppings! My best luck has been to make a crust with cauliflower and tho it's a fair bit of work, damn it's good! Google for a recipe.

I just tried a new idea for pizza that was similar to a egg frittata for the base. It was very yummy! And less prep than a cauliflower crust. You do the egg frittata with just eggs and herb seasonings. Scrape the egg mix to the centre of the frying pan without folding it. Once cooked to the point with some liquid left on it and is nearly done add your chopped vegetables, like tomatoes, guacamole, onions etc. into the skillet and pop the skillet into the oven. The oven set it for 425 F. The skillet has to be oven safe. Very filling and low carb.

ant hill

Peter - I often use Hershey's Cocoa from the tin.  They also, at least in the United States, make a SF chocolate syrup but it has a few more carbs than the powder.

I put 1 Tbsp of Heavy Whipping cream in a cup.  Add 1 Tbsp of cocoa.  Mix well.  Since you are mixing 2 fats at this point, the cocoa will mix much easier than if you add it after the water.  Within a minute you will have a syrup if mixing the cream and powder.

I like to use a pinch of salt, a small amount of vanilla extract, and sometimes a small amount of peppermint extract.  I top with almond milk but I have also used hot water to make a hot cocoa beverage.  Mix well and sweeten to taste.

Almost every morning I have chocolate "milk" diabetic or not :)

Diabetes doesn't always win ;)

I would love that meeyery2k :) and leave alone the Bolus pen

Pizza I may have for dinner and do a bridge Bolus too. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.