Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

One Touch Delica Lancing Device_Help!

Carol_42
One Touch Delica Lancing Device 1 Each (Pack of 3)

Price
$58.53

I'm at Walmart online getting ready to place my order for the Relion Meter and test strips.  Now I'm stuck on lancing devices.  The One Touch Delica has been recommended by several people at this forum and so that's what I am looking at.

What I want to know is this.  How many times can you use one lancet device?  Three of them are about $60.00.  And I don't see a 30 or 33 gauge marking on the advertised boxes.

And why is it not wise to test fasting on a Relion meter?

Desperately confused and frustrated in California

NoraWI

Not a Once Touch Delica, but I have been using my One Touch lancing device that came with my Animas insulin pump for almost 7 years. I have used other devices long term also, switching only when this one came with my Ping. Nothing has ever happens to my device. Depending upon what your habits are, maybe an extra one is good to have if you are prone to losing things. And $60 is way too much to pay. It is nothing but a piece of plastic with a spring in it. I have no idea about your question about fasting tests on a Relion meter. Someone else will likely come around soon and can answer your questions better.

Carol_42

One Touch Delica Lancing Device 1 Each (Pack of 3)

Price
$58.53

I'm at Walmart online getting ready to place my order for the Relion Meter and test strips.  Now I'm stuck on lancing devices.  The One Touch Delica has been recommended by several people at this forum and so that's what I am looking at.

What I want to know is this.  How many times can you use one lancet device?  Three of them are about $60.00.  And I don't see a 30 or 33 gauge marking on the advertised boxes.

And why is it not wise to test fasting on a Relion meter?

Desperately confused and frustrated in California

This is BS.  The site won't let me in to edit my own submission.  And, yes, I was logged in.

I just went to Amazon and found the following:  One Touch Delica 30 gauge Lancets 100 count  $10.30.  I don't see anywhere on the box that the lancing tool and lancets come together in the box.  I could leave a question at Amazon and wait for someone to answer, but I want to order the lancets today.

Do the lancets and lancing tool come in the same box?

Carol_42

Not a Once Touch Delica, but I have been using my One Touch lancing device that came with my Animas insulin pump for almost 7 years. I have used other devices long term also, switching only when this one came with my Ping. Nothing has ever happens to my device. Depending upon what your habits are, maybe an extra one is good to have if you are prone to losing things. And $60 is way too much to pay. It is nothing but a piece of plastic with a spring in it. I have no idea about your question about fasting tests on a Relion meter. Someone else will likely come around soon and can answer your questions better.

I'm pre-diabetic and haven't spoken to a doctor about lancing devices and lancets.  This forum is where I get most of my education on the subject of the BigD.  The new GP I have now is allowing me to venture out on my own to see if I can get my weight and A1C levels down by April 11th.  That's when I will have my new A1C levels.  And, yes, I thought $60 was a ridiculous price.

NoraWI

You have a limited time to edit your posts. I think the amount of time is 15 minutes. No, I do not think that the lancing devices come with the lancets. That will be a separate purchase. However, sometimes they will include a sample of the lancets... maybe 3 or 4. Read the description of the item. If it doesn't include anything about lancets, then they have to be purchased separately. Newbies are told to change lancets every time they test. That's a waste of money. I (and many others) use the lancets until they feel dull. Sometimes that happens months away even though I test 4 to 8 times each day. The price of the lancing device you quote now is perfect. I hope you don't have to pay something astronomical for shipping. Go for it!

Carol_42

Amazon again: 

What is the difference between a One Touch Delica Lansing Device and a Lifescan One Touch Delica Lansing Device?  The difference in price is about 41 cents.

And do they both work with the One Touch Delica 30 gauge Lancets?

Carol_42

You have a limited time to edit your posts. I think the amount of time is 15 minutes. No, I do not think that the lancing devices come with the lancets. That will be a separate purchase. However, sometimes they will include a sample of the lancets... maybe 3 or 4. Read the description of the item. If it doesn't include anything about lancets, then they have to be purchased separately. Newbies are told to change lancets every time they test. That's a waste of money. I (and many others) use the lancets until they feel dull. Sometimes that happens months away even though I test 4 to 8 times each day. The price of the lancing device you quote now is perfect. I hope you don't have to pay something astronomical for shipping. Go for it!

Thank you for your input about editing my post.  And thanks for your feedback on "all things lancet".  One of my problems, is the site (Amazon) doesn't give much information on the box.  But I believe you are correct by saying, if it doesn't list the two together on the box, I will need to buy the lancets and device separately. 

I'm very new at this and frustrated because don't know what I am doing.   

JohnSchroeder

You're way overthinking and worrying too much about the lancing device and lancets.  its really not a big deal.

Yes, they will be sold separately.  You only need a single lancing device. They don't break or wear out in any time frame that requires you have backups.

