Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

ChocoPerfection

PatriciaJ

Has anyone tried ChocoPerfection chocolate bars? They're available on Amazon for $22.95 (6 bars). Listed as sugar free with erythritol as the sweetening agent. Box of 6 bars = 1 dark, 2 dark mint, 1 milk, 1 dark raspberry, and one dark almond. They are between 1-3 net carbs for each bar. I would probably not even eat a whole bar. Just a piece now and then.. Seems like a good alternative choice for a pre-diabetic or diabetic. (?)

TX_Clint

Sounds good to me. One would think they wouldn't have much if any effect on your BG. However, please test before and after. Let us know what you think if you try one... or two. :)

meyery2k

Patricia - Great job.  You are clearly doing your homework! :)

I would say order them and try them.  Test diligently.  The chances are good that the erythritol will have little, if any effect on your glucose.

While sugar alcohols are advertised as being free passes some people find that is not the case.  Especially one called maltitol.  Testing is encouraged for this reason.

If you overindulge, you will also find yourself with an upset stomach.  My daughter and her friends found that out the hard way when the busted into my NSA ice cream thinking it was a free pass calorie wise (which it actually isn't).

PatriciaJ

Hey Meyery,  I bought Murray Sugar Free Shortbread Cookies at the market a few days ago and I like them:) 8 cookies contain 22 grams of carbohydrate, but I only eat 2 or 3 at a time, so that would be like 3-6 carbs.  I just saw your comment on maltitol and these cookies contain it. I haven't had any upset stomach from them though.. Thanks for the advice.

meyery2k

Patricia - You are clearly finding your path.  Great to see!  The "ice cream" incident was when they consumed most of the carton between them in one sitting while watching horror movies lol...

PatriciaJ

Thanks Mike,  I was first diagnosed with pre-diabetes 2 years ago, but couldn't or didn't want to believe it. The first A1C in May 2016 was 6.1 the a retest in June was 5.9, so I thought it was improving due to just omitting sugar to cereals and cutting out pastries etc. Then in November, I expected it to go down, but I was shocked to see the A1C go up to 6.2!! That's when I started to get serious about my problem and started searching online for more information. I still feel overwhelmed by the info, but I'm glad I found this site with so many nice people giving great advice and suggestions :) I just looked in the freezer to check the ingredients of a Breyers No Sugar Added vanilla ice cream and it also has maltitol in it and 13 carbs in 1/2 cup. When I do indulge, I usually only have maybe a 1/4 cup. I really am trying to make changes, but when I see commercials showing tasty treats or movies where people are eating spaghetti, sometimes I feel sorry for myself and cry. Then I feel guilty because I know people around the world are suffering from profound horrific tragedies. Thanks again for your advice and support. 

Barnette84

My sister was upset because she was having cramping and diarrhea every night for a week.  She thought it was because her doctor had just switched one of her meds.  Then it occurred to me, so I asked her if she had been eating the Atkins Peanut M&M's which contain Maltitol.  She told me that she was eating TWO servings every night.  That's 30 grams of sugar alcohols.....an amount that would send me to the ER.  I believe my limit is 10 grams, over that and I suffer for it.  I'm not sure if erythritol has the same laxative effect, but it certainly is a healthier choice than maltitol.

Seagal

Erythritol does not have the laxative effect of malitol, thank heavens!  I use it in baking and there is no b.g. increase.

I remember a gal on another forum that had to quit buying Choco Perfection because they were sooooo delicious!

I must make some fat bombs so I don't buy ChocoPerfection :D

Yesterday I whipped cream cheese, whipping cream s.f. hazlenut syrup and unsweetened cocoa powder.  Dropped on cookie sheet and froze them so we could have a treat after dinner.  Very good even without the cocoa.

Kit

I've seen the product advertised on some low carb web sites.  I've not tried them myself though.

Fat bombs are so easy to make and I have loved the recipes I've tried so far.  I also tend to use the Davinci SF syrups to sweeten as they also allow me to add in some flavors that would be too high in carbs to get otherwise.  Like English Toffee with cocoa powder in my fat bombs.  :D

Though I do have to admit, after having done lchf for close to three years now, I just don't desire the stuff and usually only indulge a few times a year.

Seagal

After 14 years, I still like the treats I can come up with, I have the "Fat Bomb" cook book and find it interesting to have not only the sweet ones, but the savory.  Hubby has been so kind to go along with my experiments, some of which were not successful :D

Funny, saying 14 years, it just happened in December.

On another forum, Adapt products by Eric Westman were mentioned.  They are very low carb and the one I looked at didn't have sugar alcohol.  They also had Coffee Shots which would be nice on a road trip if you don't have cream available.

meyery2k

One of my favorite lunches (I have never been much of a snacker) has become salami with a little cheddar cheese on top and a deli slice jalapeno.  I have tried the microwae and broiling for 3 minute and I like how they come out of the broiler a little better.  Hard to describe why but something with the texture.

I then top each with a dab of mayonnaise and mustard.

I have also done this with a mushroom in lieu of the jalapeno.

Carol_42

I've seen the product advertised on some low carb web sites.  I've not tried them myself though.

Fat bombs are so easy to make and I have loved the recipes I've tried so far.  I also tend to use the Davinci SF syrups to sweeten as they also allow me to add in some flavors that would be too high in carbs to get otherwise.  Like English Toffee with cocoa powder in my fat bombs.  :D

Though I do have to admit, after having done lchf for close to three years now, I just don't desire the stuff and usually only indulge a few times a year.

Kit ... Have you tried using essential oils to flavor your fat bombs?  I'm seriously considering it.  I bookmarked scads of bombs and look forward to trying them.  I'm not craving sweets just yet, but I'm sure I will be.  I think I'll play around and try to make lemon pie fat bombs, heavy whip cream and all.  Every corner I turn in Keto, is a new discovery.  Maybe I'll find some gold.  :)  ... CB

meyery2k

CB - I suspect you will find platinum lol...

I can honestly say I eat much better meals quality wise now that I have dropped all the starches and convenience food.  I have learned how to actually prepare food and seasoning.

While I am sure an Emeril Lagasse or Gordon Ramsay would not be impressed with what I do, I please myself and my family.

I have made some SF desserts and taken them to parties.  They don't last too long so they must be good.

PatriciaJ

Hi all,  I received the ChocoPerfection chocolate bars from Amazon today. So far I tried a few bites of the dark chocolate and it was delicious!! The saturated fat content is a little high, but low carb and sugar and gluten free. Have some fiber too. No effect on blood sugars:) Really satisfies the sweet and chocolate cravings.. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.