Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kooka

Moving on to being a vegetarian

kooka

Due to the horrible conditions and abuse of food animals I have decided to cut chicken, fish and pork from my diet. I am eating pasture raised farm eggs and butter until I can find a substitute.

The issue is as follows: Because of my thyroid problem I am severely limited on how much soy I can eat. Starch of any kind and beans, quinoa etc. spikes my sugar so I need ideas to be sure I get my protein requirements daily.

Due to the horrible conditions and abuse of food animals I have decided to gradually cut chicken, fish and pork from my diet. I am eating pasture raised farm eggs and butter until I can find a substitute.

The issue is as follows: Because of my thyroid problem I am severely limited on how much soy I can eat. Starch of any kind and beans, quinoa etc. spikes my sugar so I need ideas to be sure I get my protein requirements daily.

adiantum

Barb, that abuse is a great concern to me also. Its me that I have to live with & I couldn't do that if I caused that fear or  agony to an animal.

I  was vegetarian for years but have resumed to my childhood diet of mainly pescetarian. 

I only buy green prawns /shrimp knowing they  would've shut down in the freezing before dying.

Prawns/shrimp scream when dropped live into boiling water, so I wont support that industry.

I do eat butter, cream & cheese, & regret supporting that trauma the cow mustve suffered having her babies taken away from her, just so humans can have her milk.

I feed my dogs on chicken but only from RSPCA approved farming standards.

I can only recommend you check the protein of you preferred nuts

Kit

There may be a couple of options.

Hemp - Some sources say it is a complete protein, some say its close, but not quite but can be combined with nuts.  For 1oz servings size of Hemp Hearts, there are 4g iof carbs (2g fiber) and 9g of protein.

Chia Seeds are also supposed to contain complete proteins.  More carbs for a 1oz serving (12g with 10g fiber) and contain 5g of protein.

NoraWI

Of course, you can do as you wish. But there are available sources for humanely raised and slaughtered animals. I raise beef and chickens and they have a wonderful life. I also avoid soy products and it has not been a difficult thing to do. Your choice is your choice, but I take issue with a blanket statement like that.

carfree

I second hemp seeds. If you are not opposed to slightly more processed foods, there are great vegan protein powders with no soy and low carbs.

Moonpie

We have a vegetarian meal several times a month, I like Quorn rounds, it is like ground beef, I make a shepherds pie with it. I belive it is fungus/mushroom based. You can use it the same way as ground beef, ie for tacos, meat pies, soup, etc. Try & find a neighbor who sells eggs, who have happy chickens. Some meat producers treat their animals well, look for one.  

eta:  http://www.quorn.us/

kooka

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out. I also do not eat beef. Where I live there is no access to humanely raised animals. Kroger in my area just started carrying the Vital brand eggs from chickens which are allotted 102 square feet of outdoor natural life. Everyone makes their own choice and this is mine. I had a veggy omelet this morning so that is almost 1/3 of the protein for the day. I'll be going to the store this afternoon and let you know what I get.

Happy to say my son informed me they are going to raise chickens this year for eggs. Yeahhh

jwags

I buy the VEGA brand of protein powder. I get mine at Costco but WF has it at a higher price. It is made from pea protein, hemp seeds and a lot of green powders. It is sweetened with stevia. I use the Beyond Beef brand of veggie burgers and meat replacement. THey are made with pea protein not soy. I do eat a little soy since my breast cancer is not hormone related. From what I understand real soy like tofu is OK but stay ay from proc seed soy. I would ask your Endo. I eat a lot of nuts, seeds and nut butters to get protein. I did add back organic Greek yogurt and I am thinking of adding cage free rangw organic eggs back. The only non vegetsrian thing Imest is the

Great Lakes Collagen powder. It is a good source of protein for me and I stir it into my morning tea. It is made from organic cattle. mY daughter has been a vegan for the past 20 years. The hardest thing for me was giving up cheese, but my stomach problems resolved themselves over night,

meyery2k

Barbara - Please post how this works out.  I must admit that, at this time, I have no interest in going vegan or vegetarian but I actually have adopted the idea of eating one meatless meal a day (usually at night).  That has now become habit.

I find that helps shave a few points off my fasting reading and I tend to sleep a little better.

I use tofu, nuts, and cheeses for protein

I am curious to see your feedback because I find myself doing lots of things now that I said I would never do (like running).

While I don't foresee entirely cutting out all meat maybe I can cut it down some more.

kooka

Well I did find gmo free, organic red lettuce,head lettuce,apples,and red peppers. It's a start. Also....gmo organic sunflower seeds, Earth Balance gmo free organic peanut butter,Not-Chick'n broth seasoning. Quotn soy free, gmo free meatless pesto and mozzarella chicken cutlets, also Quorn meatless soy frer non gmo sausage links and last but not least Boca spicy chicken veggy patties. We shall see. Monsanto eat my dust!!

kooka

It's a personal choice meyery. Do your reasearch and watch Food Inc. on youtube. That did it for me. It's not for everyone and I get a lot of flack but olie wellie gimme another salad. Lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.