Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Do naps affect blood sugar readings?

PatriciaJ

Before breakfast my BS was 92. After a breakfast consisting of a blueberry muffin, a small banana, and coffee, the 2 hours post reading was 133. I know I shouldn't have had the muffin, but it was a left over from breakfast yesterday at a restaurant, I suspected the reading would be high, but I figured it would be the only carb I have today. Instead of taking my usual morning walk, I was tired and took a nap. I woke up 1 1/2 hours later (so that would be 3 1/2 hours after the breakfast and the reading was 130. Gee, it didn't go down much and I'm wondering if napping after a meal always has this effect on other people too??

Another question: How often is it safe to use a single lancet? And how do you clean it to prepare for the next BS testing?

kooka

Carbs make you sleepy. Think of the difference between a steak and a bowl of spaghetti. The steak gives you energy. The spaghetti fills you up and makes you want to lay down. As for the lancets. I use mine til they get dull. Usually a couple of months. I occasionally rinse it with alcohol.

Kit

Unless I get hit with dawn phenomena, which is becoming more and more rare, I will usually wake up within a few points of when I went to sleep, regardless of when I sleep.

I change my lancets monthly (usually on the first day of the month).  Others can go much longer, but around the end of the month I start to notice the pricks a little more and the spot where I lanced myself can be a little sore for a day or so.

The only time I cleaned a lancet was once when I suspected there might be residue on it affecting my readings.  Then I just wiped it down well with alcohol.  Didn't make any difference to the reading.  :D

NoraWI

I never clean the lancets and use them until someone else wants me to test them. Then I change them twice... before I test them and then afterwards before resuming my own tests. I never use alcohol on my hands either. Washing well with soap and warm water does the job.

I think you took the nap BECAUSE you had eaten the muffin and the banana and your blood glucose level got high. Eat a breakfast of eggs with bacon or sausage, NO toast or muffin. That will keep you full until lunchtime and not load you up with carbs.

dowling gram

You had way more carbs than were in that muffin. The muffin was bad enough but to add a banana on top was carb overload.

1 Medium Blueberry muffin has 54.24 G carbs and 2.9 G fiber for a total of 51.34 net carbs

1 Medium banana has 26.95 G of carbs and 3.1 G fiber for a total of 23.85 net carbs

You ate a total of 75.19 net carbs.

No matter what you did after eating your blood glucose would be high at 2 and 3 and maybe 4 hours. Exercise would have lowered it a bit but you would not use up all those carbs. Taking a nap would not allow you to burn off carbs so your BG would lower slowly.

Next time you want a muffin make it a muffin in a mug made with almond flower or flax or a combination of both

funkynassau

I use my lancet til it hurts, which is usually after many months.  I dont wash them in any way.

The muffin and the banana were your downfall!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.