Lancets:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OneTouch-Delica-Extra-Fine-33-Gauge-Lancets-100-count/51432442?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227040859598&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=97257272912&wl4=pla-198785871872&wl5=9026809&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_multichannel&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=51432442&wl13=&veh=sem

Lancing device:

I actually didn't see this being sold on Walmart.com.  I did see an expensive bulk back, but you only need one.  So found this one:

https://www.medicalsupplycorner.com/onetouch-delica-lancing-device-1-ea/?gclid=CJrk2N-vktICFQkxaQodCxEKuQ

Edit:  I didn't shop around.. was primarily just looking for the items.  So you might find better prices elsewhere.

adwdiates.com is good,

totaldiabetessupply.com is good too.

NoraWI

Unfortunately, the health profession doesn't take diabetes seriously enough to provide useful information to the newly diagnosed. It is my pet peeve. They tell you you have diabetes (or pre-diabetes, which is actually the first step in the T2 diabetic continuum) without telling you what you need to do to keep yourself from going up that ladder. If you ask your doctor about lancets or diet, they slough you off because they know nothing about these things. All they seem to know about is medications. They don't even know about all the *flavors* of diabetes that exist out there. One has to do as you have done... educate oneself. And the internet is the best place to do that quickly, discerningly and fast. However, if one mentions the internet to the health professionals, they poo-poo it and act as though you have violated some kind of unspecified rule. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent... :(

Carol_42

Unfortunately, the health profession doesn't take diabetes seriously enough to provide useful information to the newly diagnosed. It is my pet peeve. They tell you you have diabetes (or pre-diabetes, which is actually the first step in the T2 diabetic continuum) without telling you what you need to do to keep yourself from going up that ladder. If you ask your doctor about lancets or diet, they slough you off because they know nothing about these things. All they seem to know about is medications. They don't even know about all the *flavors* of diabetes that exist out there. One has to do as you have done... educate oneself. And the internet is the best place to do that quickly, discerningly and fast. However, if one mentions the internet to the health professionals, they poo-poo it and act as though you have violated some kind of unspecified rule. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent... :(

Wow!@#*  You and I think so much alike.  Doctor neglect and abuse is all part of my frustration today.  I'm ready to slug my GP right in the mouth, against the wall, under the desk, and over the railing.  My last visit was all about her wanting to prescribe about four different meds, all of which I refused.  But I didn't give her a chance to prescribe anything about diabetes because I told her I am working on losing weight and watching carbs.  That's when she said, "Okay, we'll try it your way".  So I have an appointment with her on April 11th, and I'll be BG tested before that.  Fingers and toes are crossed, there will be an improvement in A1C.

Seagal

Sounds like if you are looking for lancets, you are testing.  Good for you and with your great attitude I bet you see improvement in your next A1c.

I have a Delica and like the way it works, I change my lancet when it starts to hurt which is about once every 4 months (or so).

I am not sure, but I believe the One Touch Delica and the LifeScan one touch Delica are the same.  Check out Life Scan's site for any comparison, which might help.

kooka

I have a One Touch and a One Touch Ultra and a Solus. I use a lancing device I bought at Kroger for about $5.00 and needles are cheap at most chain stores. They work in my two different lancing devices.

meyery2k

I have the One Touch Delica lancing tool.  Insurance covered it so I don't know what the cost was/is.  Had it for over one year and have probably used it over 1000 times with no problems.

If possible, just get 1 tool.  They are a simple mechanical device so I wouldn't expect it to break.

Many here, myself included, reuse the lancets.  I was horrified at first but now I find that I am simply to lazy to be bothered with changing the lancet which is sad since they are covered by insurance and I have more than I will ever need now lol...

There is no reason I can think of NOT to use a Relion meter for fasting testing.  There are many other posts about meters and they really seem to break down to they are much the same.  I just use my One Touch because the prescription calls to test before breakfast and the One Touch strips (1 per day) are covered.  I then use the Relion for everything else because One Touch strips are expensive and I didn't want to burn through them (at my own expense since I would run out) when figuring out how I worked.

If you are the curious sort, Walmart sells a home A1C test for about $20 for 2 tests.  I test my A1C at the end of every month as a confirmation of my fasting scores.  My own personal observation is that they are very close to the test given at the doctor's office.

Some here like the 30 gauge lancets because they yield a drop of blood easier.  I personally prefer the 33 ga. (in needles and wire the higher the number the smaller the diameter) since it is not as painful.  Once I got used to lancing it is just another thing I do. 

I HATED the Relion lancing device.  Even now it just seems to punch into my finger (even on the lowest setting) and yield way too much blood.

Very good that you are testing.  I am confident you will have a good handle on this.

Kit

As others mentioned, you only need 1 lancing device, and a box of lancets.  They are sold separately from one another.  I've been using my lancing device for 3 years now with no problems.

A box of lancets comes with 100 lancets in them.  I change mine out about once a month, so I expect that box to last me for about 8 years.  I do have a spare lancing device that I got in case I might loose the other one.  I tend to loose things easily.  But it still sits in my bathroom drawer and has only been used once to make sure it was working properly.

