Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Belly fat

PatriciaJ

I read an article online that stated belly fat plays a role in diabetes. That a man who has a waistline of 40 or above and a woman who has a waistline of 35 or above would benefit from losing the fat in that area. And the only way to achieve that goal is low carb, high protein, and reduced fatty foods coupled with high intensity work outs in addition to walking, jogging, or swimming. Has anyone else heard this?

TX_Clint

Almost, I see it as Low carb high fat and keeping the protein at a reasonable level. I try to keep my protein at about 100g per day and my carbs at about 30g per day. The rest of my calories come from fat. Most of that fat is from coconut oil, olive oil and butter, plus whatever fat is with the protein. I do not reduce fatty foods at all. Stay away from low fat anything except natural foods. When my bg numbers get jacked up it can most always be traced back to a protein heavy meal resulting in a high fasting reading from dawn phenomenon. 

They are correct that loosing belly fat will help you control your blood sugar. Limiting carbohydrates will help you keep control of your blood sugar and help you loose the weight.

meyery2k

I have read that.  I would point out that there are many "skinny" people that develop type 2 diabetes and many obese people that never develop it.  There does seem to be a correlation but it is not a guaranteed one.

When I was first diagnosed, my waist size was 44 and the doctor did comment that if I could lose 5% of my body weight (roughly 15 pounds) that I would have an easier time with diabetes.

I have more than done that and, yes, my diabetes is proving relatively easy to manage.  I am not sure that the weight loss alone is responsible.  I suspect the improved diet and exercise play large roles. 

One interesting theory is that obesity may be a result of excess insulin rather than simply eating too much or other commonly thought causes.  This is why we stress that insulin levels need to be taken under consideration.  Insulin is not the "magic bullet" that non-diabetics assume it is.  Yes, I could eat half a cheesecake and inject insulin to counter that but it still comes with a price.  While I am being a bit ludicrous, I do know some people that do exactly that.  They use insulin as a type of free pass not really understanding how it actually works and what role it plays in the body.

I am not at all sure that Dr. Attia is correct or not but it is certainly a compelling topic (at least to me)...

kooka

I think they are graspiong at straws myself. Almmost all my family has/had diabetes and non of them were overweight. My mom only weighed 110 and she had it. If it were a case of fat alone most of the folks I know would never have got it including my 6'3 muscular Air Force brother.

meyery2k

Barbara - I would agree.  My doctor admits that they have no idea why people become diabetic.  He believes there are thousands of reasons.  Sure, I can say that losing weight helped me with my diabetes due to observation, but that would be a biased observation.

Who is to say that my radically different diet or greatly increased exercise are the true factors?  I am not going to stop any one of the 3 to see that's for sure.

For those that have been obese like me, my doctor did make an observation that I was not only fat externally but my organs would also happily store fat.  Especially the liver.  He believes it is possible the fat might have been mucking up the pancreas and liver which, as we know, are key players in the body's energy management.  He believes it is even possible that the excess fat can interfere with the uptake on glucose on a cellular lever which would explain why losing a little weight helps some of us greatly.

He then closes with the statement that nobody really knows and emphasizes to just keep doing what I am doing.  The important thing is that it is working for me.

Living organisms are incredibly complex designs, that is all I can say with certainty.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.