Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBigNewt

What the heck is a Type 1.5 diabetic anyway?

Fraser

No wrong!

You words are still offensive.

Most of us on this site follow the LCHF way of eating to help control our diabetes. Do you incourage your t2 patients to explore this option or do you present them only with the ADA guidelines?

Cora

Ok, so you've progressed from call us all trolls to that age old standby of fat-shaming. And accusing T2s of eating frootloops and causing their diabetes rather than the genetically induced metabolic disorder that it is. I won't bother posting a recent article about how shaming can very often be detrimental to people's health (as someone in cardiology you should understand the relationship between blood pressure, stress, and health).

You are not a credit to your profession.

TheBigNewt

No wrong!

You words are still offensive.

Most of us on this site follow the LCHF way of eating to help control our diabetes. Do you incourage your t2 patients to explore this option or do you present them only with the ADA guidelines?

I don't treat diabetes. I made that clear. Maybe you missed that.

Ok, so you've progressed from call us all trolls to that age old standby of fat-shaming. And accusing T2s of eating frootloops and causing their diabetes rather than the genetically induced metabolic disorder that it is. I won't bother posting a recent article about how shaming can very often be detrimental to people's health (as someone in cardiology you should understand the relationship between blood pressure, stress, and health).

You are not a credit to your profession.

I didn't call you all trolls. I did no "fat shaming" (whatever that is). And the passage you shamed me about is obviously sarcastic. Obviously this forum is not my style. I was only trying to maybe help a few people out here and there. I'm outta here seeya.

adiantum

I doubted the former from the beginning.

But to be on the safe side, if I was in Arizona & needed a cardiologist, I'd be on  alert for one with attitude.

meyery2k

Hmmm...  I clearly remember his signature having the statement that he was a physician.

To give the benefit of the doubt, it is possible someone has hijacked his username and password and this might not even be the original poster.

adiantum

post #8 in A very different journey with Type1

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:13 AM
TheBigNewt

I'm both a Type 1 AND a medical person,so I see it from both sides. I know, there are people who are under good control taking NPH and regular instead of Lantus/Novolog like me, but the reason most endos rx that is it probably works better for MOST people (like me). I tried NPH at the beginning and it just didn't work. Why? Because it peaks twice a day. The OP PacificIslander didn't mention what she uses wrt insulin, but I assume it's not Lantus or a pump, so it's probably NPH etc. And I've read posts saying they think doctors get freebies and kickbacks for prescribing the expensive stuff but that's garbage trust me. And Lantus just went generic a couple weeks ago so hopefully the price will come down (eventually).

Fraser

And there are just some people out there who crave attention, but can't deal with criticism or being caught in a lie. /; - )

Fraser

Sorry one eye silly analogy.

Diabetes to me is a very serious subject,

Every carb I eat , every med I don't take and every Mile I run is in tthe hope to continue to be healthy,

Nothing more nothing less

adiantum

Are you OK Moon?

Thats not the usual hat you wear.

Chill out.......... I wish. Its 40.7C / 105F & rising but now I have the worry that my friend Moon is having issues.

Chill out peeps. Go kick the garbage bin. 

OneEye

Sorry one eye silly analogy.

Diabetes to me is a very serious subject,

Every carb I eat , every med I don't take and every Mile I run is in tthe hope to continue to be healthy,

Nothing more nothing less

Laughter, the best medicine.

~Reader's Digest

Fraser

I am more of a Nike guy, "just do it"

Which is fine,

Just my approach to life, i am not an enabler.

So if I don't fit into your group, that's ok.

Onward and upward

Thanks, Fraser

DeusXM

It's akin to "pre-diabetic", which refers to someone who isn't a diabetic, but may get diabetes someday (or not), whose doctor probably scares them into losing weight and exercising and to stop eating ice cream or else they'll have to start poking themselves with needles and spend their money on Januvia instead of Fruit Loops. Right? 

No, it's not.

Pre-diabetes is someone who is at risk of T2 but has a possibility of preventing it with some dietary and lifestyle modifications.

T1.5 is a progressive form of autoimmune diabetes, which cannot be prevented, that for the first few years will have an entirely different treatment protocol to either T1 or T2. People with T1.5 will often end up on a mix of traditional T1 and T2 treatments.

It's not about 'selling another book', it's about finding the right treatment for each person. Insulin as a frontline treatment to T1.5 can be inappropriate as that person will still be producing insulin (unlike a T1), which may mean even a basal injection of 1u could be enough to send that person into hypos all day long. Similarly, metformin also doesn't always work as a frontline T1.5 treatment because the patient doesn't have an issue with insulin resistance.

Many T1.5s are, at the point of diagnosis, assumed to be T2s and don't respond well to their initial treatment. Greater understanding of T1.5 by the medical profession might mean more T1.5s get the right treatment more quickly, instead of the all-too-common horror stories regularly posted by T1.5s of having to argue for months to get different treatments after months of high blood sugars, caused by doctors prescribing them inappropriate treatments for the wrong condition.

On an entirely separate note I am now regretting drawing attention to your background, as this seems to be drawing out hostility from both yourself and others here. 

In the meantime, if you have any further questions about T1.5, instead of making assumptions I suggest you start by reading the Wikipedia page for some basic background information - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_autoimmune_diabetes_of_adults

Moonpie

Are you OK Moon?

Thats not the usual hat you wear.

Chill out.......... I wish. Its 40.7C / 105F & rising but now I have the worry that my friend Moon is having issues.

I'm fine, I just thought some of the posts were a bit cranky.  ( or hostility as Deus mentioned) No offense to anyone intended. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.