I use my ReliOn Prime exclusively now so I see no reason why not to use it for the morning reading.

MaryannW

I also use the One Touch Delica and the Ultra Fine lancets.  I have seen them at the grocery store and they are sold separately.  The lancets usually come 100 to a box. I've been changing them out less and less (might be getting a bit lazy, especially in the morning). The only thing I run into is that my fingers sometimes seem to have no blood(!) and I have to do numerous sticks - ouch!  Might have to turn it up a notch!

Kit

I can't get blood out of my fingers with the really fine lancets no matter how deep I set the depth.  I have to use the 30 gauge.  Then I can usually get away with setting the depth at 1 or 2.

Carol_42

Sounds like if you are looking for lancets, you are testing.  Good for you and with your great attitude I bet you see improvement in your next A1c.

I have a Delica and like the way it works, I change my lancet when it starts to hurt which is about once every 4 months (or so).

I am not sure, but I believe the One Touch Delica and the LifeScan one touch Delica are the same.  Check out Life Scan's site for any comparison, which might help.

Thanks for the perk.  I really need that today, athough I am more relaxed, now that I have ordered "everything meter and lancet" today.  I should have everything within in a week and then I'll be back here yelping for guidance.

Carol_42

I also use the One Touch Delica and the Ultra Fine lancets.  I have seen them at the grocery store and they are sold separately.  The lancets usually come 100 to a box. I've been changing them out less and less (might be getting a bit lazy, especially in the morning). The only thing I run into is that my fingers sometimes seem to have no blood(!) and I have to do numerous sticks - ouch!  Might have to turn it up a notch!

"...my fingers sometimes seem to have no blood".  <G>  Forgive me grinning but that hit me so funny.  I ordered the 30 gauge because most of the reviews I've read today at Amazon seemed to get better blood-poke effects with the 30 as opposed to the 33.  I hope I don't have any problems.

Carol_42

As others mentioned, you only need 1 lancing device, and a box of lancets.  They are sold separately from one another.  I've been using my lancing device for 3 years now with no problems.

A box of lancets comes with 100 lancets in them.  I change mine out about once a month, so I expect that box to last me for about 8 years.  I do have a spare lancing device that I got in case I might loose the other one.  I tend to loose things easily.  But it still sits in my bathroom drawer and has only been used once to make sure it was working properly.

I use my ReliOn Prime exclusively now so I see no reason why not to use it for the morning reading.

Are you saying you use one and the same lancet in your lancing device for a month?  So you use alcohol to sterilize the lancet after each use? several times a day for the month?  The thought of that scares me.  <smile>  I look forward to using the ReliOn Prime.

Kit

Are you saying you use one and the same lancet in your lancing device for a month?  So you use alcohol to sterilize the lancet after each use? several times a day for the month?  The thought of that scares me.  <smile>  I look forward to using the ReliOn Prime.

Yep, I usually change the lancet in the lancing device on the first of the month.  I don't clean it, wipe it down, etc.  3 years and no problem so far.  Others go a lot longer than I do.

Carol_42

I can't get blood out of my fingers with the really fine lancets no matter how deep I set the depth.  I have to use the 30 gauge.  Then I can usually get away with setting the depth at 1 or 2.

Setting the depth ... now that's something else I need to learn about.  I also need to learn how to get the blood on the strips and into the meter.

Carol_42

Yep, I usually change the lancet in the lancing device on the first of the month.  I don't clean it, wipe it down, etc.  3 years and no problem so far.  Others go a lot longer than I do.

I am speechless: almost.  How do you keep from getting infections?

Carol_42

If you are the curious sort, Walmart sells a home A1C test for about $20 for 2 tests.  I test my A1C at the end of every month as a confirmation of my fasting scores.  My own personal observation is that they are very close to the test given at the doctor's office.

You know I am curious, Mike.  <G>  Is it wise, or necessary, to test A1C once a month?  I thought 90 days was the average.  But then I am new at this so what do I know.

Kit

Once you get the equipment, start with the lowest depth and then increase until you can get a drop of blood large enough.  It takes a little practice but after a while is pretty easy.

Here's a video on the ReliOn prime and how to fill the strip, etc.

https://youtu.be/ZDXBt9oy8_8?t=512

This should take you to about 8:30 where they actually talk about the steps.

This video gives instructions on using the One Touch Delica lancing device.  They have you loading and unloading it in every use.  I think they just want to sell more lancets.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFC0gpzxhg

Kit

I am speechless: almost.  How do you keep from getting infections?

I wash my hands before testing to make sure there's nothing on them that could affect the readings.

But in all honesty, we're not talking serious stabs here.  We're talking tiny pricks.  I draw more blood trying attempting to sew.

And, to draw more horror, after I put the blood on the strip, I stick my finger in my mouth to wash away any residual blood.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.