Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

Vitamin D & Diabetes

jwags

I tried to get my doctor to test my bit D levels and he said Medicare would not pay for it. We live in a area with very little sun in the winter time. I just take Vit D as a precaution. Now they did check magnesium levels and they were low.

kooka

Even though we spend time in the sun our bodies no longer absorb enough of it. I take a D3. 2000 once a day. My son also takes it as he works indoors a lot.

Moonpie

I tried to get my doctor to test my bit D levels and he said Medicare would not pay for it. We live in a area with very little sun in the winter time. I just take Vit D as a precaution. Now they did check magnesium levels and they were low.

I had a vit D test & either medicare or my supplement paid for it, what they would not cover, was the cost of the prescription Vit D I had to take, so I paid out of pocket for that. Now I take otc D, to try & keep the levels up.

Kit

I've had my vitamin D and B12 levels checked a few times since I was diagnosed.  Both are at the high end of normal and I live in cloudy rainy Seattle.

Carol_42

Thank you Everybody for your comments.  I'm on my 2nd prescription of (8) Vit D2 1.25 MG 50,000.  I take two a week.  I've never heard of taking Vit D this way.  Usually I just take a OTC D3 supplement with my Calcium.  The doctor told me I should feel better after I complete these supplements.

adiantum

I thank you for reminding me to get my Rx filled for 50,000 ..

.Ive had the Rx for a long time & not bothered to get it filled because not all chemists here have it & tramping around the city in this heat isnt a priority ..

Ive been having awful pain in the arms lately where even getting dressed is a challenge...........this could be Vit D deficiency.

Moonpie

Thank you Everybody for your comments.  I'm on my 2nd prescription of (8) Vit D2 1.25 MG 50,000.  I take two a week.  I've never heard of taking Vit D this way.  Usually I just take a OTC D3 supplement with my Calcium.  The doctor told me I should feel better after I complete these supplements.

Yes when I had the prescription, it was one pill, once a week. 

Lee, get that medication, call first to see who has it.

kooka

When my D levels showed low on my blood work I was prescribed 2 weeks of the 50,000 once a day also after which I started on the 2000 once a day and have been on them now for two years.

Carol_42

I thank you for reminding me to get my Rx filled for 50,000 ..

.Ive had the Rx for a long time & not bothered to get it filled because not all chemists here have it & tramping around the city in this heat isnt a priority ..

Ive been having awful pain in the arms lately where even getting dressed is a challenge...........this could be Vit D deficiency.

I just recently learned that a Vitamin D supplement is essential to pre & full diabetics.  I always thought 10-15 minutes of sun in the morning was sufficient.  I also just learned yesterday that diabetes can cause Alzheimer's.  I never knew that.  I've always been a healthy person and loaded with energy, so I'm going through my angry stage right now.  I keep telling myself to lose 50 lbs. and then all these diseases will go away.  I hope I'm right.

Anyway, I'm glad I did some good here at this forum by reminding you to refill your Vitamin D.  Do you have a good cream or lotion to massage on your arms?  Last night I got a bad Charlie-horse in my left foot.  Right way I put on the copper calf belt.  But then I remembered the concoction of essential oils in carrier oil that I use to spray on and massage in the bottoms of my feet.  And voila! the cramps went away.  I used a combination of Marjoram, Frankincense, & Peppermint.  But you can use just about any essential oil in carrier oil and just massage it on your painful area.

I know I kind of went off topic but I have experienced the rewards of using essential oils and I wanted to share that with you.  They work.  Check out Amazon.  Read the reviews and ask questions.  People always respond.  They love to talk about the healing properties in oils, which are plants and roots, given to us by God.  And I hope you get your prescription of D filled soon and that you feel better.

BTW, the reason why my feet cramped was because I did a bad thing yesterday and the day before.  I ate a variety of peppermint ice cream cones during the day and near bed time.  And, ironically, the only time I get cramping is when I eat the wrong foods.  I learned this long before I got diagnosed with pre-diabetes.

I hope my rattling on is not offensive to you.

CB

Seagal

Lack of magnesium can cause leg cramps and as with D3, is easy to rectify.

A great little book on magnesium deficiency is Dr. Carolyn Dean's Miracle of Magnesium.

Alas, just losing 50 pounds won't always make everything go away, sure will help, but adjusting your diet is one of the best things a diabetic can do for their health (besides oral meds and insulin).

jwags

They did decide to test my magnesium last month and alas I was low. I had already been supplementing with magnesium, so my ONC told me to double it. I will ask my Endo about testing me for Vit D. I do take 2500 iu a day but maybe I should take more. Simce going thru chemo I would guess I am probably low on everything.

Kit

The chemo likely messes with just about everything.  I know my mom is just now getting her hemoglobin and iron levels back into the normal range.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.