Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Kit

I've read of studies that show it can help with neuropathy, but that's about it.  Others here have mentioned taking it.  Blood Sugar 101 does site legitimate studies that it can be helpful for neuropathy.  I have not run across anything that says it helps with blood glucose control or similar.  But then I never really looked into it in depth.

NoraWI

What happens is that many DF members find that reducing the number of carbohydrates they consume and exercising does the job. It's a bit harder than swallowing a pill or a capsule, but, oh, so much more effective.

adiantum

It worked for me !!!

What happens is that many DF members find that reducing the number of carbohydrates they consume and exercising does the job. It's a bit harder than swallowing a pill or a capsule, but, oh, so much more effective.

samuraiguy

Since no herbal (or otherwise) supplements have FDA approval as far as their efficacy in treating anything (safe to consume is all they can confirm) so unfortunately that leaves you as your own Guinea pig regardless of how well it works for someone else. I give things like this a three month period and to be scientific change nothing else in my management routine besides just taking the supplement.

GrammaBear

In the early days before I learned about LCHF my blood sugar numbers were always high.  The doctor who diagnosed me never once advised me to keep my numbers under control to avoid complications.  So, as a result I do have neuropathy and I take alpha lipoic acid along with evening primrose oil and my neuropathy is tolerable.  I make no claims about it helping anyone else, but it seems to work for me.

Seagal

I take it for inflammatory benefits and take the R-ala which is twice as effective than the Ala and it includes the necessary biotin.

jwags

I do take it twice a day for neuropathy. It may lessen it but it hasn't completely reversed it. My diabetes meds and lower carb diet are what controls my bgs.

ran23

my bad, I was taking 400 mg before, waiting on that order refill, I found the other 500mg Natrol.  any difference this morning?   not really.

stevenal

I take the Life Extensions Super RALA, twice a day. When attempting to lower my supplement bill, I tried going to once a day. After noticing increased burning in my feet, I went back to twice. I did manage to drop the biotin without noticing any ill effect.

Mikael26288

My wife's Doctor told my wife to take 600mg. of  Alpha Lipoic Acid once a day for her neuropathy in her feet. It has helped her so far.

I also started taking 600mg. once a day and I have seen my glucose numbers throughout the day showing lower numbers. It has also lowered my Liver Function numbers also. I also have Gilbert's Syndrome.

The only place we can find Alpha Lipoic Acid in 600 mg. tablets is the GNC. Rite Aid can get it, but they must order it.

GrammaBear

My wife's Doctor told my wife to take 600mg. of  Alpha Lipoic Acid once a day for her neuropathy in her feet. It has helped her so far.

I also started taking 600mg. once a day and I have seen my glucose numbers throughout the day showing lower numbers. It has also lowered my Liver Function numbers also. I also have Gilbert's Syndrome.

The only place we can find Alpha Lipoic Acid in 600 mg. tablets is the GNC. Rite Aid can get it, but they must order i

I also take Alpha Lipoic Acid for neuropathy and I order mine online at various places.  Type into 'Google' and you will see numerous places that sell it.  GNC is only one place of many.

ran23

Kicked my Biotin to 10,000 and hair is growing back.    ALA to 700mg and  started Taurine 500mg.  Lately my glucose has come down.   diet? or this?  combo is working for me.  

Seagal

Dr. Bernstein at one time recommended Insulow - combined R-ALA & biotin.

Hard to find anything new about the company and they don't respond to emails anymore:(

Have tried four or five different R-ALA products and usually go back to Insulow - it helps with many ailments. (R-ALA)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.